• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AirplaneGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    Indianapolis
    This may end up being a stupid question and I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask, but after googling for days and using the search function I can't really find what I'm looking for.

Some friends and I would like to retire an old car with some flair. I've kept it alive to 400k miles and its been a nightmare so, appropriately, she wants to gun it down.

I know in some places, dischargng a weapon on private property is fine if you're X distance from the municipality/town/etc. However none of these places I know of would be suitable for what we're trying to do. I also that "target shooting" has a kind of weird definition in some places. Obviously the basics apply, no shooting across a public road, outside the proper municipality, everyone shooting is responsible for the round fired when/where it lands, and a moderate amount of common sense.

So I'm trying to figure out the following::

1. Is it even legal to have a small group of people to fire at a vehicle on private property?
    2. Is it considered target shooting?
    3. Assuming it's legal, what kind of precautions should be taken? Substantial back stop, marked "range" area, etc.

Is there anything in not thinking of? Or perhaps I'm overthinking the whole ordeal?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I’m sure some of our LEO’s will have a legal answer, and possibly one I may not be aware of, but if it’s a property that is legal to shoot on I think you’re good to go. I don’t see any reason a car would be any different than any other regular target, given you do so safely.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I will say one thing, that is a quality post. Not a wall of text, lays out the issue and concerns.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    IF you do it, drain ALL of the fluids, put it up on wood blocks, remove the engine, trans, wheels, and brakes. This prevents contamination of the ground and ricochetes from the solid parts... engine block, wheels, and brakes.

AirplaneGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    Indianapolis
    It really depends on the laws of the location you plan to use. Without that info, we can't be of much help.

That's part of the problem. I'm having problems picking a place because I can't seem to track down local ordinances. I think I'm just gonna call some sheriff's departments and from friends in different countries and see what I can pull together.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you could wait until April, maybe you could tow it down to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. Maybe they would take it as a donation, and may be able to hook you up with somebody that has a full auto 50 cal. ;) Down there, explosions are encouraged (and controlled). :biggun:

AirplaneGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    Indianapolis
    If you could wait until April, maybe you could tow it down to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. Maybe they would take it as a donation, and may be able to hook you up with somebody that has a full auto 50 cal. ;) Down there, explosions are encouraged (and controlled). :biggun:

THAT, is a really good idea. I should've thought about donating it to a sanctioned event first. Thank you.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I was going to suggest Knob Creek. Heck they may even let you all have first crack for a donated vehicle.

Top Bottom