• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I also posted this info in the "Break Room" but thought it should be posted here as well.

I arrived early and stood in line for over an hour. They had the "Take a Number" thingy at the sporting goods counter. The numbers were out of order. I pulled off #17 and the guy behind me pulled ticket #16. I kept calm. It didn't matter. Some of the employees were obviously ignorant of the "take a number" thing. I heard numbers called out until it reached 12 and then didn't hear any numbers called for quite a while. Then an employee behind the counter started waiting on a guy that was clearly holding a ticket with 18 on it. I temporarily lost my calm. I spoke up. OK, no problem...They decided to wait on me. I was after a Buck Mark 5.5 inch "Practical" model. After looking at the display model and noticing it was scratched, the employee told me that was the only one they had. I said, "No, there is another one in the bottom of the display case" and pointed it out to him. He reluctantly got the 2nd one out and showed it to me. It wasn't scratched so I told him "I'll take that one." Next was filling out the 4473 and more waiting.. I noticed that the guy who had ticket #18 was checking out ahead of me and I overheard some talk about a scratched gun and speaking about a friend who worked there, but, again, I remained calm. When it came my turn to check out they presented me with the scratched gun. That's when I lost my calm, Cherub-like demeanor. I showed them the scratch and explained that I wanted the other pistol I had previously selected. I was told that one just walked out the door with the #18 guy. This is when I lost every single ounce of the "calm" I had in reserve. I didn't swear at anyone but I did explain, very clearly and in no uncertain terms, that the pistol in question could be deposited in an area of the salesman's body where the sun never shines. This is the story of my final trip to Rural King.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    This is the necessary result of customers who only care about price. We'll put up with terrible customer service to save 1%. The retailers can't afford to provide excellent customer service. Adequate staffing and proper training add to the cost, and we won't stand for that.

Don't get me wrong; I want to maximize what I get for my dollars. But this customer service situation is what we collectively have bought.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I have forwarded my complaint to Rural King costomer service (if there is such a thing) and I will post their reply IF I receive one. I WON'T buy into this crap.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This is the necessary result of customers who only care about price. We'll put up with terrible customer service to save 1%. The retailers can't afford to provide excellent customer service. Adequate staffing and proper training add to the cost, and we won't stand for that.

Don't get me wrong; I want to maximize what I get for my dollars. But this customer service situation is what we collectively have bought.

I agree 100%. Good, Cheap, Fast, you can only pick 2

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Was this the $150 Buckmark? If so, it looks like quite a good deal, despite the scratch. I've had a few and generally put an aftermarket barrel on them. At that price, it would have almost been a no brainer.

But, you weren't treated properly, and that is an entirely different thing. Understandable.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    No, this was not the one they had advertised as a "Special." However, if you look at the ad, ALL guns were 10% off plus the fact that the Browning rebate was offered on all .22 rimfires... it was pretty much the same deal. I was trying to buy the Browning 5.5" Practical model which was a few dollars more. Even if it was a good deal, it is still supposed to be a new gun. And "New" guns are not supposed to come with scratches. Oh, and BTW, the advertised Buck Mark was not $150, it was $179 after coupon and Manufacturer's rebate. Still a good deal but not the one I wanted.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That particular Rooster King is a complete waste of time, if you need something which requires help from an employee.

Free popcorn but no assistance.

This store has to be your absolute last resort in the world, before you go there.

I went there a few weeks ago to get a chainsaw chain.
    I went there because there were a limited number of places I could buy a Stihl saw chain on a Sunday evening (tree fell across my driveway and I had to finish a big project to get out of my driveway for work the next day).
    It's a $20 item that has to be unlocked from the display (!). After some wait for the power tools associate, I went to a different department to ask for help. Waited 5~10 minutes. Then I went to the gun department and asked again. The guy radioed the request, and I heard the response "I'll be back there as soon as I finish getting a gun from the gun barn." I returned to the department a second time and waited another 5~10 minutes. Went back to the front of the store and asked for help, again (3rd separate employee I'd talked to). After another 5~10 minute wait, a befuddled employee showed up - slapped his hands all over his body - realized he didn't have the key!

The item was in a cardboard box that could be destroyed to release the product...so that's what I did (maintaining the integrity of the bar code), and took the chain and the remainder of the packaging to the checkout.

