• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Blumenthal (stolen valor) at it again.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/07/below-the-radar-background-check-completion-act-of-2020/

Under current law, if NICS cannot be completed in three business days, a federally licensed dealer can still transfer a firearm. While the setup of NICS is not ideal, the current setup has several points that make it much fairer than various licensing and waiting period schemes:

• It presumes that someone seeking to buy a firearm is law-abiding.
    • It places the burden to deny a firearms transaction on the government.
    • It also does not subject someone trying to exercise their rights into an indefinite wait.

Blumenthal’s bill changes that. It removes the three business day limit on a delay. In other words, if there is a delay for whatever reason (NICS is down, confusion), a law-abiding citizen is denied the right to purchase a firearm until the delay gets resolved, and without the time limit, that can be potential for some serious, life-threatening abuse.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    That is how it is in IL, if the system cannot automatically verify your identity you get delayed until a state worker can manually verify, which can take days or even weeks now because the system is out of date and understaffed

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That rule was put in, to keep them from underfunding the department and then taking forever.
    Removing the "instant" from NICS.

Look at New Jersey. By law, their gun permits are supposed to be approved/rejected within a certain time frame.
    A time frame which is ignored.
    At least I think it was New Jersey.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    That rule was put in, to keep them from underfunding the department and then taking forever.
    Removing the "instant" from NICS.

Look at New Jersey. By law, their gun permits are supposed to be approved/rejected within a certain time frame.
    A time frame which is ignored.
    At least I think it was New Jersey.
    If they are like IL then when someone tries to sue to get them comply with the legal timeframe, they hurry up and issue the permit for the one plaintiff and dismiss the case as moot, leaving everyone else waiting SOL

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When I lived in NJ, I got fingerprinted and had a card in short order. To by any gun I had to show the card at local PD and pay $2 for a form to buy each gun. Present that at the dealer and buy whatever gun I wanted.

It was a small Infringement from what it is today.

Had to transport unloaded out of reach.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We have lifetimes so I don't keep up with it. There should be a movement to make locals do physical prints if the electronic places cannot handle it.

Top Bottom