• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I was pretty torn between getting a 10/22 and a Marlin Model 60. So I was out at Sam's club today and decided to stop by the pawn shop to see what they had. Well, low and behold, they had ~6 22s, including a 10/22 and a model 60. The 10/22 was pretty expensive in my opinion, but the Model 60 was very reasonable (or so I thought :)). So I got the model 60. Rifle is in GREAT condition besides a small gouge in the forearm and I believe it is a 2006 model. Came with a BSA 4x32 scope and see through rings. Action looks like it's had MAYBE 100 rounds through it. I feel like I got a great deal for $79+tax, what you guys think?

:patriot:
    IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They're fun!

Mine, however, is finicky with the "bulk pack hollow point" ammo. It's relatively easy to take the action out of the stock and hose it out with action cleaner or compressed air. Mine gets quite gritty whilst firing.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Is that really universally true? I thought some were designed with firing pin blocks (?) so that the firing pin couldn't contact the chamber :dunno:

As a "general rule of thumb", yes, they're not to be dry fired.

However, there are indeed some out there with firing pin blocks and other such designs that allow for dry-firing without harming anything.

I just don't know which firearms have 'em and which don't. :D

-J-

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Sighted it in today, and she's sweet :D Had one stovepipe (noticeably softer sound, so I figure underpowered) and one round that, upon inspection, seemed that the bronze coating was unevenly applied and would not chamber. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase :D

Back to the dry firing though, will it be ok to dry fire once done cleaning/shooting and it goes back in the safe?:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sighted it in today, and she's sweet :D Had one stovepipe (noticeably softer sound, so I figure underpowered) and one round that, upon inspection, seemed that the bronze coating was unevenly applied and would not chamber. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase :D

Back to the dry firing though, will it be ok to dry fire once done cleaning/shooting and it goes back in the safe?:dunno:

"sure"!!! A dry-fire every now and again won't cause problems. The issues pop up if it's "rack-click, rack-click, rack-click" ad nauseum.

-J-

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would buy a package of snap caps for extensive dry firing. Unlike the 10/22, the mod 60 was not built for dry firing. That said, its not gonna readily break or they would all be broke. Nearly every time you're gonna dry fire when the tube is empty.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Nate,
    You got a great deal. Marlins are tough little rim fire rifles. I shot mine last week out behind the house just to keep the basics down. Right now .22's for me a fun to shoot cause the ammo as you know, is cheaper.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Nate,
    You got a great deal. Marlins are tough little rim fire rifles. I shot mine last week out behind the house just to keep the basics down. Right now .22's for me a fun to shoot cause the ammo as you know, is cheaper.

Thanks, and yup. Between 5.56, 9mm and .22LR, which one you think I'll be shooting most :D

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Looks like a nice rifle. I too find myself shooting a lot more 22 and saving the other ammo. Replacement cost on 22 is easy on the budget but still not as cheap as in the past.

Top Bottom