• Status
    Not open for further replies.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Indiana with the license to carry however you want is really nice. I came from Illinois that has concealed carry with a provision for an accidental exposure, wind blows up your cover garment or exposed reaching to get something from a top shelf. My plan is still to carry concealed but now no worries if it does become exposed. Now I can carry OWB which is more comfortable than IWB most of the time. Jim.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If it passes, I would hope that there would be enough support to override his veto.

With respect, I think we are operating under the confusion that created the Rainwater campaign.

1. As per the Indiana Constitution the Governor has NO pocket veto. It does not matter if he signs it or not.

2. If the General Assembly passes it, the General Assembly can override the veto.

I think many people confuse the federal Constitution for the state Constitution. They are distinct.

Like the Rainwater campaign many on INGO go running off in . . . unique directions. The hyperbolic focus on the Governor of Indiana INSTEAD of the removal of Bosma as Speaker of the House was most telling.

INGO, keying off the confusion/ignorance of the Media, is hyper focused on the state Executive, instead of where the focus of power is under the Indiana Constitution, the Legislature.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I need to do a Indiana State government thread.

The Governor of Indiana is far less powerful than the President of the USA or even the Governors of other states. The Constitution of 1851, as per the Jacksonian spirit of the times, defined a weak Governor. The General Assembly and the Supreme Court of Indiana fought the Governor from 1851 to the constitutional amendments of the 1970s.

Governors of Indiana very rarely use the veto as it is considered a paper tiger here. Gov. Wright did and after he came to the General Assembly to accuse them of corruption and accepting bribes from banks, the General Assembly quickly overturned his vetos. It takes a majority to override a veto, not 2/3s as the Media incessantly tells you.

See if this helps with the background--Office of the Governor, Indiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Indiana

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I need to do a Indiana State government thread.

The Governor of Indiana is far less powerful than the President of the USA or even the Governors of other states. The Constitution of 1851, as per the Jacksonian spirit of the times, defined a weak Governor. The General Assembly and the Supreme Court of Indiana fought the Governor from 1851 to the constitutional amendments of the 1970s.

Governors of Indiana very rarely use the veto as it is considered a paper tiger here. Gov. Wright did and after he came to the General Assembly to accuse them of corruption and accepting bribes from banks, the General Assembly quickly overturned his vetos. It takes a majority to override a veto, not 2/3s as the Media incessantly tells you.

See if this helps with the background--Office of the Governor, Indiana: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Indiana

Kirk - I appreciate you pointing out the way things work at the State level. Being a relative newbie to Indiana (8 years), I have to admit, I don't really know the ins and outs of the way our State works. Thanks for the quick lesson.

My point was, and probably not well stated, really the same as your response to KLB."Who cares." If it gets to the Governor, it should be able pass any hurdle needed to enact it, if the Governor does not sign it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I assume too much. I would think everyone would be briefed in by now. My fault for being cranky. Covid-19 is affecting everyone and I should not be so sharp, unintentionally or intentionally.

It does NOT matter if a Governor signs a bill in Indiana. 1. There is no pocket veto. 2. To override a veto in Indiana requires a majority, NOT 2/3s as per the federal Constitution.

Pocket veto: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_veto

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for starting the thread Jeepster! It is that time of year when we once again go for Constitutional Carry (ConC) of handguns here in the Great State of Indiana. The Bills haven't been posted yet, but if Jim Lucas has a Bill number (HB1034) we are getting close.

The House Committees have been posted for 2021 (link below). The House the Public Policy Committee is where gun/2A Bills will come up in hearings. On the Senate side the Judiciary Committee will hear gun/2A Bills.

More to follow, I'm going through the Public Policy Committee members now.

Committees - Indiana General Assembly, 2021 Session

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm pleased with the Public Policy Committee. Ben Smaltz and Jim Lucas are definitely on our side when it comes to gun rights.

Indiana House Public Policy Committee (9 R's, 4 D's):

Chairman Ben Smaltz District 52: NRA-PVF A+.

Vice Chair Peggy Mayfield District 60: NRA-PVF A.

R's:

Steve Bartels District 74: NRA-PVF A

Edward Clere District 72: NRA-PVF A

Sean Eberhart District 57: NRA-PVF A+

Matt Hostettler District 64: NRA-PVF A

Matt Lehman District 79: NRA-PVF A

Jim Lucas District 69: NRA-PVF A+

Tim Wesco District 21: NRA-PVF A+

D's:

Ranking Minority Member Justin Moed District 97: NRA-PVF A

Terri Jo Austin District 36: NRA-PVF B (Not sure why it's that high, won't be there on ConC)

Blake Johnson District 100: NRA-PVF ? (Did not reply to NRA-ILA questionnaire is "?" Replaced Dan Forestal, the drug-abusing nephew of the Marion County Sheriff)

Vanessa Summers District 99: NRA-PVF F (A true enemy of gun owners.)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No bills yet, the Senate has committees posted. Aaron Freeman is still on Judiciary, a new Chair so research is required. And for your entertainment, Senator Obtuse is still on Senate Judiciary!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom