• ...and so much more!
  • rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hello INGO,

It has been several years since I've purchased a firearm from a dealer where a background check has been needed. I believe my application / background check was delayed and I had to wait a couple days to pick up the gun. Anyways, here I am, several years later and making a purchase of two revolvers from a dealer that's about 2 hours away from my house. I'm really hoping I only have to make the drive once, but it really all depends on the background check. A couple questions if anyone willing to chime in:

1. What kinds of things ultimately result in a background check being delayed? I have no felonies, but do have a misdemeanor from my college days from drinking underage. I've heard time in military could play a role in being delayed, but is that true? I do have an IN lifetime carry permit.

2. Since I've been delayed before, am I on some kind of list and prone to always being delayed?

3. How long is the delay typically? I'm trying to plan out my week and want my new revolvers in hand ASAP.

Appreciate the help.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Do you have a very common name? If it's a regular issue consider getting a UPIN. Apply for a 5-year LTCH (someday will be a NICS exempt license, any BATFE-types monitoring this site: please take note.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Could be many things. Perhaps a warrant on the old case. Perhaps you are John B. Smith and they are looking for John A. Smith. Birthdate.

Get a UPIN and stop the delays.

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Could be many things. Perhaps a warrant on the old case. Perhaps you are John B. Smith and they are looking for John A. Smith. Birthdate.

Get a UPIN and stop the delays.

Appreciate the heads up on the UPIN, I'll look into that. Wish I had known about that earlier, I'm really hoping I don't need to make two round trips.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I have bought a few guns in the last 30 years never delay once just in and out. But about a month ago I got delayed it was a Saturday the gun shop said that they were getting a lot of people delayed. There thought was so many people buying guns that the system was overloaded. Two days later they called me and I was good to go.
    So don’t be surprised if you get delayed, I know it makes you nuts thinking what the heck. Good luck

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Recently, I’ve had fridays where every single check was delayed, but Saturdays were mostly approved. Right now, there’s no rhyme or reason to it, just depends on how busy the call center is at the moment.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have one of the most common names in the world*. If I want the 4473 to actually go through then I have to use my SSN. Named after my Dad he has been the victim of identity theft so I'm very careful about everything. I'm not scared to put my ssn on a 4473 but maybe I should be lol, time for my own UPIN?

(*not hyperbole)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Conversely I have a very rare name with only one other person in the country with the same first, middle and last names. Even then, I have been delayed 3 maybe 4 times since NICS started. It happens.

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Recently, I’ve had fridays where every single check was delayed, but Saturdays were mostly approved. Right now, there’s no rhyme or reason to it, just depends on how busy the call center is at the moment.

Little Tommy - Is this from your experience working at a gun shop? Seems odd to me. I'm planning to pick up my items on Friday, this scares me a little.

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I'm in the process of applying for the UPIN thing. The FBI requires you to submit a set of fingerprints. So yesterday I walk into my local police department, they do the fingerprint scan for $15. One thing I noticed was that the lady didn't ask for identification. She asked my name and put that on the form (with my fingerprints). I submitted that form to the FBI yesterday, so I'll update this thread on whether or not I get my UPIN.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Little Tommy - Is this from your experience working at a gun shop? Seems odd to me. I'm planning to pick up my items on Friday, this scares me a little.
    Yes. Since covid and then all the unrest. I had Fridays where every single background check was delayed, not every Friday, but the only day I ever had EVERY check delayed, was Friday. Didn’t matter if it was online or over the phone.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have not bought many guns at retail. Given the OP's situation, could he give his info for the purchase and background via phone, let them run it and get the "PROCEED".... and then drive to pick it up same day as the check was run? or does he have to be present to put in his info personally?

I don't know the law on this, so am asking the question to inform myself.

Blessings,
    Bill

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have not bought many guns at retail. Given the OP's situation, could he give his info for the purchase and background via phone, let them run it and get the "PROCEED".... and then drive to pick it up same day as the check was run? or does he have to be present to put in his info personally?

I don't know the law on this, so am asking the question to inform myself.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I've always had to give the FFL my driver's license before they run the NICS check. I'm not sure they'd accept him giving them that info over the phone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good point, but I'd think I'd have to show my license when I picked up the gun(s) anyway, wouldn't I?

Right, but I was thinking more along the lines of, what would happen if something goes sideways after the NICS call/proceed has been given, like maybe the address on the license is no longer current, stuff like that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom