Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Grandmaster LockStocksAndBarrel's Avatar

User Info Menu

My take is if "bear arms" or "keep arms" is in the context of the militia, fine. We are the militia so that point, to me, is moot. We all know what the context of "the people" means.

It are us'ins, as in youi'ns and me'ins.
    God bless America!

Practicing traditional carry.

Originally Posted by
    eric001YUP! It's the difference between using purple and being purple...

Plinker

User Info Menu

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". the commas explain everything and keeps it very simple. (A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State) describing. (the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed) the action. it is very simple to understand. its worded "people" Not militia to keep and bear arms. a grade school child can figure this out with the use of the grammar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlVine View Post
    Such articles are always annoying, because they examine the Second Amendment in a vacuum.
    That's the exact opposite of what happened. They did an in-depth examination of the usage of the words and phrases in as many documents from the time as they could possibly find.

The entire purpose was to identify the context.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CopperheadL View Post
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". the commas explain everything and keeps it very simple. (A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State) describing. (the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed) the action. it is very simple to understand. its worded "people" Not militia to keep and bear arms. a grade school child can figure this out with the use of the grammar.
    If the commas make it so simple, what is the purpose of the fourth one?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Amendment
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    I agree about an individual right unconnected to organized militia service, but I don't think it's valuable to our side to pretend that it couldn't have been worded better.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CampingJosh View Post
    If the commas make it so simple, what is the purpose of the fourth one?

I agree about an individual right unconnected to organized militia service, but I don't think it's valuable to our side to pretend that it couldn't have been worded better.

I doubt the Founders anticipated their writing being parsed so much...

User Info Menu

This article by J.Neil Schulman from the Constitution Society seemed like a good parsing of the words. I'm sure some of the good folk here on INGO have seen it before.

https://www.constitution.org/2ll/schol/2amd_grammar.htm
    Last edited by Al B; 03-04-2020 at 14:41.
    Creator, guide us, give us strength and wisdom to protect our families and nation.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

Let's help the anti's argue their points?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    I doubt the Founders anticipated their writing being parsed so much...
    Over half of the framers of the Constitution were lawyers. They were explicitly setting up a legal document. If they didn't expected the writing to be parsed so much, it could only be because they didn't expect it to be still in use for so long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Lets help the anti's argue their points?
    Let's get our points in order and quit using the weak ones that "the anti's" can so easily counter.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

We don't have any weak points.

Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast