• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    My family goes on an annual pheasant hunting trip that I have heretofore been unable to attend due to first school and then work obligations...this year I can finally go! As the trip is coming up soon (I just found out I would be able to go), I need to get some practice in (I have only every shot a shotgun a handful of times in skeet/trap scenarios and never hunting). Although my Dad has many shotguns I could borrow, I won't see him until we meet up on the trip and I would prefer to be able to practice ahead of time with the gun I am going to use...and I have been thinking about picking up a shotgun myself anyway.

So if you were buying a shotgun to be used for bird hunting and trap or skeet...what would you choose? I am open to either 12 or 20 gauge and o/u or auto. I have shot examples of all of those configurations of my Dad's before and don't really have a preference. I think I am new enough I could adapt to either format. In terms of price range, I am flexible although I'd prefer to not spend over $1200 and am not in race to spend the most I can.

Besides picking up a gun, I also have to pick up all the gear as well...this is going to be a learning experience for sure.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think it is hard to beat a Remington 11-87. For pheasants I would go with a 12 guage. With choke tubes you can use it for skeet or trap then as well. If you go opening day you might open your choke up to modified, after that for wild pheasants I would suggest keeping the full tube in.

Doubles are great. They are beautiful and nice to shoot. The nice ones are pretty expensive though. For pheasants though it is nice to have the additional shells (take out the plug for waterfowling and you can probably carry a total of 5 counting the one in the chamber).

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've done ALL of my hunting and trap/skeet with Remmy's: 870 or 11-87. Good guns and great price. You might even look to pick up a used one for a good price.

But, if I was going out now and had $1200 to spend, I'd look hard at a Benelli. I point them better and they are light compared to their gas-powered Remmy cousins.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I've done ALL of my hunting and trap/skeet with Remmy's: 870 or 11-87. Good guns and great price. You might even look to pick up a used one for a good price.

But, if I was going out now and had $1200 to spend, I'd look hard at a Benelli. I point them better and they are light compared to their gas-powered Remmy cousins.

When my Dad or Brother are hunting with autos they use one of their Benellis. My Brother seems to really like his (and my Dad's) but my Dad seems to prefer the O/U setup although he will take some of his Benellis out from time to time. I guess part of the challenge for me is not knowing what features or characteristics of the gun are important when looking for a hunting gun (I have bought my fair share of self-defense and plinking guns but none in this area).

Thanks for suggestions so far all advice is helpful

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    All the long-time pheasant hunters I know use 20 gauges. A 12 ga. may be more gun than you need to do the job and/or want to lug around all day (and too many pellets to eat around - pheasants are fine eating).

How many shotguns to plan to have in your battery? What kind of hunt is this going to be (i.e. shooting on a preserve in a single field for an hour or 2 or will you be in the field all day)?

The 12 is a good do-all utility gauge, but the 20 can be a very trim, fast handling field gun. Either will do the job on phesants. The 12 will give you a few more pellets as insurance and is the more versatile of the two.

Last edited:

Warwagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I've been hunting pheasant for 10 years now, and all I've ever used is my Mossberg 500. I've never had a problem with accuracy and I like the way it feels in my hands.

I use the improved modified choke. Seems to be a great combination with #6 shot.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you can't hit a pheasant with a single shot 410 they deserve to get away. :):

j/k [flame suit on]

OK, but since it would do double duty as a trap skeet gun, then an O/U 12GA would be great, but they will cost more. For semi-auto Remington 1100 or 11-87 and Mossberg 930 are nice and don't break the bank.

For pumps I would scour the gun show for a sweet Winchester Model 12. After that a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Last edited:

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    u know it depends on your money. if it was me i would go with a auto 20 gauge or a over and under. think about it if your going to north or south dakota you will most likely walking alot, so think about weight.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    All good advice. I use a 12ga 870 and have for years, I just prefer the pump guns. I also have a model 37 steelbuilt Winchester 16 ga that was my grandfathers for the single shot experience.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    what is a ruger red label going for these days? i would likely shoot one of my remingtons, 870, 1100 or 11-87, but i like the way the red label swings.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I have hunted upland game and birds with a 20ga double for 45 years. I like the light doubles. Plus you have 2 differant chokes on 1 gun. (improved to modified or full) This is advantagous if you miss with the 1st shot, you have a tighter follow-up choke on the second shot. I looked at a very nice 20 o/u with choke tubes, single selective trigger and nice wood, at Beech Grove Firearms. $500.00
    I thought about it real hard myself. I have (12) bird guns already.
    SOS

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I got my first pheasant many years back with an auto. I think it was a cutomized 1989 Chevy Van. The bird waited alongside of the road until I was almost to it and flushed right into my grill. It was cold that day and when the bird hit the plastic in the grille it broke the grill into pieces.

I have never had grilled Pheasant since.

Top Bottom