• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    They are simply checks and do not represent the number of guns sold.

Hi Kirk, I agree with your statement, but two comments:

1. Generally speaking, I do believe you can correlate the number of background checks to number of guns sold. Obviously it's not a 1:1 ratio, but from these figures you can probably come to a reasonable conclusion that 2020 ranks high in number of guns sold.
    2. I believe my comment still stands - 2020 has been crazy. When crazy happens, folks buy guns.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They are simply checks and do not represent the number of guns sold.

Kirk, other than redeeming pawns and picking up repairs, what else would someone get a NICS check for, other than to buy a gun? Do you think there are enough of those to be statistically significant, when added to the private sales of firearms that don't get checked? (and should not be, I hasten to add)

Also: Re: your sig line..... I thought you said to buy training? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The number of checks dont show the true numbers that were actually transferred by those checks. Many of those checks were for more than one firearm.

So the number is higher than originally apparent. I thought Kirk was implying it was lower.

I'm also surprised that the numbers (since 1998) are not displaying anything from September/October 2001.

Blessings,
    Bill

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So the number is higher than originally apparent. I thought Kirk was implying it was lower.

I'm also surprised that the numbers (since 1998) are not displaying anything from September/October 2001.

Blessings,
    Bill

Was it temporarily suspended after 9/11? I wasn't buying guns back then, so I don't know.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Blessings,
    Bill

With just using my household, the last 5 transfers were all for more that one firearm each. A quick call to a cousin that owns two retail stores in Md told me about one in 15-20 are for up to 4 firearms on one transfer/4473. I would say that no one really has valid numbers for what was sold, only what was manufactured that month/quarter or year by how the numbers through manufacturers serial number books and those that paid Pittman tax.
    I'm sure others will chime in...

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    With just using my household, the last 5 transfers were all for more that one firearm each. A quick call to a cousin that owns two retail stores in Md told me about one in 15-20 are for up to 4 firearms on one transfer/4473. I would say that no one really has valid numbers for what was sold, only what was manufactured that month/quarter or year by how the numbers through manufacturers serial number books and those that paid Pittman tax.
    I'm sure others will chime in...

For the record, I wasn't really going for total number of firearms purchased.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Some states, such as Kentucky, run NICS checks on license/permit holders annually. I assume they do this annually based on the issue date so it would be spread out over the year.

Kirk, other than redeeming pawns and picking up repairs, what else would someone get a NICS check for, other than to buy a gun? Do you think there are enough of those to be statistically significant, when added to the private sales of firearms that don't get checked? (and should not be, I hasten to add)

Also: Re: your sig line..... I thought you said to buy training? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Some states, such as Kentucky, run NICS checks on license/permit holders annually. I assume they do this annually based on the issue date so it would be spread out over the year.
    Illinois (supposedly) runs a NICS check on everyone with a FOID every single day

In any case, increases in NICS checks show gun purchases or new licenses being issued (among a few other things the system might be used for)

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    A week of research and thats what you come up with???

Um, yes? Were you expecting something different? I rarely buy firearms through dealers and haven't been through an official NICS background check in a long time. On their website I saw those statistics and figured it would be worth a mention on here. Never once did I say I was trying to come up with a figure for number of guns sold or any other statistic for that matter. All I'm saying is that 2020 has been crazy, those numbers prove it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Illinois (supposedly) runs a NICS check on everyone with a FOID every single day

I think we have two ends of the spectrum here, maybe reversed:

Kentucky runs NICS checks MONTHLY on every carry license holder (talk about bureaucratic churn). Even allowing for that, NICS is still way up.

An ISP press release in 2018 said there were 2,285,990 active FOID cards in Illinois. I doubt the number is lower in 2020. If Illinois ran a federal NICS check on every FOID holder every day that would be roughly 8.5 MILLION NICS checks per MONTH. That's more than the FBI state-by-state stats for the YEAR ending 31 Aug 2020, which show Illinois had 5,179,673 NICS checks for the year. Thus I think we can safely rule out the notion that Illinois is conducing FEDERAL checks on every FOID card holder every day.

Now also in 2018 there were 325,187 CCLs active. Once again I assume the number in 2020 is not smaller. Running a check on every one of them every day would generate 118,693,255 NICS checks in a year, so again I think we can safely bet that Illinois, as lunatic as it is about guns, is not running a NICS check on every CCL or FOID every day.

Who knows what they are doing on a purely state level without accessing the federal data, but I doubt the ISP possesses the computing power that would allow them to run a check everyday on every FOID or even CCL holder.

rawbeervoter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 13, 2020
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I think we have two ends of the spectrum here, maybe reversed:

Kentucky runs NICS checks MONTHLY on every carry license holder (talk about bureaucratic churn). Even allowing for that, NICS is still way up.

An ISP press release in 2018 said there were 2,285,990 active FOID cards in Illinois. I doubt the number is lower in 2020. If Illinois ran a federal NICS check on every FOID holder every day that would be roughly 8.5 MILLION NICS checks per MONTH. That's more than the FBI state-by-state stats for the YEAR ending 31 Aug 2020, which show Illinois had 5,179,673 NICS checks for the year. Thus I think we can safely rule out the notion that Illinois is conducing FEDERAL checks on every FOID card holder every day.

Now also in 2018 there were 325,187 CCLs active. Once again I assume the number in 2020 is not smaller. Running a check on every one of them every day would generate 118,693,255 NICS checks in a year, so again I think we can safely bet that Illinois, as lunatic as it is about guns, is not running a NICS check on every CCL or FOID every day.

Who knows what they are doing on a purely state level without accessing the federal data, but I doubt the ISP possesses the computing power that would allow them to run a check everyday on every FOID or even CCL holder.

So what do they do if a carry license holder fails a NICS check? Do they revoke the license? How does that work?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So what do they do if a carry license holder fails a NICS check? Do they revoke the license? How does that work?

He's supposed to turn in his license and transfer his guns to someone who has a valid FOID. I think he has to take a special form to the local PD and get it signed to prove he has transferred the firearms, and the PD forwards that form to the ISP. Turns out that the form requirement is ignored more than its honored.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom