• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Way unimpressed with the ballistics of the round. If I had extra money to blow, maybe, but not even on my radar for my next build.

:twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think it would be a fun round to shoot in full auto, probably easy enough to control to spell your name out on the side of the barn with bullet holes . . . but at a really high cost that simply doesn't strike me as worth it. Maybe I'm missing something, but the purpose of the round escapes me.

Why not just get a 22lr upper and shoot all afternoon for about $10? Sure the ballistics of the 5.7x28 beat the 22lr but the cost is also significantly higher than the 22lr.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The idea of paying money for a conversion so I could purposely shoot wimpy, expensive ammo doesn't really appeal to me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So if the AR15 needs the Cienar kit for a .22 LR conversion, would one need to make one for an AR10 to convert to .22 Mag? :D:D:D

You would not be able to use anything like a Cienar kit to convert a large bore rifle to a 22Mag. The caliber must be 22 (or nearly so) for the Cienar type conversion kits to work properly. I know you can get AR10s in 243, 6.5, 7mm and 30 caliber, but I don't know of any AR10 upper in anything smaller than a 243. You'd need a 22 or 223 barrel on the AR10.

Now there is no reason that you could not modify a Cienar kit, if you have access to a machine shop, to handle 22Mag rounds by altering the adapter chamber insert. There is no reason why a properly modified Cienar kit would not work well in an AR15.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I was joking due to the larger length of the .22 mag case, not actually coming up with something strange.

Due to the popularity of the 5.7, but the high cost of ammo and such keeping people out, why not bring out an improved model of the Grendel pistol (I think it was called that) that had a 20 round mag of .22 mag semi-automatic power!!:D They just need to design it better than the old one...

Top Bottom