Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Master

User Info Menu

Red flag law used against police officer in Colorado

This is early, but if Ammoland's info here is correct, this is a clearly abusive use of the Red Flag law in Colorado that took effect 1/1/20.

Summary:
    -Officer is forced to shoot a suicidal man in 2017 (death by cop)
    -Mother files a red flag order against him using a twisted interpretation of the form
    -Officer must now defend himself in court (likely will succeed, but must prove innocence)
    -Even if everything works out for the best, any repercussions against her must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

The video also goes on to talk about the situation in Virginia, etc.

Relevant content starts at 1:08-
    Every anti-Trump bombshell: Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    This is early, but if Ammoland's info here is correct, this is a clearly abusive use of the Red Flag law in Colorado that took effect 1/1/20.

Summary:
    -Officer is forced to shoot a suicidal man in 2017 (death by cop)
    -Mother files a red flag order against him using a twisted interpretation of the form
    -Officer must now defend himself in court (likely will succeed, but must prove innocence)
    -Even if everything works out for the best, any repercussions against her must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

The video also goes on to talk about the situation in Virginia, etc.

User Info Menu

Lost me with "if Ammoland's info here is correct".

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Re...567025131.html
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

I know thereís a bill proposed here that would provide or enhance repercussions for those that intentionally try to use our red flag laws against someone. From what Iíve read, this case is clearly an act of malicious revenge. I have to wonder how the proposed law would provide any relief or remedy or whatever if it were in effect.
    INGOer #18,319

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Lost me with "if Ammoland's info here is correct".

https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Re...567025131.html
    Why? Sounds like the info was spot-on. Good to know that the court decided not to enforce the red-flag order today.
    Every anti-Trump bombshell: Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    Why? Sounds like the info was spot-on. Good to know that the court decided not to enforce the red-flag order today.
    The part where he had to prove his innocence? Reasonable doubt for any repercussion? Neither true.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I think that our friends law enforcement need to be very concerned about the red flag law trend. Especially those in Indiana that believe because our law was named after a fallen officer it is good.

Article from Law Enforcement Today...

Red Flag Laws Are Going To Be Used Against Those With PTSD

...I canít tell you how many cops weíve had on our show Behind the Uniforms that have all agreed on one thing Ė PTS is rampant, and yet nobody can suffer from it. It canít possibly exist.

Huh? How can post-traumatic stress run rampantÖ but nobody suffer from it?

Itís simple. Officers keep it bottled up because the alternative, for so many of them, isnít an option.

The alternative is kissing your career goodbye. Your ability to provide for your family. Your ability to protect your family...

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

The government has been trying to figure out how to disarm our combat veterans for years. PTSD is looking like their excuse. Any veteran that owns firearms and wants to keep them doesn't tell them he has PTSD or he will lose them for good. So they now have a choice report get help get treatment and treated like a felon. Or deal with it themselves and keep their Constitutional rights. Horrible choice.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...nt-rights.html
    Be always vigilant brothers.
    Last edited by DadSmith; 01-17-2020 at 08:47.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    The government has been trying to figure out how to disarm our combat veterans for years. PTSD is looking like their excuse. Any veteran that owns firearms and wants to keep them doesn't tell them he has PTSD or he will lose them for good. So they now have a choice report get help get treatment and treated like a felon. Or deal with it themselves and keep their Constitutional rights. Horrible choice.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...nt-rights.html
    Be always vigilant brothers.
    As wikipedia would say, "citation needed".

We seem to have hit an impasse - after some mass shooting incident, people (including a lot of gun owners) cry, "we should keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill!", but then when a law comes around to do just that, it's portrayed as a backdoor confiscation scheme or a secret plot to disarm a particular group.

I don't know exactly what the answer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    As wikipedia would say, "citation needed".

We seem to have hit an impasse - after some mass shooting incident, people (including a lot of gun owners) cry, "we should keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill!", but then when a law comes around to do just that, it's portrayed as a backdoor confiscation scheme or a secret plot to disarm a particular group.

I don't know exactly what the answer is.
    We need to start locking up clearly mentally ill dangerous people. Lots of people have mental "illness" that are no threat to anyone.
    But many are big threats to other people. Why are they free? They need committed and getting care. We waste trillions of dollars on foreign wars that do nothing and wars on drugs which are not only domestic but span internationaly, while here at home we have lunatics walking the streets committing acts of violence. I believe a majority of these could be prevented if we build and start committing the violently mentally ill of this country in facilities. This should be a top priority of any administration.

NRA Patron Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast