• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Whittakers Guns! Better than a gun show!

Just got home from a road trip to Whittakers. Whittaker Guns

Spent some Christmas $$ on a .22lr CZ 452 American, rings for same, and a Brooks trigger kit. The place was packed but they had plenty of employees on hand. One of the quickest, easiest gun purchases I've ever made even though you could barely move through the aisles.

If you've never been to Whittakers (AKA The Temple of Gun Lust) it's about time you went. If you live south of US 40 and haven't been there I'm sure that's a violation of some sort. If you live north of US 40, c'mon sport, it's a road trip deluxe! Where else besides a gun show can you see a thousand guns (my estimate) out on display? Mapquest says it's only about 4 hours from the southside of Indy.

Heading to Crosley to shoot the new gun in the morning.:D

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Whittakers Guns! Better than a gun show!

Just got home from a road trip to Whittakers. Whittaker Guns

If you've never been to Whittakers (AKA The Temple of Gun Lust) it's about time you went. If you live south of US 40 and haven't been there I'm sure that's a violation of some sort. If you live north of US 40, c'mon sport, it's a road trip deluxe! Where else besides a gun show can you see a thousand guns (my estimate) out on display? Mapquest says it's only about 4 hours from the southside of Indy.

I've got one just as good. You went to Owensboro and didn't eat at the Moonlight BBQ. I haven't been to Owensboro in several years but the two together would be worth a road trip :D

MoonLight BBQ :rockwoot:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It is an adventure!

I was in there one evening, think there was only one other customer - checked out, then asked what their current inventory was.

He smiled typed on the computer for a bit and said 3800 at the moment, but they were way down.

On another visit, I carried the rifle I wanted to buy up to the counter. It was the only one on display. The lady at the small counter in the middle by the entrance said..you sure you want that one? And promptly brought ought eight others from the back so I could pick out the nicest wood.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've been to Owensboro on numerous occasions. I think I had the most teeth in town. Next time I go, I'm going to have to find this place.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    We went the day after Christmas and it was packed then too. The "Assault rifle" (their words not mine) aisle was down to about 50 or so usually there are 250+. I have never bought a gun there and most likely won't but it is somewhere everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.

I did make a trip to Kieslers in Jeffersonville yesterday, another must visit gun shop.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Same - same

We went the day after Christmas and it was packed then too. The "Assault rifle" (their words not mine) aisle was down to about 50 or so usually there are 250+. I have never bought a gun there and most likely won't but it is somewhere everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime.

I did make a trip to Kieslers in Jeffersonville yesterday, another must visit gun shop.

The "tactical" section was mostly depleted except for a dozen shotguns and a half dozen ARs. They did have a couple varmint type black rifles. Looked like the AR business is booming down south.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    You are right.......Whittakers and the Moonlight BBQ go together, been there......done that, and can/t wait to go back.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Moonlight's food has gone downhill.

The other week, I was down at Whittakers and it was the first time I had ever seem huge empty spaces on the racks. You could see through to the next aisle, and it was kinda sickening.

Gun shows are a waste of time once you've been to Whittakers.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Gotta go to Owb tomorrow to see my heart guy. If he don't take too long maybe I can go to Whittaker's. If not I can stop at Ace's on the way home.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    I grew up near Owensboro. They say Moonlight went downhill after Clinton's visit. I haven't been to Ole Hickory since the new owners. The Smokey Pig is still good if you don't mind driving.

+1 on Ace's, Monty has always been a great guy and very willing to make deals once you know him. I haven't been to Whittaker's in a long time, back when Concealed Carry was coming to Kentucky, they weren't too supportive (that was the rumor) and it soured the relationship with a lot of the locals. Maybe someone knows more about this?

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I made four or five trips there this past year, usually with a group of 3 or 4 of us. It is a fan day trip (even though it only takes 45 minutes or so to get there from my parents place in Newburgh, we also end up spending a day there.

It definitely fills the a niche for a gunshop with a lot of things in stock (makes comaprison shopping a lot easier).

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I purchased a Walther G22 at Whittakers this past summer. I camp at Diamond Lakes right across the street once in a while as well.

Top Bottom