• ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This sounds like a biggie:

https://www.cato.org/blog/may-15th-...hether-hear-cases-calling-abolition-qualified

Among the cases the SCOTUS will review at the Friday (01 May) conference will be 11 cases challenging a grant of qualified immunity and two cases challenging the withholding of qualified immunity. Most involve police officers, but four include other state officials.

It would be hard, if not impossible, to do our jobs without it. I was sued civilly and district Federal judge denied qualified immunity to me. I did nothing wrong and they want my house, car, all assets. 7th Circuit overturned my denial thankfully. This has been hanging over my head for the last 5 years and we are not done yet. If they do away with it, I'll stop making arrests. It's just not worth it. Letting bag guys go is better than losing everything I've worked for.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It would be hard, if not impossible, to do our jobs without it. I was sued civilly and district Federal judge denied qualified immunity to me. I did nothing wrong and they want my house, car, all assets. 7th Circuit overturned my denial thankfully. This has been hanging over my head for the last 5 years and we are not done yet. If they do away with it, I'll stop making arrests. It's just not worth it. Letting bag guys go is better than losing everything I've worked for.

How does that work? Do you request dismissal of the case on Q/I grounds, and if the judge refuses it, that means the case can go forward?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Yup, after we have gone through HELL during the Indy Riots weekend only to find out that some of my partners are being considered for criminal charges for DOING THEIR JOBS. 100% political pandering. I wished I can retire.

Nothing that I have read or seen scares me half as much as hearing that from you. I don't know you personally, but I have read enough of your posts over the years to know that you are an honorable, honest, decent guy.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    It's almost like "they" want the rank and file police out of the way, so "they" can introduce their form of police....will probably be along the lines of the Gestapo. What happened to Floyd was way wrong, but those cops are going to pay the price for that. I do not believe the vast majority of police are that way at all. If they could go to work, do their shift like any other job (kinda like a Mayberry scene), that is what they would want.

You have to have police and a civil society of people, just to be able to be safe...this is just common sense. Not much of that around these days I guess. One thing is for sure, if this nonsense is to continue, we will devolve into chaos. All you have to do is pick up a history book.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So they can fast-track this, but 2A cases are being shelved over and over?

Gee, guys, maybe we should burn an Autozone down.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    maybe ending QI needs to be bundled with tort reform? If attys who filed baseless suits had to pay the defendants legal fees and maybe a fine, those suits might disappear.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    We the people can amend the Constitution to fix this through a convention of the states under Article V of the constitution. These cases nearly all involve a grave injustice.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN

OK, you're a good person to ask. You have skin in the game.

What do YOU think should be done when police and DA's abuse their power? And for my part, I'm not asking in cases like Floyd. I mean where LEOs and/or the DA conspire to withhold exculpatory evidence. That's criminal conduct, isn't it? I'm thinking it's good reason for a literal hanging.

But QI often protects these guys? Why should that be the case?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    OK, you're a good person to ask. You have skin in the game.

What do YOU think should be done when police and DA's abuse their power? And for my part, I'm not asking in cases like Floyd. I mean where LEOs and/or the DA conspire to withhold exculpatory evidence. That's criminal conduct, isn't it? I'm thinking it's good reason for a literal hanging.

But QI often protects these guys? Why should that be the case?
    If they haven't violated "clearly established" law/Constitutional right, I'm not sure what should be done. If they have, well, let justice run its course as QI will not attach. It' not perfect but it dos more good than bad. FLETC explains this VERY well with posed questions and answers. https://www.fletc.gov/sites/default/files/PartIXQualifiedImmunity.pdf

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    As someone who has played the game for 26 years this is the greatest amount of stupidity I have ever seen. Soon as I am able i'm taking the long walk. They can be well all on their own in their own fantasy land. This will kill law enforcement as we know it with these chargings by activist prosecution and the calls to remove immunity.

Top Bottom