• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    So i decided i want another rifle,(gun are addicting) right now i have only a small collection (see sig to guns) and decided i want a new rifle,something for long range,semi or bolt, something to but a scope and maybe bi-pod on that isn't too much. so far i was thinkin something on the lines of a .17 hmr or a mini 14 ranch rifle. any manufacturers suggestions or another rifle suggestions? Im thinking about the mini 14

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would suggest something other than a Mini 14 for long range, They are more a mid range gun. IMHO

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    i want a new rifle,something for long range
    Im thinking about the mini 14
    I would suggest something other than a Mini 14 for long range, They are more a mid range gun. IMHO

I agree, the Mini14 is not known for accuracy. In fact most people suggest they far from accurate. There is a new target version of the Mini14 with a BOSS type barrel tuning device at the muzzle, but there are guns out there that have a lot more inherent accuracy.

Have you considered a heavy barrel AR15? They come in all sorts of calibers now, and you can pick up something like a RRA Predator series or an Olympic Arms Multi Match ML-2 that will give you one-hole groups with quality ammo. These are not "mall ninja" or "tactical teddy" versions of the AR15, but rather are precision guns designed to wring out the best accuracy you can get out of your gun. They have upgraded triggers, target grade heavy stainless barrels, match chambers and much closer tolerances than a stock AR15 M4 clone.

Just a thought.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Bolt guns are pretty cheap. Remington is VERY competitive with Savage right now on the market. I'd say the 700 or model 10 are good options from both companies.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    You mention wanting a long range rifle but then mention a very small light bullet .17 HMR. Maybe you could define long range or what you want to do with the rifle. If you are talking a truly long range rifle, neither of what you mention would qualify. That makes me think that your meaning is different than mine (and likely some others).

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I love my .17 hmr & 22LR HB Savages but the .17HMR ammo is a little salty in price. Just depends if your looking for inexpensive target shooting for fun or have a need for a reach out and touch something caliber with 223 or 308

Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    well i want something for distance but don't have too much to spend on one. looking around 500ish not more than 800 unless its a hell of a deal. i dont wanna get a AR-15, but a little high and i want a quality gun. so i was looking at those i listed. another thing is it can't be a super long distance rifle cuz i dont have many place to shoot real far 250 is about max

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Forget getting any accuracy out of a .17 if you plan on shooting over 50 yds in any sort of cross wind. Even the slightest breeze will drift these little gnat sized projectiles quiet a bit.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Dragnut06, sorry but I am really confused about what you are looking for. If it is 300 yards or less, an Ar15 in 223 is plenty accurate. Heck, my 2007 competition flattop upper with DPMS lower could be had for 800 bucks. It has 4000 rounds through the 24 inch Douglas 8 twist barrel. Put a scope on it and you are good to go with a 1/2 MOA rifle. Plenty good out to 600 yards with 75 or 80 grain bullets.

For more power, a Savage boltgun in 260 or 308 is tough to beat.

Can you be more specific on your need?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    That helps some. 250 yards and under isn't really long distance. If you don't want a AR style gun. There are a lot of nice hunting rifles that would fill the bill, bolt or semis. If you ever might use it to hunt that is going to help dictate how big a caliber you want.

Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    i do want an Ar-15 but im kinda liking the savage 10fp. kinda just looking for a nice rifle in .223 or .308 to put in scope and a bi-pod on and shoot accurately at 250+ yards. I would like farther but stated before i dont have very many places to shoot much farther. Its more for a fun shooting gun than hunting but if i ever do decided to hunt maybe use it for hunting. hopefully this is helpful. still in the process of learning alot about guns. but like i said i do like AR-15's but i think i may hold of on one for now, unless i find a good deal on one.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    i do want an Ar-15 but im kinda liking the savage 10fp. kinda just looking for a nice rifle in .223 or .308 to put in scope and a bi-pod on and shoot accurately at 250+ yards. I would like farther but stated before i dont have very many places to shoot much farther. Its more for a fun shooting gun than hunting but if i ever do decided to hunt maybe use it for hunting. hopefully this is helpful. still in the process of learning alot about guns. but like i said i do like AR-15's but i think i may hold of on one for now, unless i find a good deal on one.

I believe that your answer is the Saiga .308. The only other full power rifle is a AR-10 platform which will cost in excess of $1000.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    So i decided i want another rifle,(gun are addicting) right now i have only a small collection (see sig to guns) and decided i want a new rifle,something for long range,semi or bolt, something to but a scope and maybe bi-pod on that isn't too much. so far i was thinkin something on the lines of a .17 hmr or a mini 14 ranch rifle. any manufacturers suggestions or another rifle suggestions? Im thinking about the mini 14

what kinda range are you wanting? If it was me and i was looking for range, I'd pick up a remington 700 and slap a scope on it. also, last week at the gun store, i noticed a new Mossberg .308 bolt rifle that looked pretty good and seemed pretty solid. It came with a bipod and scope and was i think 400-450 NIB.

edit: heres a link to one at impactguns for reference. the bipod that comes with it is a little cheesy, but it seems like a damn good deal. I've been thinking about pickin one up
    Mossberg 308, 100 ATR Night Train Special Purpose Bolt-Action Rifle Package

Last edited:

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Tikka 308

Check these out. Tikka 308, one of the best stock triggers I have even felt. Great quality. 500-600 for rifle. Top notch accuracy. I love mine.

Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    so ive decided on a .308. Now which one would u guys prefer? Savage Model 10FP, Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train, Remington 700?? Or anyone one else? Who has the best bang for the buck? Anyone have have experience with these, especially the 100 ATR Night Train? Im thinkin about getting that one. Any input?

kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    I agree with agentl074, a saiga 308 is relativly cheap at about $450 on classicarms.us
    also, i have a savage 10 chambered in 223. I love the gun. The bull barrel really makes the gun. I think they are about 500 or a little over new as well.

Top Bottom