• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark1155

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 17, 2020
    Merrillville
    So I just moved to Indiana from Illinois and I’m a little confused on the law for purchasing a handgun because I am under the age of 21. From what I understood was I can’t buy one from a store but I could buy one Privately like of this forum for example. I just wanted to make sure that was correct

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If you are 18+, and not prohibited for any reason, then you can legally own a handgun in Indiana. But you can't buy one from an FFL dealer until you are 21.

So that leaves a private purchase as your only option. Yes, that is legal.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    That is correct. However trying to run to 50 post trying to get into the classys with 3 word sentences will get you knocked down quick......

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My son turned 18 , and I had him apply for his LTCH, then we bought him a gun, now we're waiting for the world to get its stuff together, so we can take a pistol/safety course. Get involved with this forum, make posts, ask questions, learn, this is a great fount of knowledge! Behave, and be involved ....

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My son turned 18 , and I had him apply for his LTCH, then we bought him a gun, now we're waiting for the world to get its stuff together, so we can take a pistol/safety course. Get involved with this forum, make posts, ask questions, learn, this is a great fount of knowledge! Behave, and be involved ....
    I was just given itinerary for an upcoming CC handgun course in Aug if your interested in the info.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If you do want to buy from the classifieds here, you could always become a site supporter and then the 50 post requirement is waived. Plus you'll be supporting a great site.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you do want to buy from the classifieds here, you could always become a site supporter and then the 50 post requirement is waived. Plus you'll be supporting a great site.

Yep. It costs money to run these sites. There are lots of us who are site supporters because we recognize this place is worth the money, not because we NEED to support it. Dont be a cheap ass bastard. :):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You will probably find most people like myself that wont sell and handgun to anyone under 21.

Is there any particular reasoning behind a blanket prohibition on selling a gun to someone under 21?

I know several young men that haven't reached that age yet who are responsible enough to own guns.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    First off, welcome to the Great State of Indiana and INGO. Second, remember that Illinois sucks when you go to vote.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Is there any particular reasoning behind a blanket prohibition on selling a gun to someone under 21?

I know several young men that haven't reached that age yet who are responsible enough to own guns.

Yes, and a bunch older than that who lack the responsibility to own a pointy stick. I think like most age related restrictions it's just a number that was picked because the authors felt "most" people that age were responsible enough.

Does it violate the 2nd amendment? Yes, I believe so, like almost all gun laws, but my biggest personal issue with it is that a young man can join the armed services at 18, be trained with weapons I can't even purchase legally, but can't go buy even a basic firearm for himself.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    BTW, OP, welcome to INGO. Be patient, get involved, learn lots. In my experience, there are a lot of good people on here, a ton of good information, and of course a few trolls; it is still the internet.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

When one studies the history of the GCA/SSA of 1968 the phrase "juvenile delinquents" was used as a stalking horse for racism when Dodd and Kennedy were attempting to switch the votes of the Southern Democrats stopping it. The riots of '68 were decisive.

I recommend the book, Saturday Night Special (another racist term) to further understand the history:

https://www.biblio.com/book/saturda...MI6s2kpNif6gIVD_DACh2QCwUWEAQYASABEgLDafD_BwE

Mark1155

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 17, 2020
    Merrillville
    yeah i was looking into donating to become a site supporter last night. i’ll probably end up doing it. It’s only 20 bucks and ways easier than getting 50 post.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you find yourself looking to do a INGO classifieds purchase, it might be a good idea to let the seller know you are under 21 up front.

No one wants the surprise to meet someone to trade who looks as though they might be too young for the transaction to be legal. Especially if they have a brand new DL and LTCH.

This is the kind of thing that smells like a BATF sting? Remember all those that Hogsett ran, back when he was Obama's federal US Attorney?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . Yes, and a bunch older than that who lack the responsibility to own a pointy stick. I think like most age related restrictions it's just a number that was picked because the authors felt "most" people that age were responsible enough.

Does it violate the 2nd amendment? Yes, I believe so, like almost all gun laws, but my biggest personal issue with it is that a young man can join the armed services at 18, be trained with weapons I can't even purchase legally, but can't go buy even a basic firearm for himself.

THAT pisses me off. There is literally no excuse for that sort of hypocrisy in any of our public policy.

Top Bottom