• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ohio Supreme Court To Decide Whether Gun Owners Can Drink At Home - Bearing Arms

Arguments set for case of Ohio gun owner drunk inside house

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The Ohio Supreme Court will hear arguments in February to decide whether a law prohibiting gun owners from carrying firearms while intoxicated should be applied inside a gun owner’s home.

Lawyers for a Clermont County man arrested in 2018 after he acknowledged having an unloaded shotgun while drunk say the law is unconstitutional when applied to homeowners.

They say a person’s sobriety or intoxication level should have nothing to do with possessing a weapon “in the hearth and home.”

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That is the state that elected Howard Metzenbaum to some office for like 50 years, so there you go.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    WOW! I knew some states were using alcohol laws to curtail gun rights but this is unreal...

Michigan effectively eliminates defense carry, with a .02 alcohol limit while carrying, so one cannot carry for defense and have a beer or glass of wine with the wife at dinner without risk...

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    And where is "the rest of the story"? There was something else going on here that we are not being told, why were the police involved? What law was being broken that got the police involved? Was the man arrested for intoxication, waving the gun around at others present, threatened someone?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    WOW! I knew some states were using alcohol laws to curtail gun rights but this is unreal...

Michigan effectively eliminates defense carry, with a .02 alcohol limit while carrying, so one cannot carry for defense and have a beer or glass of wine with the wife at dinner without risk...

Not endorsing the law, but "effectively eliminates" isn't correct. I would say most people walk around most of the time below a .02.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not endorsing the law, but "effectively eliminates" isn't correct. I would say most people walk around most of the time below a .02.

..."effectively eliminates", dinner and drinks with the wife was intended (though I missed the target), even if not driving, if one wants to carry for defense...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My question is how did this get to the courts?

Ohio passed a law that said you couldn't possess a firearm while intoxicated. Wife calls the cops on a domestic, but tells the cops there's no problem when they get there. She lets the cops in, def. walks into the room with an unloaded shotgun and 3 sheets....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

So, the last trip I took to Detroit, I was violating the law. Bummer. Will one drink will put an average size male at .02?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So I guess that if you own a firearm, Ohio is going to station a police person inside your home to arrest you if you take a sip of beer during a football game.

The ultimate prohibition? Own a firearm, turn in your booze. Own booze, turn in your firearm.

And just when you thought they have come up with the stupidest, they find a way to go even more stupid.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I knew there was more to the story!!! Domestic, wife calls 911, reports hubby has a gun & is drunk, then tells po-po that everything is ok now, then invited po-po in. Sounds like a lot of stupid in that house.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So, the last trip I took to Detroit, I was violating the law. Bummer. Will one drink will put an average size male at .02?

An average (175# ish) male who drinks one standard drink (5-5.5%ABV 12oz beer, 12% 5oz wine, 40% 1oz liquor) will raise their Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) by approximately .015% per drink. Conversely, that same male will metabolize the alcohol at a rate of approximately .0145% per hour. The math says that one drink will be effectively out of your system in one hour. Two drinks in an hour will leave you, at the end of the hour, at approximately .015%. There are a couple factors that effect the rate of absorption, like food in the stomach, but the above is a good reference.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I knew there was more to the story!!! Domestic, wife calls 911, reports hubby has a gun & is drunk, then tells po-po that everything is ok now, then invited po-po in. Sounds like a lot of stupid in that house.

Yep. He got married.

Top Bottom