• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had a layaway there and stopped in to find a holster during my lunch break and maybe put a few bucks on my layaway.

I guess the store manager or owner, bigger guy, asked me what I needed, told him I needed an OWB holster for my Taurus 605. He brought out three leather options, but they didn't really call out to me, was hoping they might have something with a thumb strap. Told him I was looking for something like that, so he put the holsters back on his shelf, but then completely ignored me. Went back to checking in items, didn't ask if I wanted something else, didn't ask about an IWB holster, which I was also considering. I saw a holster on the shelf that he didn't bring up to the counter that was on the wrong peg but would have fitted the bill. Stood there for 5 minutes, him eyeing me, finally coming over and asking if I wanted to see another one. I examined it, good to go. Not great customer service, but I'm used to it at gun shops.

I asked about my layaway and that I was thinking of just cancelling it and I understood there would be a restock fee. No, he said, no restock, you just lose all the money you put on it or just pay it off or extend the time that it can be in layaway. Most places, if not all, offer restock, not just "lose all your money you put on it". Thank God it was a single shot shotgun, not a Glock or something. He then pronounced that 'it was on the contract agreement you signed'. No offer of customer service or restock at a percentage, nothing that a normal gunshop and every other one I've been to would do. Just stick to job description, shove the contract in their face.

Fine, put the holster back, I'll pay off my layaway and not return. Tried to give me a free range token, but reminded me "we don't allow shotguns". Coupled with their range being down because the hood rats shot up the target holder rails. No consideration of customer service, no focus, just 'gimme the cash and get out' mentality.

While I can give them a -1, I am sure the money they lost from me will be made up with a couple of straw purchase sales that I have frequently saw occurring there in the past in previous visits.

Lesson learned. Stick to job description and don't deviate.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Man - haven't been there in ages. Since before it was IGB, I believe. I also work a whopping 4.6 miles from there.

There's a reason that I've not been a customer in a long time. Probably gonna keep it that way.

Pickings are slim on the East side of Indy anyhow - but Indy Arms gets my vote (and money).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    So it is Dons east.

This is the closest equivalent I can determine. Don's has VERY expensive transfers ($75) whereas IGB does not do transfers (claims their insurance will not allow them... wife's an insurance agent and has already told me that if they are handling guns already, they can DEFINITELY do transfers lol, but they loudly tell anyone within earshot if a customer asks about transfers, they stick to that story). So one is prohibitively expensive (and therefore, no one would do it) and IGB doesn't do transfers.

Their pricing can be really weird, usually on par with about 20-25% higher pricing than local retailers and cannot even hold a candle to online retailers, even after shipping/ffl. I wanted a RIA 200 .38 just for fun, of course, no transfers and the one they had was $320+ for the regular 4" model, whereas I can get them from my local store for $250 or transferred in for $235. Glocks are WELL north of $500 for base models and they will roll their eyes if you want to order one they don't have in the case. About $100 over other stores pricing on Dracos and AKs and I have yet to see a decent quality AR that wasn't an ATI, or an overpriced base model RRA.

It's a shame because they are really close to my work and it was nice to have a lunch break to go shoot or peruse, but I'll pass...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was talking to a guy up here that said one of the big shops up here do the same on layaways. If you cancel, you lose whatever money you have put down so far.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why do some LGS employees act if you're bothering them and should just go away?

Then, there's others, like at a certain place way down south, that just won't quit talking and been hospitable? :whistle:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Dissapointed to hear this. Isn't this shop run by the same family that owns the big Army Navy surplus store on Washington street? I have had several good experiences at the surplus store. Never been to the Gun Bunker.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    But wait? What about all the talk about supporting the LGS instead of buying online? After all if we don't give these guys our hard earned money, they will not be in business when we need them! And we should all be jumping at the chance to pay more so they can keep their doors open.

Sorry you have to experience this DH. I really detest poor customer service.

What about this new place, Atkinson Firearms? I think that's the name. He is here on INGO. I've exchanged a few messages with them and so far they seem okay. I'll venture in one day and check them out. They did give me a fair quote on a new shotgun. Close enough to online, that I'd give him my business if he checks out okay.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ah yes, I was in there once. I think I said hell would freeze over before I set foot in there again.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Had a layaway there and stopped in to find a holster during my lunch break and maybe put a few bucks on my layaway.

I guess the store manager or owner, bigger guy, asked me what I needed, told him I needed an OWB holster for my Taurus 605. He brought out three leather options, but they didn't really call out to me, was hoping they might have something with a thumb strap. Told him I was looking for something like that, so he put the holsters back on his shelf, but then completely ignored me. Went back to checking in items, didn't ask if I wanted something else, didn't ask about an IWB holster, which I was also considering. I saw a holster on the shelf that he didn't bring up to the counter that was on the wrong peg but would have fitted the bill. Stood there for 5 minutes, him eyeing me, finally coming over and asking if I wanted to see another one. I examined it, good to go. Not great customer service, but I'm used to it at gun shops.

I asked about my layaway and that I was thinking of just cancelling it and I understood there would be a restock fee. No, he said, no restock, you just lose all the money you put on it or just pay it off or extend the time that it can be in layaway. Most places, if not all, offer restock, not just "lose all your money you put on it". Thank God it was a single shot shotgun, not a Glock or something. He then pronounced that 'it was on the contract agreement you signed'. No offer of customer service or restock at a percentage, nothing that a normal gunshop and every other one I've been to would do. Just stick to job description, shove the contract in their face.

Fine, put the holster back, I'll pay off my layaway and not return. Tried to give me a free range token, but reminded me "we don't allow shotguns". Coupled with their range being down because the hood rats shot up the target holder rails. No consideration of customer service, no focus, just 'gimme the cash and get out' mentality.

While I can give them a -1, I am sure the money they lost from me will be made up with a couple of straw purchase sales that I have frequently saw occurring there in the past in previous visits.

Lesson learned. Stick to job description and don't deviate.

Wow I haven't been there in years, forgot what the old name was. My wife still talks about the time we were there and there was some female buying 4-5 cheap Bersa .380's while some shady looking guy hung out in the background, i'm sure it was legit lol. Website says they only have a 30-60 day layaway that's not even worth it, the shop I used to work at offers one year layaway.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    It amazes me how gun stores tend to be one of the select few business segments where over half of those in the business proudly act like the customer is always wrong.

I worked retail for years after high school which gave me a healthy understanding of having contempt for your customers. I also had enough understanding to get out of retail when that became a problem.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It amazes me how gun stores tend to be one of the select few business segments where over half of those in the business proudly act like the customer is always wrong.

I worked retail for years after high school which gave me a healthy understanding of having contempt for your customers. I also had enough understanding to get out of retail when that became a problem.

I did the same. If you aren't cut out for it, do something else. Except for me, I didn't get far enough away being in sales. Though I'm not in retail, I still eat a lot of crow and have to bite my tongue so I don't say what I'd like to say.:)

On another note, I stopped in today at Atkinson's in Greenwood. Super nice guy, clean store. I think if he can compete he should be able to build himself a nice business there.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I went there once and realized they weren't interested in selling their wares to a middle aged white guy. I have a feeling their target demographic is the polar opposite of yours truly.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    They were unfriendly back when it was Pops Guns. I used the range a few times but haven't been back once I realized there were better options available.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They were unfriendly back when it was Pops Guns. I used the range a few times but haven't been back once I realized there were better options available.

Yep. New name same suck. I recall before there were more ranges, going in there on a saturday and being told it was a 45 minute wait. Then watching multiple range club members walk in and get a free cut in line. I walked out eventually because at that rate, it was going to be MUCH longer than 45 minutes.

But thats not the half of it. A couple years ago I went in to get a cheap bipod. Old guy behind the counter asked what I wanted and I told him. He went to go get it. About that time a regular came in "I hear you have something for me?" The kid behind the counter showed him a 1911. He said "I'll take it" just as the old guy ambled out with my accessory. Old guy said "Kid'll take care of you." and went back behind the counter and planted his fat ass on a stool and sat there. The kid hands the 4473 to the other customer and stands there and starts to watch him fill it out as I stand behind him with my item. Kid looks up at me standing there and said "I'll be with you as soon as I finish him up." I couldnt believe it. He was going to make me stand there while the other guy takes 15 minutes to complete his transaction. All I need to do is give them my money and walk out.

I was so dumbfounded I couldnt move. He wasnt seriously going to just stand there watching the dude fill out a form is he? Holy crap, he is.

Just as I was about to throw the thing across the counter and leave, The old guy, in a tone like he had never seen me before, asked "Is there something you need?" I responded "I would just like to pay for this so I can leave." "Oh, come over here, I'll ring you up." and then ambled over to the range register and took my money. Why the other guy couldnt take 30 seconds to ring me up while he waited for the other customer to finish the form is beyond me.

Never EVER going in that place again. What a clusterf***!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wow, it sounds like we're spoiled on the west side. I've had nothing but great experiences at Fort Liberty, Plainfield Shooting Supplies, and Copperhead Ridge. It's been awhile since I've been there, but Bradis in Camby has been good, too.

Maybe it is worth taking a little drive west.

Today I was at Copperhead Ridge, looking for extra mags for a little M&P 380 EZ I picked up in a trade. They were somewhat busy but still greeted me. They didn't have them, but immediately ordered some and said they'd have them for me in a week. Those guys are great. Just like a bunch of buddies hanging out. I like going in there just to chat sometimes.

Top Bottom