• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    The little Marlin .357 leverguns are pretty accurate...

...but there isn't anything particularly noteworthy about this 50 yard group, is there...?

NightScout50yardsmidnight.jpg

. . . except. . .

I fired it at 50 yards, at NIGHT

. . . in total darkness, other than a few stars were out...

I was out there last night, checking the gates on the back pasture we'd just opened up for the fall/winter, and since the shooting range is just on the far side of it, I just had to take a few shots while I was out there!

You CAN have a nice low-noise (rifle, using handgun ammunition), low-flash (.38 Special ammo), firearm, for use about the farmstead, which can be used in day or night lighting, without hearing protectors if needed (as in an emergency), and is potent enough to deal with anything in Indiana that would go 'bump' in the night...

Ranch-rifle [noun] - a lightweight carbine-type firearm suitable for a variety of ordinary farm/ranch tasks, including predator control, putting down livestock if necessary, taking advantage of game spotted during hunting season while out doing other chores, control of feral dogs or cats in the process of damaging livestock, and suitable for home protection if needed.'

I’ve always felt the ideal ‘ranch gun'*** would be a carbine (lightweight and handy), in a pistol cartridge (plenty of close-up power, without the deafening clang of a bottleneck round, and with minimally-blinding muzzle-flash if used at night). For rapid handling a semiauto or levergun seemed to be the obvious choices, and although I’m a fan of detachable box magazines for hunting, the higher capacity ones you might want for a pack of coyotes in the goat pen did not tend to be found in anything other than 9mm and .45 ACP. The 9mm long guns I’ve used never seemed to feed well, and that round wouldn’t be my first choice if the gun were pressed into duty for home protection. The Marlin Camp Rifle seemed to be a good choice for the .45 ACP, but the higher capacity magazines stick out rather awkwardly. (I still like the idea, though - if maybe I could adapt it to use a Para-Ordnance wide-body magazine...).

So that left me looking at my leverguns, to see which one would make a natural ‘ranch’ gun for when the .22LR isn’t enough. If I lived in bear country, I’d want the .45-70 or .444 level of power, but I’d be just as deaf and blind as if I used a .308. So that left .45 Colt, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, and .32-20. Potential need to use factory ammunition ruled out the first and last, and in choosing between the .44 Mag and .357 Mag it boiled down to what one I had a ‘spare’ of. Since the youngest (so far) hunter in the family decided she didn’t need to use a .357 any more because she didn’t mind the recoil of a .44, I commandeered the family 1894css, and started my project.

***Note - I was unsure where to put the 'apology for creating a non-traditional levergun' disclaimer, but I figured that since I used a blasphemous stainless steel gun, that the anti-electonic-gizmo guys wouldn't read the post anyway...

Since half the time we have feral animals or coyotes or whatever eating our livestock, it is dusk or dark, it seemed prudent to use sights capable of reasonable use during those conditions. Real 'night sights' might be nice, but are incredibly expensive, heavy, and not useful or practical in the daytime, whereas the EoTech Holosight is very useful in all light conditions. Add a laser and a flashlight, and you're good to go check the stock when they're frenzying about something out in the woods. Note that if you simply remove the light, this setup is actually legal hunting gear in many places; it wouldn't be my choice of deer setups sight-wise, but it would do the job. More likely the bullets will be aimed at coyotes and whatever comes to eat our chickens.

Here’s the raw materials:

01-RawMaterials.jpg

Some pictures of the final project (...it's never really 'final' - I keep modifying it and finding better things to substitute...)

12-NightScoutOverall.jpg

The sight picture is really hard to show, but here’s a couple of shots:

13-SightPicture3.jpg

14-SightPicture1.jpg

Here's some of the other sights I looked at:

Holosights-1.jpg

I settled on the Burris FastFire-II and the LaserMax (it is low enough to not obscure the field of view, even with the little FastFire-II)

NightScoutwithBurris-2.jpg

I also substituted the 190-lumen Coast 'LED-lenser' light for the Duracell 70-lumen one (which was brighter than the newer mini Mag-Lights).

