• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Long story short last Thursday I had an issue with a striped screw/thread in receiver on my Savage action. I messaged Brett and took it and a 1911 in that I've had issues with. Took them in on a Friday afternoon, received word early Saturday morning that he was finished. Very surprised to hear in less that 24 hours, my local smith here will takes years if you don't completely bother him. He went above and beyond what I needed in a quick turn around.

I'll drive an hour to get machine work from now on.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've had a M&P Cerakoated by him as well as another extremely small item that just needed a better set of tools to get apart.

I recommend him

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have some stock work that needs done. This place was highly recommended. I had a slow afternoon, so a quick Google search revealed an address and bussiness hours.
    Made a pretty long drive to get there an hour and a half before advertised "closing time", only to see the place pretty dark and stuff on the door about being a trespasser if you don't have an appointment.
    It may be a good idea to maybe change those bussiness hours so something like "by appointment only"

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have some stock work that needs done. This place was highly recommended. I had a slow afternoon, so a quick Google search revealed an address and bussiness hours.
    Made a pretty long drive to get there an hour and a half before advertised "closing time", only to see the place pretty dark and stuff on the door about being a trespasser if you don't have an appointment.
    It may be a good idea to maybe change those bussiness hours so something like "by appointment only"

You do realize that the little business summary google provides when you google a business is NOT something the business provides. Anyone can put in the info and anyone can change it. I sold my business five years ago and it is still listed as my old address, and the phone number is still listed even though I removed it three times.

Havlin's makes it VERY clear in all of HIS advertising that he is by appointment only.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    It wasn't his advertising that I saw.
    Besides, it wasn't until yesterday afternoon that I knew that I would have a window of opportunity to make some stops of my own. When I leave the house in the morning, I don't know what the day holds for me. Even a planned day changes as it goes. I may get home from work at a normal time, or I may be late, and sometimes it loosens up where I have an afternoon where I can get something of my own done. But I never know how it will unfold, it may be a month, or 2, or Thursday afternoon before I could get back that way. Anyway you cut it, this isn't something that I can make an appointment for.

So. In closing, if that's the way he wants to do it, and it works for him, so be it. No skin off my ass. I can definitely see as how it would cost at least a little bit of bussiness. On the other hand, there are plenty of places that I can walk into for the same service when I can and/or need to.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    It wasn't his advertising that I saw.
    Besides, it wasn't until yesterday afternoon that I knew that I would have a window of opportunity to make some stops of my own. When I leave the house in the morning, I don't know what the day holds for me. Even a planned day changes as it goes. I may get home from work at a normal time, or I may be late, and sometimes it loosens up where I have an afternoon where I can get something of my own done. But I never know how it will unfold, it may be a month, or 2, or Thursday afternoon before I could get back that way. Anyway you cut it, this isn't something that I can make an appointment for.

So. In closing, if that's the way he wants to do it, and it works for him, so be it. No skin off my ass. I can definitely see as how it would cost at least a little bit of bussiness. On the other hand, there are plenty of places that I can walk into for the same service when I can and/or need to.

Man, your schedule sucks! How do you schedule a doctor's appointment?

To respond to your critique, I do by appointment only for several reasons:
    1. People tend to keep an appointment they make...typically.
    2. This isn't my full time job. It's a business, yes, but it's not my full time job.
    3. It's my house. It's not a strip mall. My hours vary with business, family, my full time job.
    4. There's not room in my driveway for walk ins. I don't have a parking lot.
    5. I spend time with each customer. I don't want someone coming in and interrupting my time with each customer.

So, in closing, if you feel that you can get the same service I provide elsewhere, I say kudos to you sir.

Best of luck to you.

Top Bottom