• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Tired and just wanting to throw this question out there for some input. I'm getting the feeling more and more that I better be getting an AR soon and want some input on caliber deciding factors.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    It would depend on what you would want to do with the rifle, plinking, taget shooting, hunting, home defense etc.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For an all around gun, capable of CQB, long range shots, delivering plenty of energy on target and low recoil, I'd go with a 6.5 Grendel. It as the best all around ballistics of all the AR chamberings that I've found. The downside is that its hard to find ammo cheaply. The rounds remain supersonic beyond 1000 yards, has an effective theoretical range of 1200 yards and can deliver 500# of energy to the target several hundred yards beyond what a 223/5.56 or 6.8 Rem SPC can deliver. Wolf is now making brass low priced 6.5 Grendel rounds in soft point and tactical variations. Alexander Arms makes supreme target, tactical, varmint and long range rounds. Black Hills is also now loading premium rounds.

If you want an all around gun with easy access to ammo, then the 223/5.56 is impossible to beat.

The 6.8 Rem SPC is getting popular, the round delivers more energy on target than the 223/5.56 but bullet choices are pretty sparse. Ammo isn't cheap or real easy to find either, but its a bit easier to find than 6.5 Grendel ammo. Its a good short to mid-range round, lousy beyond mid-range. There are pressure issues with the 6.8 Rem SPC and a new version of the chamber has been developed, as well as slowing down the twist rate, both of which reduce the pressure issues but the round is still limited by bullet choices.

204 Ruger is gaining popularity. Its a great round for varmints. Delivers sizzling velocities but is a short to mid-range round at best. Its also expensive to shoot and hard to find.

7.62x39 has lots of energy out to medium ranges but there seem to be plenty of complaints about feeding issues because of the straight magazine well not working well with the tapered rounds. Its cheap to shoot so that is a bonus!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Alright I guess I have to back that up.

The good
    Longer range
    More knockdown power
    Still a NATO round (we might see surplus when the war is over)

The bad
    High ammo price
    High mag price

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    7.62 x 51! I'll never go back.

Does that FIT in an AR 15? That is an AR10 round, correct?

By the way, the 6.5 Grendel at long distances the delivers MORE energy, MORE velocity and longer range than the 7.62 NATO round and does it out of the AR15. At shorter ranges the 7.62 has the advantage.

1-10.jpg

If i owned an AR I would want either 7.62x39 or 9mm. :)
    I've got a 9mm AR15 and its a hoot to shoot. But surprisingly it delivers more recoil than you might guess. Its a cheap to shoot round, cycles reliably, but really isn't good for anything. Can't really hunt with it, its OK for QCB but there are better rounds. Seems to me it is an answer to a question that nobody asked. Still, I like it. I just don't know why.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    if you have only one...5.56. ammo, though getting expensive, is everywhere, among other things. now if it is your first of a few or many...i'd still get the 5.56. then others. the grendel looks good, the 6.8, the 9x19 is fun. depends on what you want the rifle to do for you.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'm looking at having an AR that will do it all....provide for food, protection etc. with an easily found ammo.

I think it would be a good idea to have one for SHTF senarios as well as I think the general value of it will increase as time progresses.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    RogerB,

I have two AR's and they are both 5.56. If ammo gets too expensive you can always buy a 22 adapter kit for your AR as long as it isn't a left hand gun.

5.56 surplus is around and available and probably will be for a long time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'm looking at having an AR that will do it all....provide for food, protection etc. with an easily found ammo.

I think it would be a good idea to have one for SHTF senarios as well as I think the general value of it will increase as time progresses.

Well one nice thing about the AR is you can have 1 lower and multiple uppers. So simply build a basic lower, one that will work nicely for hunting and also for SHTF and whatever else you would like. Basically don't make it to specialized. Then get various uppers for your needs.

If you want to put food on the table then you are SEVERELY limited in calibers if that included deer hunting in this state. The most common deer caliber that is chambered in the AR platform is probably the 458 Socom.

For SHTF then look at any of the common calibers (5.56, 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Rem) and simply mail order the ammo in bulk quantities. I just got a great deal on 1500 rounds of 6.5 Grendel, some soft point bargain stuff, some premium tactical, some long range premium target. Average cost of the whole load was right at 50-cents a round including shipping. Similar deals are available for 223/5.56 at lower prices. But you said "easily found ammo" should include mail order, which is often cheaper than local sources. Still, the most common calibers will always be easier to get under all circumstances.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    5.56x45mm if you can only have less than 10 rifles. :D

Then you might get one in 7.62x51mm NATO.

The 6.X mm versions have some merit, but ammo availability is always going to be a concern, even if you load your own. 5.56 may be expensive now, but you can get it just about anywhere.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    5.56x45mm if you can only have less than 10 rifles. :D

Then you might get one in 7.62x51mm NATO.

The 6.X mm versions have some merit, but ammo availability is always going to be a concern, even if you load your own. 5.56 may be expensive now, but you can get it just about anywhere.

5.56x45 is cheap now but virtually 100% of the supply is Russian made. None of the 'western' ammo makers load that round. It is not too far fetched to believe that imports of guns and ammo from Russia may be banned in the future, at which point 5.56x45 may be virtually impossible to attain. Personally given our current strained relations with Russia I would not bet on a future supply of that ammo.

Just curious, and I really don't understand it but I'm not looking to argue, why do you say that the 6.X mm versions will be a concern "even if you load your own."? I agree that both the 6.5 and the 6.8 are hard to find on store shelves. Absolutely NO argument from me on that issue at all. But I don't understand the part about reloads.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    5.56x45 is cheap now but virtually 100% of the supply is Russian made. None of the 'western' ammo makers load that round.

Melensdad, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Russian 5.45x39 round that is used in the AK74? 5.56x45 is still relatively easy to find and almost identical (usually interchangable) to the .223 round that is made by virtually every western ammo manufacturer.
    :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have fun stocking up on 1,000 rounds of 6.5 Grendel. $$ Cha-ching!!

5.56 NATO/.223 Win. works just fine when above 2,500 fps (and a even a bit slower if you use SP or HP loads).

I don't see any reason to go with 9mm or 7.62x39 ballistically. I suppose cost could be a factor.

If you want to go the 9mm route though , get a carbine designed to shoot 9mm like a Kel-Tec, Beretta, etc., not an AR.

Bottom line - your load depends on your purpose. What's your mission/goal for your AR?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom