Could a Federal UBC law have a potentially good side effect???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Legal scholars weigh in here............

Follow my logic...... The federal govt passes a UBC law that "prevents" the transfer of any weapon from anyone to anyone without a FFL doing a background check. Wouldn't this invalidate every state Red Flag law in the country?? Wouldn't it be "theoretically" impossible for any local, county, state law enforcement officer to take possession of ANY confiscated weapon because they haven't gone thru a background check? Wouldn't it be possible for anyone who's had their weapon confiscated to have such officer arrested on FEDERAL charges for failure to have such background check performed by an FFL?????

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    200.gif

LOL no. These would all be IN ADDITION to the other "effective" laws.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I'll go make another batch - this could be longer than The Irishman.

As to Red Flags and the like, no this doesn't address the same things. I posted a study in the other thread that shows that in Indiana Jake Laird's Law has a noticeable effect on suicide rates. People aren't born suicidal, hence they can become suicide after a firearm purchase. The same is true for other mental illnesses.

After reading the rest of your post, I'll not sure you understand why and how red flag laws work.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'll go make another batch - this could be longer than The Irishman.

As to Red Flags and the like, no this doesn't address the same things. I posted a study in the other thread that shows that in Indiana Jake Laird's Law has a noticeable effect on suicide rates. People aren't born suicidal, hence they can become suicide after a firearm purchase. The same is true for other mental illnesses.

After reading the rest of your post, I'll not sure you understand why and how red flag laws work.

But how can a cop take my gun without passing a background check to acquire that gun??

(purple, if it really needs said)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Under this logic police couldn't seize firearms for evidence.

Even if you had a legitimate legal argument, your argument would need to be enforced by the legal system, and it would never happen.

There are probably zero good side effects to a federal UBC law; this surely isn't an example of one.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Well, first the trade off still wouldn't be worth it. Secondly, there's always a carve out exemption. I think after decades of being backstabbed and short changed on various laws you would never be able to convince a significant number of gun owners to ever support UBC laws in trade for something else.

Stay cynical!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Remind me who this "law" is supposed to target again? Criminals?

What at the odds that it would be abused against law abiding gun owners?

(If you believe the .gov types wouldn't abuse this you should stop by the FISA thread for a looksee...)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I fail to see how a law which depends on people voluntarily complying with it is targeted at "criminals".

All new laws only target criminals.
    Why else would they need a law if not to stop an illegal activity?
    When it gets enacted the criminals will comply, they can no longer buy or sell a gun otherwise.
    This will have gun crime eliminated overnight.
    Rainbows man, rainbows and ****ing unicorns.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    States ignore federal law, when is suits them, ALL THE TIME.

And, don't you worry your pretty little head, LE will be exempt from pretty much anything. If not in writing, then in practice.

Top Bottom