• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I have recently purchased a Ruger 44 carbine. I plan to hunt deer with it this season. I'm requesting any info on which factory loads will group the tightest pattern at 50 yards out of an 18" barrel.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know the Rugers are getting hard to find. I have two different uncles with these carbines. I think they shoot the remington semi-jacketed rounds. Not sure what the bullet weight is.

I do know that just because someone has the same gun, doesnt mean that the same ammo will work well with yours.

The best bet is to buy a few boxes and test it out to find the load/brand that you feel works well with the gun.

-James

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I bought a hundred rounds of MagTech 240 grain jacket soft point. I read good things about them and they were only $27 per 50 rounds. I just picked up a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag and will be taking it to Atterbury tomorrow after work. I added XSsights to have a nice post and ghost ring. The new Marlins have real rifling, instead of the microgrove they used to. However, the twist is still 1 in 38". This means most people have trouble stabalizing anything over 300 grain. I'll let you know how the MagTechs do. They got good reviews on Midway. I'll also be trying 210 grain Silvertip and a few others.

Longshot7mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I'm try to remember the load what we used to use in silhouette....i beleive it was 23.5 grains of H110 power with a sierra 240gr hollowpoint. I used it in a Freedom Arms 44 mag and it will shoot a sub 2 inch group at 200 meters in the right hands. We haven't found a 44 rifle or pistal of any make or manufacturer that this load doesn't work in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Personally wouldn't choose a hollow point for this application. I would be willing to listen to an argument that supported it, but at this point I will stick with a solid faced projectile for deer. Just a thought.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I have 4 differant factory loads to try tomorrow. I am a firm believer in doing my sight-in homework and good grouping is a must. Alas, I don't reload so I'm stuck with factory loads. Oh, Indyjoe. I sold the 3 screw.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have 4 differant factory loads to try tomorrow. I am a firm believer in doing my sight-in homework and good grouping is a must. Alas, I don't reload so I'm stuck with factory loads. Oh, Indyjoe. I sold the 3 screw.

Good deal. That was a nice looking pistol.

I've read a couple places were the hollow points can get damaged in tube fed levers. In a .44 mag, I don't think you have to worry about over driving the hollow point (as with a .357 carbine), but I'm a believer in soft point or hard cast out of the lever .44, from all the research I did before buying. I have a feeling that I'll be shooting hard cast out of this before long. With the price of lead dropping, it is a good time to stock up for later casting. Many deer have been dropped in a couple feet from 250 grain hard cast.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm not terribly pleased with the groups I was able to get at 50 yards. The MagTech 240 grains seemed to do best for me, but were still at 5". I think half of that is me with irons. Although, I grouped less than 2" with my .22s and iron sights. With some lead SWC reloads in 240 grain, I had key holing at 50 yards. :n00b:

Standing, I was able to keep 2 out of 5 in vitals hits at 100 yards. Two wouldn't have missed, but would have been really bad hits. It is minute of deer out a little past 50 yards.

The rear ghost is much bigger than my Appleseed gun. I might try reducing the size a little and see if I can reduce the groups. Although, that might be harder in low light.

After 70 rounds of full house .44 Mag, my shoulder can feel it a little. :D

Top Bottom