• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I visited Gander Mountain (Castleton) around 5:30pm last Sunday for a non-firearms purchase. Half hour before closing, very few shoppers in the store, but close to a dozen folks at the gun counter. It's like that every time I go there. I learned long ago that there are numerous better options for buying a gun, so it makes me wonder why GM's gun counter is so busy. Selection? (no advantage vs. PSS & Bradis, just to name two) Service / knowledgeable help? (no gunsmith on site, no geniuses work there, but no former black ops guys either) Price? (rarely competetive, except maybe vs. Don's) So, why are they busy? I think that advertising is a factor, but beyond that, it seems like the biggest difference is that the place is well lit, clean, and non-threatening. I've got to admit that my first visit to most gun shops is a bit intimidating - dirty, smoke filled, the occasional inattentive or people-skills-challenged salesman, and not exactly the type of place that makes the wife or GF comfortable.

My intent is not to bash the local shops. I like visiting them (but not with my significant other), that's where I spend my money, and I want them to succeed. With the number of people who are willing to buy guns at GM, it seems like there should be a huge marketing opportunity that the local shops could jump on.

One example of a local shop that seems to "get it" is Midwest in Mishawaka - well lit, well stocked, clean, lots of room, no smoke, clean restrooms. Prices aren't rock bottom, and the service can be hit-or-miss, but most of my experiences there have been good.

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if any of our local entreprenuers see an opportunity.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just guessing but many people in the Fishers or Geist area don't know about Plainfield or Bradis or don't want to drive the distance.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I think that advertising is a factor, but beyond that, it seems like the biggest difference is that the place is well lit, clean, and non-threatening.
    There you go...

Personally, I like GM for the simple fact that they have a pretty good selection of guns to look through, (albiet kinda high) a great selection of hunting/fishing gear and their "accessories" for just about anything outdoor is always very good. You don't feel like a "number" when you're browsing, as it's just big enough to have what you need, but small enough to not feel like that monstrosity Cabella's. Kind of like Menards vs. Lowes...

I do frequent most all the local gun shops to me within a 25 mile radius at least once per week, just to see what's new and to check out their specials. My weekly "gun route" usually goes to Ranger Supply, then to Freedom Firearms, then to Gander Mountain, then to Sniper Co. then out to Hillside Shooting Sports and then home. Makes for a nice afternoon to get my gun "fix". :)

Some LGS's do have their quirks, but it usually is something I can put up with, but not always with the Mrs.

I'm glad to have them all around. :thumbsup:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I dunno every time I have been in Braids and PSS they have been very busy also

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Advertising, certainly.

But, ya know? You do bring up a good point. While I like the typical gun store environment (excepting the reek of KS&E or the occasional arrogance of Pop Guns,) I can see where you're coming from. While I don't mind the cluttered, poor lighting, dark interior of most gun stores, I can see where the newb might not.

My favorite gun store in St Louis was almost like the Apple Store, it was WHITE, bright, clean and organized inside. Most of the cases were wall mount glass, interior lit, WHITE pegboard with guns hung from them with clear computer font labels with all info and price on it. The floors were clean enough to eat off of and the place was really inviting to the new shooter.

It wasn't in a super nice neighborhood or anything - so not a high rent issue. They just took the time to make everything SUPER clean, white, brightly lit, descriptive & clear labels and a non-pushy, non-tactigeek staff. It didn't cost a lot of money to do what they did... just time and effort. This cleanliness and thought didn't translate to high prices.

They outperformed all their competition in regards to new shooters and local polls.

Me? I don't mind a dark, cluttered store. It feels more like a scavenger hunt.

It was: Mid America Arms

Nice website too that doesn't look like it was created by a 15 year old at home.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I think it's mainly because gun shops only sell guns and gun related items. So most people only go there for a specific purpose . Gander Mountain sells a little bit of everything so it attracts a lot more people. I think people are naturally curious about guns. Here an example my Dad looks at guns at Bass Pro shop every time he is in there but he's probably been to Kieslers/Orion Arms maybe twice. Also I never see a lot of people filling out their FFL forms at bass pro mainly just window shopping.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I live up there. We shop at GM because there is no other gun shop around, and the selection is good. Yes, I know every gun is marked up, but Im willing to pay for the convenience. They always have half a dozen or more people in line to buy guns, and they sell them non-stop. It is really just a supply vs demand situation, and demand is very high.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I hate Gander Mountain.

REI is opening across the street from them, so that should be one nail in their coffin... now will someone open a real gun shop in Castleton? PLEASE??

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I like to go to gander mountain because its close. I can go in and get a feel for a gun I'm interested in. I wouldn't buy one there. But its a convience if they have something I'm interested in. Easier drive than plainfield or bradis.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Went to the local GM yesterday. Lot of lookers, small kids with parents, did not see a bunch of pens and 4473s flying around. Priced out a few handguns, went to Blythes and bought one this week for $75.00 difference. Worth the fuel to take a ride and see what's around. Shop, shop, shop. Don't let GM knick you for an extra $75.00.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Some Im sure is advertising, some Im sure is cause its closer. Others cause, its like Walmart, you know you can go in and get what you want (well, usually). You know someone will help you, even if they aren't the best person to pick. Other might be just the other convenience. You know you can get something else and pick up a couple things and while you are there, eye over the guns, in case. Personally, I go to the locals first, then Cabala's, and if Im still wanting to look, then Gander. Then again, it might be cause Im in NWI, so the selection around me is different then elsewhere.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I have no problem admitting that I enjoy burning time going into GM ever so often.

They do indeed have a fair/good selection, have a lot of gun accessories and on occasion, can find a good deal.

Otherwise? I only make big purchases from local gun stores (Bradis, Elmores, Beech Grove, etc).

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I go in for ammo, if I can't find it local. I go in to handle stuff I'm thinking about buying online for cheaper (especially clothing, to confirm sizes), and I go there a lot for fishing stuff because lets face it, HUGE selection of lures and tackle...
    I don't go in to buy guns. I don't even go in to look at guns anymore since they put them behind the counter and you have to get someone's attention to handle and "test fit" one.
    One of these days I do intend to go in and handle some guns, starting at one end of the rack and going until they get tired of it...

It really does irk me that they put them out of reach when fit is such an important quality for a firearm... Also checking out the fit and finish...

Top Bottom