• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've got 2 AR15s that are built with DPMS lower parts kits.

Just curious but what are your guys thoughts about the DPMS quality?

Personally I can't wait to change out the DPMS triggers. They seem to be the worst that I own, in fact I think worse by a large margin.

One of mine has a bolt release that was very rough, barely fit, had to be smoothed out pretty extensively.

Anyone else think that the DPMS lower parts kits are bottom of the barrel goods?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Re: triggers. Did you do any hammer/sear prep, or just drop them in as they came in the kits?

Also, what brand of lower were you installing these into? Were you able to confirm the hole locations and dimensions?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Re: triggers. Did you do any hammer/sear prep, or just drop them in as they came in the kits?

Also, what brand of lower were you installing these into? Were you able to confirm the hole locations and dimensions?

Yup, polished them up before dropping them in, took them out, refitted, put them back in, etc.

As for the lower brand, they are both in SNS "Skull" lowers. SNS is not the best brand out there, but its pretty good. Certainly not known as crap. Didn't take a micrometer to the lowers, but I did match up the lowers (before doing the builds ) to my Bushmaster lowers and everything looked like it lined up.

Given the general rougher overall appearance of the DPMS parts and finish, I'm blaming the DPMS parts, not the lower receivers! I thought Bushmaster was bad compared to my Olympic Arms stuff, but the DPMS stuff is pretty crappy compared to the Bushmaster. None of the fits and finishes compare to the quality I see in my Charles Daly Defense units.

I guess there is a reason the DPMS stuff sells for less than everyone else's stuff.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have had issues with out-of-spec DPMS LPK's in the past.

Well I'm not sure that I am exactly 'glad' to hear that I am not the only one who finds the DPMS lower parts kits to be lacking in quality, but it is nice to know that my observations of the two I've purchased are validated by someone else who's used them and observed the same quality control issues. I had been thinking about buying a DPMS rifle in 308 but had serious reservations about it after using these lower parts kits. Its actually been bothering me and that is why I started this thread. I think I'm going to pass on the DPMS AR10 variant and consider some of the other brands, possibly the Remington R25 or an Armalite. If DPMS can't get the small parts right then I can't trust them to get the whole rifle correct either.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well I'm not sure that I am exactly 'glad' to hear that I am not the only one who finds the DPMS lower parts kits to be lacking in quality, but it is nice to know that my observations of the two I've purchased are validated by someone else who's used them and observed the same quality control issues. I had been thinking about buying a DPMS rifle in 308 but had serious reservations about it after using these lower parts kits. Its actually been bothering me and that is why I started this thread. I think I'm going to pass on the DPMS AR10 variant and consider some of the other brands, possibly the Remington R25 or an Armalite. If DPMS can't get the small parts right then I can't trust them to get the whole rifle correct either.

I too have recently experienced a lack of quality with DPMS - and I'd stray away from Armalite - they are NOT the same company they used to be - I believe they were bought out by Vulcan Arms - a manufacturer well known for issues and putting out junk.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I thought Bushmaster was bad compared to my Olympic Arms stuff, but the DPMS stuff is pretty crappy compared to the Bushmaster.
    Oly better than Bushmaster? I'd pick bushmaster any day of the week over Oly. DPMS is lower cost, but IMO is on par with Olympic and S&W for AR's.

None of the fits and finishes compare to the quality I see in my Charles Daly Defense units.

For the price it'd better be higher quality. It should also give you a reach around and cook you breakfast the next morning for how bad they rape you :laugh:

I've got two DPMS lowers, one stripped (finish looks perfect) and one complete on the bottom of my S&W 5.45x39 upper. That combo runs flawlessly. I don't have anything against them, but all my (and a few friends) experience with DPMS is on kits and/or guns built prior to the last 6 months. Who's to say what's happened since?

It could be a situation like with wolf ammo. Wolf was top notch stuff (albeit dirty) back in 2000 up to about 2003/2004. Since then the quality has been steadily declining. Old timers continue to say wolf is great, newbies say wolf sucks. Those of us who've used both can usually bridge the gap and explain the contrasting points of view. I won't buy any current production wolf, but thats another topic.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oly better than Bushmaster?
    Yup, I know a lot of people say Oly is junk, and their old cast receivers were, but those have not been made for years. Their newer stuff is bargain priced and better finished than Bushy.
    For the price it'd better be higher quality.
    Well the Charles Daly Defense M-4s are rated very highly on the little charts that everyone seems to be all bent out of shape about, and I've gotten 4 built CD-D lowers at prices substantially below Bushmaster prices, but I have to admit that I've got a connection inside CD/KBI. The CD-D triggers are the best mil-spec triggers I've found of any brand. The fit/finish of the CD-D is superior to any of the common brands and on par with the premium brands, in fact I'd rank it as a premium brand. :twocents:

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oly better than Bushmaster? I'd pick bushmaster any day of the week over Oly. DPMS is lower cost, but IMO is on par with Olympic and S&W for AR's.

Bushmaster is way better IMO compared to Olympic - I just got off the phone with a dealer that had them in stock and even he said they were junk.

They are well known for low cost & low quality.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Bushmaster is way better IMO compared to Olympic
    Well you and Pro and I are just going to have to agree to disagree because I believe their new stuff criticized because their old stuff was inferior.

Still, it does seem that there is a common agreement among all of us here with regards to the DPMS parts kits.

The DPMS lower parts kits are not well made, out of spec and rough fitting. Personally, I'd probably consider buying another DPMS Lower Parts Kit, but only if I could get it for about $35 or $40. By the time you factor in labor polishing it up, grinding the burrs off the pieces and making it fit, the prices I see charged for the DPMS kits simply are not worth it. I'd rather pay $5 to $10 more and get something that actually fits, is smoothly finished, and doesn't require the flats to be smoothed out so they fit into the gun frame.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    and I'd stray away from Armalite - they are NOT the same company they used to be - I believe they were bought out by Vulcan Arms - a manufacturer well known for issues and putting out junk.

Armalite is one of the better companies out there, they are in no way affiliated with Hesse/ Vulcan.

I know Cerebus bought Cobb Manufacturing, Bushmaster, DPMS, and Remington, but I'm not positive what the R25 is based off. I thought it was the DPMS .308s since Bushmasters .308 never really took off.

And I also have had problems with DPMS LPKs. Nasty trigger, sloppy safety, and those crappy spiral pins.

Oh, FYI, Bushmaster had LPKs on sale last week for $49.95, which is a very good buy. Unfortunatly, I've never used one, yet, just CMT, RRA, Armalite, and DPMS.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Yea the new Remingtons are based off the DPMS rifles. They take DPMS mags. Bushmaster doesn't have their own .308 semi rifle because the abandoned their rifles that take FAL mags. RRA bought the rights back and are now producing them. How fast they are is still up for debate.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, I just got off of the phone with a guy who knows the DPMS crew well. He said that all of DPMS's parts are made here in the US. He also said they are on the verge of ISO 900X certification. He admitted that there have been issues in the past, but as of late, the parts they are not knowingly putting out sub-par parts and they are working hard to improve the image they had from past.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    there have been issues in the past, but as of late, the parts they are not knowingly putting out sub-par parts

Well then they have bigger problems than they know. The two DPMS parts kits I used were purchased in August from a reputable, large, high volume mail order supplier. I would say that is pretty current. The fact that they are "not knowingly putting out sub-par parts" simply means they may have really crappy quality control.

Top Bottom