• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    That is great. Seems like a great idea and I back it 100%. I lived in Alabama and actually held a LTC in both Alabama and Indiana while I was in the service. I found Indiana to be a little more gun friendly than Alabama back in the 90's.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I'm left with a couple of questions. First, do we call the AG or our legislative reps? Some states handle things like this with agreements like reciprocity.

Secondly, is this just another thing Indiana will ignore like Constitutional Carry because the leadership is comfortable with their status quo and certain in their broad majority?
    Politicians tend to get lazy when there's no real competition.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    States can refuse to enforce federal law or assist the feds in enforcing federal law.

Full stop.

Any state law or groups of states with laws, that proposes to tell the feds what they can or cannot do within a state is complete and utter nonsense.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    U.S. Constitution-

Article I

Section 10

Paragraph 3:

3: No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Is this going to be one of those things where we decide which parts of the Constitution we like and which parts we don't like?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    U.S. Constitution-

Article I

Section 10

Paragraph 3:

Is this going to be one of those things where we decide which parts of the Constitution we like and which parts we don't like?

A State asserting its sovereignty and walking away on its own does not require a pact with another State. Following the walking away, the Constitution does not apply.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I will agree that the states retain the sovereignty they did not willingly relinquish when joining the United States....but they gave up a whole heck of a lot of sovereignty.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What one delegates to another, one can withdraw from that other.

Secede!!!

Well, they willingly joined a Union with a clearly defined manner of adding states, and no provision for them to leave.

That tells me that there is no legal way to leave the Union and the only way out is by agreement or rebellion. History backs me up on this.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The document is silent to the matter. Thus, no provision is needed. The Tenth, and even the Ninth, say as much.

That son of a ***** Lincoln might back you up on it.

Jefferson certainly would not. The Declaration of Independence would not. Natural law would not.

Secede!

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Honestly, I didn't have much of a legal opinion when I posted this. I was however interested in seeing a few. So basically if Indiana decided to do this all on It's own that's just spiffy. If it agrees to do this in cooperation with other states that's a revolt? Is that what I'm reading?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Honestly, I didn't have much of a legal opinion when I posted this. I was however interested in seeing a few. So basically if Indiana decided to do this all on It's own that's just spiffy. If it agrees to do this in cooperation with other states that's a revolt? Is that what I'm reading?

Three separate issues.

1) States do not have to assist the feds in enforcing federal law.

2) No state can legally prevent the feds from enforcing federal laws in the state. Period. End of discussion. (this is a big part of the OP video...and illegal)

3) States cannot enter into "compacts" with other states for any reason unless Congress approves. However, if the Justice Dept. ignores compacts, then, though illegal, until someone makes a stink, they can operate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Three separate issues.

1) States do not have to assist the feds in enforcing federal law.

2) No state can legally prevent the feds from enforcing federal laws in the state. Period. End of discussion. (this is a big part of the OP video...and illegal)

3) States cannot enter into "compacts" with other states for any reason unless Congress approves. However, if the Justice Dept. ignores compacts, then, though illegal, until someone makes a stink, they can operate.

Sorry for the thread jack, but how does this apply to the states that are entering into "compacts" to effectively eliminate the Electoral College (or at least radically change how the electoral votes are assigned)? Legal, or illegal? On the surface it seems similar, but maybe I'm missing something.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry for the thread jack, but how does this apply to the states that are entering into "compacts" to effectively eliminate the Electoral College (or at least radically change how the electoral votes are assigned)? Legal, or illegal? On the surface it seems similar, but maybe I'm missing something.

Can't do it without Congressional approval...or the federal government ignores it.

Top Bottom