Stock I picked up at the 1500...
    ARParts002.jpg

DPMS Lower I picked up at AAC...
    ARParts004.jpg

DPMS parts kit also from AAC...
    ARParts005.jpg

Altogether now...:D
    ARParts001.jpg

I'm hoping to get it all together soon. Probably have help from SilentWarrior. I can't wait to get it completed. I'm looking to build an SBR with a 10.5" barrel in 5.56. Not looking forward to the long wait and all the BS but it's worth it. I thought about putting a 16" barrel on it in the mean time but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money. I already have a full size Norinco SKS for the long shots...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've used 2 of those DPMS lower parts kits. They are of dubious quality. I hope that your's are better quality than mine were. I had rough finishes, out of spec parts, and totally crap triggers. Several others here have had very similar experiences with DPMS lower parts kits. There was a thread here just about the crap quality control we found when we tried to fit them. Not sure what you paid, but MidwayUSA is selling that for $47.99 right now, even at that price, based on my experience with them I still think its way over priced.

Now all my bitching out of the way, go ahead and open the kit and put the rifle together.

Honestly if you can follow the exploded diagram on the back of the package you can put the gun together in about 15 or 20 minutes. It will help if you have a set of brass punches and small brass mallet to beat in the roll pins (brass punches/hammers won't take the finish off the gun, which is why I recommend brass). But seriously, do not be afraid try to put it together by yourself, it is really a pretty simple process.

Just a hint, put the rear stock on last. Put the internal trigger parts in first, then follow that with the handgrip and safety. The front retention pin, mag release and bolt release can go in in any sequence. The rear retention pin is held in place by the buttstock.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I read that thread pretty throughly and I appreciate the vote of confidence. I don't think I'm really ready to put this together on my own and with with not having the money to replace anything I may break I this I'd rather have help. SilentWarrior just lives a spits throw away and he's pretty handy with the AR platform.

As far as the kit being bad quality, Short of buying a whole new kit, what can I do to make it better? Also, staying in the same price range, what would be a better choice of parts kit? Another question. When building the Upper, would I be better off to build the upper also, or just outright buy an assembled Upper?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For all of it or the parts kit?

Obviously too much for the parts kits if that's what you mean

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    No for the whole set. They had DPMS complete lowers there for 209$

I was able to pick up a trigger and buttstock for 100$ even to go on a stripped lower that I already had.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    WOW! I paid 160 for all the lower parts and 30 for the stock. I'm currently thinking of making an SBR with this whole setup but I have questions in the ClassIII threads about it. So far I think I'm doing good. I really wanted the DPMS stock assembly, but I was short and the guy wouldn't budge. Oh well. No name is better than nothing! :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As far as the kit being bad quality, Short of buying a whole new kit, what can I do to make it better?
    Have a Dremel tool handy in case you need to grind it down to spec. I had oversize parts and parts that had what appeared to be weld spittle (but obviously it was not) preventing fitting.

When building the Upper, would I be better off to build the upper also, or just outright buy an assembled Upper?
    How much accuracy do you want? If you want extreme accuracy don't build it yourself. If you are doing a SBR or a plinker or a basic M4 then you may want to build it yourself to gain experience.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yes, going for an SBR. I've got my SKS for the long shots and was wanting to make this my CQC rifle. I PRAYING price don't soar before tax time comes around otherwise I'm screwed. Hopefully they don't soar before Jan1st so I can pick up some of those nice mags at the next 1500!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Good luck with the build. I've been pondering building an AR someday. I just don't know a damn thing about how to build'em, and I lack any mechanical talent.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Good luck with the build. I've been pondering building an AR someday. I just don't know a damn thing about how to build'em, and I lack any mechanical talent.

IF I CAN DO THEN YOU CAN DO IT. :yesway:

And I've done it a couple times from scratch and modified others.

NO mechanical talent is required. Seriously to build a lower you only assemble little parts by putting them into place in the receiver. Its as close to idiot proof as you can get.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008

NO mechanical talent is required. Seriously to build a lower you only assemble little parts by putting them into place in the receiver. Its as close to idiot proof as you can get.

I couldn't agree more. That is why uncle sam hands em out, damn near stupid proof..

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    THere are a lot of good artiles on AR15.com on how to put them together. Pictures and all. I just want someone there with me so I don't mess it up some how. Like Melensdad said, he had to modify some parts to spec. I wouldnt know how.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

I've literally been pondering building an AR for months now. I just don't seem to have the patience to figure these types of things out. Assembling my 4-year old's toys kicks my a$$.

For me, if I could watch someone put an AR together it would be helpful. Just like most things, once you do it once it becomes easy.

Breaking down my SIG 556 to clean it the first time almost caused my brain to burst!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    They have some good videos on you tube I think. Again, AR15.com is a good builders resource. I've gone there a few times to learn somethings myself. Have a bunch of posts I saved to my knowledgebase! The AR is a bit overwhelming just looking at the exploded diagram on the parts kit and reading assembly procedure but if it's as easy as you all say it is I shouldn't have many problems. And if I can do, Bigum, you can do it too! :D

USPc40

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Madison County
    I have assembled 2 AR-15 stripped lowers, 1 just today. I went to AR15.com, Build it yourself, How to assemble a stripped lower. Print the parts picture, lay your parts out on the picture, read thru the post a few times and watch the video link. It really is pretty easy to do.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've decided to hold off on my build in favor of building an SBR. Got to get the lower engraved and to get it done above the trigger it must be stripped. Good thing I haven't assembled! :D I sent off for my paperwork today so once it's cleared, off to the engraver she goes. Then I can get her together and work on getting the upper. I'm so excited and so broke! LOL It's ok though, my mind is telling me patience, the bug bite is telling me DOITDOITDOIT! :D

Top Bottom