• ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    The Exponent - Purdue's Student Newspaper

Tonight, students will discuss the validity of carrying a gun on campus.
    The Purdue chapter of Young Americans for Liberty, a libertarian student organization, will host a forum to discuss whether anyone should be allowed to carry a concealed firearm on campus.
    “The purpose of the forum is to get people to start having conversations on ... issues that affect their freedoms,” said Nathan Murphy, a junior in the School of Management and president of the Purdue chapter.
    The forum will be in the format of a public debate. Participants will first be briefed on the laws and regulations that affect the issue and a moderator will then direct discussion among anyone who wants to contribute.
    According to Murphy, the Purdue chapter has hosted one forum earlier in the semester similar to this one and roughly 30 people participated in the discussion. He hopes for an even bigger discussion tonight.
    “I believe that the crowd will be fairly evenly split,” said Daniel Peffers, a junior in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and a member of Young Americans for Liberty. “I personally feel that law-abiding citizens should be allowed to concealed carry on campus for purposes of self defense.”

Not every member of the Purdue chapter is in favor of concealed carry. Jessica Rombach, a junior in the College of Agriculture and chapter member, believes that “concealed carry isn’t necessary on campus to improve safety and shouldn’t be allowed if there is any question of it hindering safety.”
    All Young Americans for Liberty members agree that the forum should promote public discussion of a complex topic.

“The forum is to bring students together and encourage dialogue on this campus,” Rombach wrote in an e-mail. “We need to get people out of their shells and out of the apathetic mindset that appears to be more common in our generation than others.”
    The forum will be held at 6 tonight in Beering Room 2291. It is open to the public.

I will not be able to be in attendance due to a test, any other boilers, americans or lafayette residents please show up!

6pm tonight in Beering Room 2291

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I wish I could have gone to this. Alas, I am working.

It really makes no sense at all that people who lawfully carry elsewhere cannot do so in this place because of some arbitrary line on the ground. If there is an articulable, logical reason for firearms to be prohibited somewhere, I will support that prohibition. So far, the only places I can think of for which there are reasons like that are penal facilities and explosive environments, the former because of the people there; the latter because if there is a need for the firearm's use, that use runs a strong likelihood of destroying something other than what is intended.

In both cases, I don't believe in restricting the firearm from the entire building. I think there should be safe storage available outside those environments. (i.e. firearm lockers)
    :twocents:
    Blessings,
    Bill

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Apparently Purdue thinks violent crime on campus is enough of a problem to spend millions of dollars on outdoor video surveillance, yet still refuses to let those with a License to Carry a Handgun do so on campus. Even though those people already carry guns everywhere else and aren't causing problems.

You will still get assaulted, raped, or killed... but now they will have it on video and might be able to catch the person. Unless of course they wear a mask. Thats right, millions of dollars thwarted by a $2 piece of cloth.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You will still get assaulted, raped, or killed... but now they will have it on video and might be able to catch the person. Unless of course they wear a mask. Thats right, millions of dollars thwarted by a stolen piece of cloth.
    Fixed.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sorry that I saw this late. It would have been interesting to attend. I always have some apprehension about whether I am complying with the law when traveling on, through and around the campus area.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sorry that I saw this late. It would have been interesting to attend. I always have some apprehension about whether I am complying with the law when traveling on, through and around the campus area.
    You can relax, your apprehension is needless. There is no law prohibiting firearms on college campuses, despite what they would like you to think. For example, I know Purdue has a policy in place for dealing with it: They use the same term the State Department uses: They "PNG" you... and for those who don't know, that means "persona non grata", or "unwelcome person".

Persona Non Grata

Blessings,
    Bill

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I don't carry on campus. Never have and don't plan. I carry nearly always elsewhere but really see no need personally to carry to and from my office. But what is the actual crime?

One local cop told me none really other than possible expulsion and firing. Other cop told me felony arrest, as a state agency Purdue has the right to restrict. I am unclear. Indiana Code doesn't appear very clear to me on this. Any clarifications with justufucation are appreciated.

Just read Bills of right post. So essentially termination of employment and expulsion I take it. Does PNG mean trespassing arrest if violated?

I hate the articles in the exponent as they are most of the time poorly researched, so I am not giving them credibility without specific backing, ie. Indiana Code.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't carry on campus. Never have and don't plan. I carry nearly always elsewhere but really see no need personally to carry to and from my office. But what is the actual crime?

One local cop told me none really other than possible expulsion and firing. Other cop told me felony arrest, as a state agency Purdue has the right to restrict. I am unclear. Indiana Code doesn't appear very clear to me on this. Any clarifications with justufucation are appreciated.

Just read Bills of right post. So essentially termination of employment and expulsion I take it. Does PNG mean trespassing arrest if violated?

I hate the articles in the exponent as they are most of the time poorly researched, so I am not giving them credibility without specific backing, ie. Indiana Code.

I don't think they would PNG a student or a faculty/staff member, they'd just expel or terminate, yes. PNG would be for people over whom they hold no other sway and yes, I would think they would do that to show that they had previously told the person they were not welcome there.
    Please take all of this with whatever size grain of salt you wish, as I have no connection at all with the university and am only expressing opinion, not fact.

As for an IC reference, it's been posted several times and I think it's in the FAQ, too, but...

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

IC 20-18-2-16

"School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23.

Colleges and universities do not meet the criteria to be called "school property" according to the IC. IANAL IDPOOTV TINLA

Blessings,
    Bill

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Did they cover this event?

i tried to find it on the website, but it was just too slow.

but wow you're right, two gun stories at the top of the front page. I remember from other high profile gun cases that the exponent had no problems leaning anti-gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom