• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I was there Sunday for the first time with the intention of shooting in the GSSF match. I saw a customer at the range counter with an uncased AR. When he bumped the rifle and it fell over I noticed that there was a mag in it. I'm pretty sure the bolt was closed but I can say for certain that there wasn't a chamber flag in it. After a couple of minutes he exited the store and in the process covered several people, including himself, with the muzzle on the way out. No one working there gave him a second look? That was my cue to eject the scene. I've spend enough time as RSO in a range that I tend to get testy when someone is casually waving an "unloaded" gun around because I've had more than my share pointed at me, but maybe I'm just paranoid.:rolleyes:
    I only frequent a couple of ranges in Indy, SPB Greenwood and Parabellum. I know this type of thing is not tolerated at either of those ranges.
    I was under the impression this would not be tolerated at ANY range.

I'm hoping members that shoot there regularly can tell me that this was an anomaly rather than SOP at Indy arms?

PS...I'm sure every shop runs video, it happened between 2 and 2:30 Sunday if management cares to view for themselves.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    What few people I know that are associated with that range would NOT have allowed that. I'm pretty sure management would like to know that this happened to give a reminder to be an RSO even when on the sales floor. I could be wrong but I've met the owner and know a couple people that work there. That is NOT the culture they would be OK with.

I'm not questioning you, or saying it didn't happen. I'm just saying, what little I know of the place, I doubt this is a lax in attention that comes from the top.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've never had an issue there. They seem to be on the ball. Why didn't you call it to someone's attention? Just curious not slamming you.

Bob

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    To be honest I was waiting for someone that worked there to say something rather than me calling the guy out. I had no idea what their policies were so I felt my option was the one I took, leave the building.
    I can't imagine that the rifle falling on the floor didn't get the attention of one of the employees, it certainly got mine but it was completely ignored.
    I can assure you that NO ONE comes in the range or leaves the range where I'm RSO with a gun in their hand. Everything is cased coming in and before leaving the firing line and stays cased until they are out the front door, no exceptions. To my knowledge that's SOP at every range.
    It's their rodeo, they can run it the way they want but I don't have to ride in it. :nono:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was there Sunday for the first time with the intention of shooting in the GSSF match. I saw a customer at the range counter with an uncased AR. When he bumped the rifle and it fell over I noticed that there was a mag in it. I'm pretty sure the bolt was closed but I can say for certain that there wasn't a chamber flag in it. After a couple of minutes he exited the store and in the process covered several people, including himself, with the muzzle on the way out. No one working there gave him a second look? That was my cue to eject the scene. I've spend enough time as RSO in a range that I tend to get testy when someone is casually waving an "unloaded" gun around because I've had more than my share pointed at me, but maybe I'm just paranoid.:rolleyes:
    I only frequent a couple of ranges in Indy, SPB Greenwood and Parabellum. I know this type of thing is not tolerated at either of those ranges.
    I was under the impression this would not be tolerated at ANY range.

I'm hoping members that shoot there regularly can tell me that this was an anomaly rather than SOP at Indy arms?

PS...I'm sure every shop runs video, it happened between 2 and 2:30 Sunday if management cares to view for themselves.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

Have you ever uttered the phrase "Get off my lawn..", you sound a little crotchety. Nobody likes to see unsafe handling of firearms but maybe nobody gave it a second look because you are blowing it out of proportion? People drop guns, it happens, it looks like the only people that cared about it were you and probably the guy that might have damaged his gun. As far as the handling I didn't see it but he probably didn't flag anyone anymore than if he had it in a case which unless you are pretty much carrying it upright and tight to your body lol is going to 'flag' people. You are never going to be in a 100% prophylactically safe environment, I would urge you never to go to a gun store or a gun show. Most places I frequent usually have signs about firearms being cased maybe this one does not but might be a good idea, doesn't make anything any 'safer' though.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Have you ever uttered the phrase "Get off my lawn..", you sound a little crotchety. Nobody likes to see unsafe handling of firearms but maybe nobody gave it a second look because you are blowing it out of proportion? People drop guns, it happens, it looks like the only people that cared about it were you and probably the guy that might have damaged his gun. As far as the handling I didn't see it but he probably didn't flag anyone anymore than if he had it in a case which unless you are pretty much carrying it upright and tight to your body lol is going to 'flag' people. You are never going to be in a 100% prophylactically safe environment, I would urge you never to go to a gun store or a gun show. Most places I frequent usually have signs about firearms being cased maybe this one does not but might be a good idea, doesn't make anything any 'safer' though.

You hit the nail on the head.. In essence a case by it's design IS a "prophylactically safe environment". The idea behind having a gun in a case, rifle or pistol, is that the trigger is covered. No finger on the trigger, no ND.
    I currently RSO at a range, have worked at several gunshops and used to work for PSS at the 1500 so I've seen my share of people being careless with firearms.
    If being wary about a guy going directly from the firing line to the sales floor with a rifle, mag installed and bolt closed isn't case for being a " little crotchety" I'm not sure what it would take. :): By the way the only time I've yelled at anyone about being on my lawn was when the neighbor's dog was taking a :poop: :draw:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I stopped using Bradis just north of shooters departure. The overall tone changed and pricing was out of hand. I drive by there often but never consider stopping in.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I stopped using Bradis just north of shooters departure. The overall tone changed and pricing was out of hand. I drive by there often but never consider stopping in.

I did stop in to Indy Arms yesterday looking for some odd and ends. It's a very nice store, clean, neat, and well organized. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The gun selection is pretty good but they have a lot of accessories which I like. I'm sure what NHT3 saw was just a fluke.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You hit the nail on the head.. In essence a case by it's design IS a "prophylactically safe environment". The idea behind having a gun in a case, rifle or pistol, is that the trigger is covered. No finger on the trigger, no ND.
    I currently RSO at a range, have worked at several gunshops and used to work for PSS at the 1500 so I've seen my share of people being careless with firearms.
    If being wary about a guy going directly from the firing line to the sales floor with a rifle, mag installed and bolt closed isn't case for being a " little crotchety" I'm not sure what it would take. :): By the way the only time I've yelled at anyone about being on my lawn was when the neighbor's dog was taking a :poop: :draw:

Don't let Kirk see you say that, lol.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You don't hear much from Shooter521 anymore, I used to get his help at Bradis, haven't been back since he's been gone.

I haven't been to Indy Arms, due to location. I, like both of you had not gone to Bradis since Mark left, until earlier this year. That visit was completely instigated by IM'ing Kenny (Simon6101 on INGO) on some interest areas, and him very much going the extra mile in discussing them with me, as well as obtaining what I was after at a great price, and the great service he provided. I wouldn't just stroll into Bradis without setting up to meet with Kenny, but then I would not have done so before without having done the same thing with Mark. Overall, I'm not a big fan of Bradis in general, but Kenny does a great job for sure.

I agree with you, and would have very much likely have done the same thing. I generally like to avoid having guns pointed at me, and being around folks that are actively poorly handling a firearm.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I did stop in to Indy Arms yesterday looking for some odd and ends. It's a very nice store, clean, neat, and well organized. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The gun selection is pretty good but they have a lot of accessories which I like. I'm sure what NHT3 saw was just a fluke.
    Any range that allows customers to enter and leave with uncased guns in their hands is an accident waiting to happen. I don't know what their policy is but I would guess from what I saw that it's SOP to allow people enter the store with uncased firearms. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about their policy and it was just a fluke.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't been to Indy Arms, due to location. I, like both of you had not gone to Bradis since Mark left, until earlier this year. That visit was completely instigated by IM'ing Kenny (Simon6101 on INGO) on some interest areas, and him very much going the extra mile in discussing them with me, as well as obtaining what I was after at a great price, and the great service he provided. I wouldn't just stroll into Bradis without setting up to meet with Kenny, but then I would not have done so before without having done the same thing with Mark. Overall, I'm not a big fan of Bradis in general, but Kenny does a great job for sure.

I agree with you, and would have very much likely have done the same thing. I generally like to avoid having guns pointed at me, and being around folks that are actively poorly handling a firearm.

Kenny is top shelf. I keep forgetting he is out there now.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Kenny is top shelf. I keep forgetting he is out there now.

Thanks for the kind words about me. I have cut back to weekends only mostly since I have been getting so much OT at the full time job. I'm still there and I will always do my best to assist anyone with getting the best price I can get for you.

Top Bottom