• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

:rockwoot: :patriot::ingo: I got a call yesterday from David Conte the NRA-ILA Regional Campaign Field Coordinator. Look for the word on this to be coming out soon from NRA-ILA (testified in support during the hearings at the Statehouse.)

Got family/friends who don't have an LTCH?

[FONT=&quot]Effective July 1, 2020 the five year license to carry a handgun (LTCH) will become fee exempt, per IC 35-47-2-4. The five year and lifetime LTCH may be applied for and held concurrently.[/FONT]

https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms.htm

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...[FONT=&amp]Effective July 1, 2020 the five year license to carry a handgun (LTCH) will become fee exempt, per IC 35-47-2-4. The five year and lifetime LTCH may be applied for and held concurrently.[/FONT]
    https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms.htm

This confuses me; if one holds a lifetime LTCH, why would they desire to hold the free 5 year LTCH concurrently? Or am I misinterpreting ?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This confuses me; if one holds a lifetime LTCH, why would they desire to hold the free 5 year LTCH concurrently? Or am I misinterpreting ?

While it is not currently a NICS-exempt license, it is set up to be (so whenever ATF figures it out...)

It is also FREE, as in those licensed to carry handguns (the most law-abiding of folks, per Dr John Lott) are no longer subsidizing Police Departments.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As promised...

[h=1]Indiana: Law Eliminating Fees for a License to Carry a Handgun Goes into Effect July 1st[/h]
    Next Wednesday, sections of House Bill 1284 (2019) will go into effect. A five-year License to Carry a Handgun will now be free to obtain. In addition, applicants will have the option to register to vote while applying. ​Removing barriers for lawful carry in Indiana, including taxes and fees, is significant for many Hoosier gun owners that desire to carry for the defense of themselves and others. A full outline of the law is below:
    Updated Sections of Indiana Code from House Bill 1284:

• IC Section 34-30-31 - Provides immunity for a justified use of force in certain instances to help prevent frivolous lawsuits. (Victims of violent crime shouldn’t be subjected to unnecessary civil suits, therefore being victimized twice. It will require a court to award, in certain instances, reasonable attorney's fees if it determines a suit was brought unjustly, helping to prevent financial ruin for individuals protecting themselves and others.
    • IC Section 35-47-2-3 - Extend the four-year License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH) to five years, and eliminate fees for the five-year LTCH (starting in 2020).
    • IC Section 35-47-9-1 - Clarifies the authority of private property owners to establish carry policies in places of worship.
    • IC Section 3-7-18-2 - Allows those applying for a LTCH to register to vote at the same time

House Bill 1284 was legislation spearheaded by Representatives Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz, who are both NRA Defender of Freedom award recipients. Hoosier gun owners are now able to exercise their right of carrying a handgun without the financial burden of paying this unnecessary government fee.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ila_alert

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    While it is not currently a NICS-exempt license, it is set up to be (so whenever ATF figures it out...)...

That's kinda the answer I was looking for, I haven't kept up on legislation regarding this, so I now ask. Is it believed if Indiana does finally have at some point a LTCH that is NICS-exempt, is it also thought that it would only be the new 5 year free LTCH?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ...is it also thought that it would only be the new 5 year free LTCH?

One of the requirements for the NICS exemption is that a federal background check has been done within the last five years. Thus the lifetime license is not eligible, only licenses that are valid for five years or less from date of issue.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While it is not currently a NICS-exempt license, it is set up to be (so whenever ATF figures it out...)

It is also FREE, as in those licensed to carry handguns (the most law-abiding of folks, per Dr John Lott) are no longer subsidizing Police Departments.

Oh no, we still do - just with taxes and not fees. ;)

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    For those of us new to Indiana (just moved here last week) - is this carry licenses the same as the concealed permit, or are those two separate things?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    rhrlaw,

Welcome to the forum!
    Here in the Hoosier State at the top of our permission slip is "License to Carry Handgun".
    Neither Indiana law nor the license itself makes any delineation as to how you can carry.
    Open, concealed, taped to your forehead, it doesn't matter.
    The license allows any kind of handgun carry, open or concealed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For those of us new to Indiana (just moved here last week) - is this carry licenses the same as the concealed permit, or are those two separate things?

We don't have "concealed carry permits". We have a License To Carry a Handgun. Carry how you want, but you need one no matter what.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That's kinda the answer I was looking for, I haven't kept up on legislation regarding this, so I now ask. Is it believed if Indiana does finally have at some point a LTCH that is NICS-exempt, is it also thought that it would only be the new 5 year free LTCH?
    5 year is the free one. It was flipped (free lifetime) but coming out of Ways and Means stuff happened.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    rhrlaw,

Welcome to the forum!
    Here in the Hoosier State at the top of our permission slip is "License to Carry Handgun".
    Neither Indiana law nor the license itself makes any delineation as to how you can carry.
    The license allows any kind of handgun carry, open or concealed.
    Duct-taped to the forehead, let’s not get crazy with Scotch or blue painters tape.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep the 5 year is cost effective, but you have to keep going back and renewing. With the lifetime its one and done.

Welcome to the state!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Even if you choose to use duct tape, pants of some sort and a LTCH, are still required. Sandwich board not recommended in todays political climate.

dh3-cl-under1.jpg

5u6NVdx.jpg

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Does free really mean free? IIRC, when I got my lifetime license, I had to pay the local Sherriff's office for their part, and the state for their part. Is it just the state that is not charging for this? If so, you will still have to pay the local sherriff whatever they charge.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Does free really mean free? IIRC, when I got my lifetime license, I had to pay the local Sherriff's office for their part, and the state for their part. Is it just the state that is not charging for this? If so, you will still have to pay the local sherriff whatever they charge.
    The only fee for the five year licence is the fingerprints. https://www.in.gov/isp/3065.htm

Top Bottom