• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    And this, kids is why we have a state statute preempting local authorities, specifically in times of emergencies. Enacted shortly after Katrina.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    https://www.wjtv.com/health/coronavirus/jackson-mayor-to-address-executive-orders-in-place-for-city/

I don’t think it was ever enforced and if it was, it was only the mayor thinking it was smart. There was also pending litigation and the lawyer for the city resigned.

Good call out, nice to see this change:

“We are glad that Mayor Lumumba appears to have realized that he cannot lawfully disarm law-abiding citizens and ‘suspend’ constitutional rights,” said Aaron Rice, the Director of the Mississippi Justice Institute. “Now, more than ever, we must remain vigilant to protect our civil liberties. MJI will always be here to fight for Mississippians when an overbearing government tries to infringe on the freedoms that are the strength of our state and our country.”

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    NRA-ILA had email updates on this. Wannabe dictators gonna dictate given half a chance.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You will get exactly the Gov. you vote for.
    I guess I shouldn’t be, but every day when I read the headlines about what some (99 % democrat) useless politician has proclaimed in the name of public safety, I’m just shocked at what I’m reading. It would be nice to think that it will wake up the idiot voters, but I know that’s too much to ask.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd go down there and protest tomorrow, but the last thing I need is to get into a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A civil emergency is a significant in-progress or imminent threat to public safety. He is equating this to a public health emergency because he wanted the ban to last the duration of the public health emergency. He's just not smart enough to represent his people, if that's what he wants to do.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And this, kids is why we have a state statute preempting local authorities, specifically in times of emergencies. Enacted shortly after Katrina.

It would be nice if we had a law that preempted States from in fringing on the rights of citizens.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Most victims never see it coming. I believe if you O.C., it would be a deterrent for someone likely to pull a gun on you demanding your wallet and keys. I would argue it keeps crimes from even happening.

Top Bottom