• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Recently, I sent an email to both Indiana Senators and my District's Congressman recently expressing my opposition to H.R.5717 - Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020.

I got this response today. I'm glad they are trying to pass reciprocity again; but, I doubt it goes anywhere.

June 25, 2020​
    Dear [thejoker],

[FONT=&amp] Thank you for contacting my office regarding the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I am an avid hunter, a National Rifle Association member, and stand 100% in support of the 2[/FONT][SUP]nd[/SUP][FONT=&amp] Amendment. In the Senate, I will oppose any efforts to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners and will protect their ability to defend themselves and their families in life-threatening situations.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]In Indiana, 2[/FONT][SUP]nd[/SUP][FONT=&amp] Amendment rights are consistently upheld. This is not the case in every state. In order to make sure that Hoosiers everywhere have access to their rights to defend themselves, I am co-sponsoring S.69, the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. This bill, originally introduced by Senator John Cornyn, will ensure that qualified gun owners possessing a concealed carry license in the state of Indiana would be able to continue to exercise their right to carry in other parts of the United States. This bill is important to maintain the rights protected by the second amendment in states where they are consistently under attack.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]
    Sincerely,

Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    P.S. This message was sent by email to save taxpayer dollars.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, the idea of a federal concealed carry reciprocity law sounds good.
    But I think letting the federal government "get the camel's nose under the tent" with regard to concealed carry laws is a BIG mistake.

In reading this Bill, even if passed as written without any Amendments, it still won't allow us to concealed carry in every state.

For example, there's several states that mandate training and other additional burdens to be able to carry concealed in their state which Indiana doesn't have.
    And they often refuse to give us reciprocity because Indiana doesn't meet the standard.

This Bill WON'T get Indiana LTCH holders the right to carry in those states as written.

For example:
    "7 State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, an individual carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a concealed handgun according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license of or permit issued to a resident of the State. "

Here's a link to S.69.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/69/text

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    What happened to the idea of just using existing laws?

*States have to recognize each other's official acts
    *2A is an enumerated in the BOR as one of our rights--without any pre conditions

Therefore states have to recognize out of state CCWs

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What happened to the idea of just using existing laws?

*States have to recognize each other's official acts
    *2A is an enumerated in the BOR as one of our rights--without any pre conditions

Therefore states have to recognize out of state CCWs

I agree, with you in theory.
    But the reality is, each state still has the right to make some decisions as to how this is done.

Top Bottom