Does the Affordable Care Act mean the Feds can no longer regulate machine guns?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... or maybe even did the 1986 implementation of 18 U.S.C. § 922(o) gut the Federal Government's power to regulate machine guns?

Inquiring minds want to know...

As I understand it so far (a first quick read and thus subject to error):
    The DOJ just dropped, or is in the process of dropping, an indictment for unlawful machine gun possession that was granted cert by SCOTUS because they may fear the "no machine guns" law as it is now promulgated may be ruled unconstitutional. And not (directly) on 2A grounds but on the fact that Congress's ability to legislate on firearms at all is based on its taxing authority (NFA is a 'revenue measure' under the IRS code). If they won't levy a tax on a machine gun, and in fact refuse to take a tax payment on it, have they removed entirely the government's ability to regulate them?

Came across this reading Clayton Cramer's blog. See his post here: https://claytonecramer.blogspot.com/2020/04/hard-to-believe.html

He references this post at Volokh Conspiracy about the case and the relationship to the ACA and the government's position on the "tax" that used to be required if you didn't have health insurance. https://reason.com/2020/04/22/doj-d...-prosecution-while-cert-petition-was-pending/

Cramer also references this much earlier case where part of an indictment for unregistered machine gun was dismissed by the federal district court because the 1986 law forbid the registration and taxing of machine guns: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...373&q=U.S.+v.+Rock+Island&hl=en&as_sdt=200006

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ever since RCRA, CERCLA were passed and enforced I don't count on the government obeying the constitution if it decides differently.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What?

"...Congress's ability to legislate on firearms at all is based on its taxing authority (NFA is a 'revenue measure' under the IRS code)…"

I'm amazed at the extent to which some nerdy people think the real world is obligated to follow rules of consistency. "Yeah, well, the court said this about healthcare..."

Not a law technician, but it would seem all that's needed is one example of a court-upheld firearms law involving an untaxed firearm of any kind, to shoot this theory.

If there were any real possibility of C3 items be(com)ing unregulated, I bet you'd have the Supreme Court canceling their vacations to hear the case and shoot it down. And failing that, you'd probably have all Congressional Democrats and half the Republicans lining up to fill the hopper with "legislative remedies" to regulate them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Constitutionally i don't see how they can tax arms or ammunition as it does infringe on those rights to keep and bear arms. Just like being forced to get a handgun carry permit to carry off property that's infringement. When you limit or try to undermine the 2nd that is infringement.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Constitutionally i don't see how they can tax arms or ammunition as it does infringe on those rights to keep and bear arms. Just like being forced to get a handgun carry permit to carry off property that's infringement. When you limit or try to undermine the 2nd that is infringement.

Ive argued for years its a poll tax of sorts. Imagine telling people to exercise their right to vote they have to pay for a tax stamp on their ballot. (of course, its more dangerous than a gun could ever be) They'd go ballistic. Yet they tell me I cant have an NFA item unless I pay a tax. Thats a direct taxation of the 2A. If you say "but what about the rest of the guns you CAN have without a tax?" OK, how about this that equates it more equally; No tax required to vote in the state elections. Vote all you want for your locals. But if you want to vote for the feds/prez, thats a tax stamp.

Top Bottom