Never again. There have to be other places that deserve your business.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I'm going to have to find a new place to buy my dog's food. I already know where I'll be buying my guns. Honey Creek Tackle Bargersville. No worries.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    As posted up thread...good/fast/cheap...pick two. I agree CS is BS in this store, so I go there to kill time and people watch. It's almost like watching a People of Walmart video, some days.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    As posted up thread...good/fast/cheap...pick two. I agree CS is BS in this store, so I go there to kill time and people watch. It's almost like watching a People of Walmart video, some days.
    Similar crowd. Only the lack of alcohol, tobacco and real groceries keeps it a sliver above the trailer park emporium.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The RK in Kokomo must have a different clientele. I've seen doctors, lawyers, farmers, etc all shop at the one by my house.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Update: After sending my complaint to RK, I did receive a call from the local store manager. He apologized for the problem and offered to order a new gun for me and still give me the 10% discount. I explained that the Browning Factory Rebate would no longer be in effect and that rebate was the main reason I was buying the pistol. He asked what they could have done better. Well, golly, I don't know... Maybe they could have sold me the pistol I handled and ask for? So, they cared enough to respond to my complaint but they didn't offer me another gun with $100 rebate I missed out on. So, there's that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Update: After sending my complaint to RK, I did receive a call from the local store manager. He apologized for the problem and offered to order a new gun for me and still give me the 10% discount. I explained that the Browning Factory Rebate would no longer be in effect and that rebate was the main reason I was buying the pistol. He asked what they could have done better. Well, golly, I don't know... Maybe they could have sold me the pistol I handled and ask for? So, they cared enough to respond to my complaint but they didn't offer me another gun with $100 rebate I missed out on. So, there's that.

Yup. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick I guess.
    But it does show there is a chain of connections and your complaint was responded to.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yup. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick I guess.
    But it does show there is a chain of connections and your complaint was responded to.

Yep, which is good, as this is hopefully how they improve. And they could use some improvement. There are just too many other places to deal with that have good service, and prices, etc.

I had my own issues with RK on the one and only transaction I did there, which included their apparent policies of not letting me handle a transfer that came in since it had no trigger lock, before I paid/completed the transfer. I walked the counter person through a quick function check, but yeah, not being able to handle a firearm before the transfer is completed is a no go for me doing any further transactions there. Other issues included having 4 terminals dedicated to 4473 transfers and none of them working, and me having to reboot 2 myself to try and get one working as otherwise I would have been there all day. If I'm going to head that way, I might as well purchase online and have it sent to USDS, and know that I'm going to get very good service.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Good to know they listen to complaints. I would say the sales person is the problem in that store. I can't complain about my local store as long as you take into account they are a big box store. When they have a crowed that big I have to take a number I don't bother waiting. I will pass on the deal to me it is not worth it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, which is good, as this is hopefully how they improve. And they could use some improvement. There are just too many other places to deal with that have good service, and prices, etc.

I had my own issues with RK on the one and only transaction I did there, which included their apparent policies of not letting me handle a transfer that came in since it had no trigger lock, before I paid/completed the transfer. I walked the counter person through a quick function check, but yeah, not being able to handle a firearm before the transfer is completed is a no go for me doing any further transactions there. Other issues included having 4 terminals dedicated to 4473 transfers and none of them working, and me having to reboot 2 myself to try and get one working as otherwise I would have been there all day. If I'm going to head that way, I might as well purchase online and have it sent to USDS, and know that I'm going to get very good service.

My only thought here is why even consider these guys for a transfer. Use a LGS. I avoid the big box stores on anything firearms related just due to the endless complaints/issues I see and hear. Screw any of that. My time/blood pressure is worth far more than any savings one my think they are getting using these outlets.
    Maybe just me but I will drop the extra $20 or so just to avoid the masses. Some folks have zero issues with this and I get it but again.....my time/blood pressure.
    And as to the rebates.......:lmfao:........cool if it works for you. Most cool.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My only thought here is why even consider these guys for a transfer. Use a LGS. I avoid the big box stores on anything firearms related just due to the endless complaints/issues I see and hear. Screw any of that. My time/blood pressure is worth far more than any savings one my think they are getting using these outlets.
    Maybe just me but I will drop the extra $20 or so just to avoid the masses. Some folks have zero issues with this and I get it but again.....my time/blood pressure.
    And as to the rebates.......:lmfao:........cool if it works for you. Most cool.

It was a transfer from RKGuns.com. That was the ONLY reason I used them, and won't make that mistake again. So I was buying the gun from them and they would not let me hold it before the transfer (though already bought and paid for)... yeah, it was that bad. So, in conclusion, buying from their website has all the drawbacks of dealing with them in person (plus you get to pay $10 for them to ship it to the store, though no transfer fee, since you are buying from them) plus you get to pay for it in advance, then get there and wait in line to do the transfer, without being able to handle the firearm.

It is the only gun I have ever purchased from them, and will never do it again, no matter what their price is. And I've been able to consistently beat their prices anyway now, after looking and watching particular guns on Brownells, Grab a Gun and others, and have all my transfers (both before this and after the one at RK) with USDS now. Those guys area great. I drive from Avon/Plainfield area just to do transfers with USDS.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom