• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    On July 1, 2020 the old 4 year license becomes the new 5 year license, AND YOU CAN HAVE BOTH LIFETIME AND GET THE 5 YEAR! It is NICS aligned and will be free. Hopefully, the Attorney General will rule that since this license is NICS aligned, it will supplant having to fill out the 4473 every time you purchase a firearm. Even if you have a lifetime license and don't need/want the 5 year, GET IT ANYWAY, because hopefully, the police will get so tired of doing all of that work to give out a free license that they will lessen their resistance to Constitutional Carry. Try to talk everyone you know into getting one!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Craaaaap, my 4 year runs out in June. It took the full 90 days to get when I first applied. Guess that means I have to choose between paying for an old license renewal or giving up on carry for ~4 months to get the new one for free.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Get the lifetime so you don't have to worry about the expiration date.

Then in July get the 5 year for free and hope that it stops the 4473.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    On July 1, 2020 the old 4 year license becomes the new 5 year license, AND YOU CAN HAVE BOTH LIFETIME AND GET THE 5 YEAR! It is NICS aligned and will be free. Hopefully, the Attorney General will rule that since this license is NICS aligned, it will supplant having to fill out the 4473 every time you purchase a firearm. Even if you have a lifetime license and don't need/want the 5 year, GET IT ANYWAY, because hopefully, the police will get so tired of doing all of that work to give out a free license that they will lessen their resistance to Constitutional Carry. Try to talk everyone you know into getting one!
    The 4473 requirement will not go away. You will still fill out the paperwork, they just won’t call it in!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Craaaaap, my 4 year runs out in June. It took the full 90 days to get when I first applied. Guess that means I have to choose between paying for an old license renewal or giving up on carry for ~4 months to get the new one for free.

I believe having proof of renewal submitted paperwork is sufficient to legally carry. Down to a month gap but I agree with the others, just get the lifetime and be done with it.

getting the 5yr in addition to the LT will also prove interest in it. The more people get it, the more effort they put into into maintaining it and pushing for the NICS bypass part.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OK, so serious question here:

Would having the 5yr license bypass the issue with needing to have your FULL middle name on both drivers license and the 4473? What says INGO??

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is getting this license free? I mean I know the license itself is but what about the other fees like finger prints?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Get the lifetime so you don't have to worry about the expiration date.

Then in July get the 5 year for free and hope that it stops the 4473.
    Nothing outside a private sale stops the 4473, if you buy at a dealer you fil out the form. A NICS compatible License(which our 5 year is not yet) only precludes the need to call in the 4473 info to NICS. As of right now our 5 year is not yet recognized as NICS compliant.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Does anyone else think the wait times for these new licenses are going to be unusually long? Especially if people with lifetime licenses also want this one.

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Is getting this license free? I mean I know the license itself is but what about the other fees like finger prints?

This is language currently in IC 35-47-2-3:
    [FONT=&quot]“Rules adopted under this section must require the superintendent to keep on file one (1) set of classifiable and legible fingerprints from every person who has received a license to carry a handgun so that a person who applies to renew a license will not be required to submit an additional set of fingerprints.”[/FONT]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is language currently in IC 35-47-2-3:
    [FONT="]“Rules adopted under this section must require the superintendent to keep on file one (1) set of classifiable and legible fingerprints from every person who has received a license to carry a handgun so that a person who applies to renew a license will not be required to submit an additional set of fingerprints.”[/FONT]

Interesting. Thanks, I’d never read that before. So...is safe to infer then, that if I were to apply for the new 5 year license, I would not have to get re-printed? What about the fees the local sheriff/police departments charge?

ISP3435

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Part of the reason they are keeping the permit process and not the 2A carry, Is because of the reciprocity of other states. If we went full 2A, Hoosiers may no longer be able to carry in some other states. So instead, they went the free route. This is how it was explained to us at least.

ISP3435

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    We were also informed that some states that do honor our 5 year permit, do not honor our lifetime.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Part of the reason they are keeping the permit process and not the 2A carry, Is because of the reciprocity of other states. If we went full 2A, Hoosiers may no longer be able to carry in some other states. So instead, they went the free route. This is how it was explained to us at least.

The last couple of constitutional carry bills I’m familiar with had provisions in them to maintain a carry license for reciprocity. I am of the understanding that all of the states that enacted constitutional carry also maintained a “traditional” licensing scheme primarily for reciprocity reasons.

Top Bottom