• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've got a hankering to put a synthetic stock on an old (read inexpensive) military rifle. I have an 8mm Mauser VZ24 and enjoy shooting it. I also see great feedback on the Mosin. If I were to put a synthetic stock with and integrated scope mount on a gun, which one would you recommend?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    It's all about personal preference. You have to do work to both to mount a scope. Mauser, low profile safety, and depending on the model modify the bolt handle. On the mosin you have the same bolt clearance issues. I personally prefer the Mauser because of the safety. It's alot easier than the mosin, and I find commercial 8mm easier than commercial 7.62x54r. Also aftermarket parts for the Mauser have been around since Christ was a corporal, you can get anything for a Mauser. I have owned and shot both and personally I prefer the Mauser but either way you are looking at relatively easy gunsmithing at a low price. Can't beat it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Christ was a corporal!? :D

I agree with the Mauser concept: FAR more parts and options. The Mosin has a few positives: Cheaper and more prolific ammo, but I cannot imagine that being forever. I would also imagine the Mauser ammo was the same way at one point: cheap and plentiful.

With enough of the Mosins around, I would hope that American ammo manufacturers would be gearing up for a SERIOUS attempt at making ammo for 7.62 (instead of a rinky-dink selection of brass cased stuff).

I like the Mauser over the Mosin. The bolt/trigger group design is more complicated but more condusive to trigger tuning. Yes, the Mosin has a Timney and Huber Concepts trigger, but the striker style design leaves little to be desired in my book.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    If you wanted to bypass the bolt mod you can get a Mosin and throw a Darrell's scout mount on it. Easy enough, it replaces the rear sight leaf. Of course it requires a scope with extended or unlimited eye relief.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    7.62x54r is easier to find now adays than the 8mm stuff. 8mm used to be as plentiful as 7.62x54r is today. I like Mauser better than Nagants though

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not really a fan of sporterizing old mil surp guns...but it is yours to do with as you like. There are scout scope mounts for the Mauser Too! Personally I love my 1940 just as it comes. I refinnished my RC to get rid of that Commie shelac. But it dosn't weigh that much and I personally...someday ...somehow...someway...plan to take a bear or elk with it in it's miltary configuration! Just got back from Crosley and can still hit an X at 200yrds. If Bow hunters can get in range of these beasts I should be able to get within my comfort zone with Iron sights! :ar15:

Top Bottom