Here's the finished "Marlin Night Scout"

NightScout4.jpg

Of course, now I have to make one using a Rossi 92 - here's the project so far...

IMG_5150.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You're my hero...

Seriously. That's nice.

I've read a few articles about "tactical" 30-30 rifles... I've wanted a 30-30 ever since. Easier and less expensive to find them than any of the PCR's; at least around here. If 30-30 ever makes it to the Indiana Approved list for deer hunting, they'll go up in price, too.

Where are you located, OP? Indiana?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Very nice job! I've been wanting a .357 lever gun for a long time. And all your reasons definitely make sense. I was thinking about getting one of the H&R single shots just for hunting, but I think I'll wait till I can afford a lever and do all that except maybe the laser.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've been looking at the Marlin lever-action's in .357...wanting to stay with the caliber I use the most of (plus .38's to save $$). Seeing this post...makes me want to lean in this direction rather than toward a 5.56 caliber weapon.

Two questions:

1. What is your max range with this weapon that you would consider accurate? 100 yards...200 yards...300 yards...400 yards, etc.?

2. Which ammo would you consider to be the best through a rifle like this? Black Hills, Federal, Remington, etc?

3. Lastly, what grain fires best or is most accurate in a rifle like this? The lighter ammo, such as the 125 grain JHP's...or a heavier round in the 158 and 180 grain stuff?

Thank you.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Looks great! Very well done, your three shot group proves it! +1 for night shooting practice!
    I think you would have to have a flash hider on there to be tactical! Just sayin!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Nice! Wish my M92 Trapper had come with the front sight where yours is instead of being integral with the barrel band. I'd really like to go to a FO bead, but there's no practical way to do it that I've been able to come up with. The base is too small for a 3/8" dovetail (or any of the common pistol cuts I've measured), shotgun beads are too short and way larger than I'd like. Even if I cut off the existing blade, removed the base of a standard rifle-type FO blade and cut a slot & pin arrangement it'd be much too long. Ditto for the Ruger and S&W aftermarket handgun FO replacements I've seen.

At the going rates for a proper gunsmith's time plus machine set-up fees, having the existing base ground-off the band and a new dovetail cut abaft of it for a conventional blade is just too expensive for me to justify right now. (Heavy sigh!)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Man after my own heart.

I currently have a Marlin 336, old waffle top model that was a little rough, undergoing transformation.

The barrel has been cut back to 16.5", stock shortened about 1.5" with a low profile rifle pad added, fire sights installed and the whole shebang is now at Mr. Birdsong's shop for a little Birdsong Teflon Green.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd like to hear more about your underbarrel light mount. Did you rig that up using a piece of pipe?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've got a question about your Rossi 92. I've got one of those and it ejects from the top. Does the rig in your pic interfere with ejection? Nice job, by the way.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Nice project.
    I may look into using some of your ideas on my 45-70 Guide Gun. Already have a Millet red-dot mounted way out on a XS rail. The dot comes into view immediately upon shouldering the rifle but I like the reflex type sight for it's wider field of view.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Man after my own heart.

I currently have a Marlin 336, old waffle top model that was a little rough, undergoing transformation.

The barrel has been cut back to 16.5", stock shortened about 1.5" with a low profile rifle pad added, fire sights installed and the whole shebang is now at Mr. Birdsong's shop for a little Birdsong Teflon Green.

Whos doing your work?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Barrel, stock and sights were done by the local Gander Mountain. I figured the work was straight forward, uncomplicated and I had a huge gift card. The Birdsong T in green is, of course, being done by Birdsong.

I plan on reviewing the work done by GM and Birdsong and showin' off the rifle when it is done.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I bought my 44 mag Marlin a few years ago for hunting. Once I started shooting it more, I really enjoyed it. I've come to pack it in the truck with me at all times. They are handy little rifles, I might grab a 357...

Top Bottom