Inexpensive Semi-Auto Shotgun and does Wal-mart still sell shotguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Hello,

I recently shot trap for the first time and fell in love with it. I was also invited to go deer hunting for the first time this year. I've been an avid handgun and hi power rifle owner for many years. However, I've never owned a shotgun.

The guys at the Indiana Gun Club let me use a Winchester SX3 shotgun to shoot trap. That gun was really nice, other than the ugly red accents :)

I would like to purchase my first shotgun and would love to get your recommendations. I want to spend $200-$400, so I know that won't buy much (definitely not an SX3). A lot of folks have told me to get a Rem 870 express or Mossberg 500 (pumps) to start.

I would prefer a semi-auto over a pump, but may not find one in my price range.

People have told me to go to Wal-Mart to get the 870 or 500 because they have the best prices on lower end shotguns. Do any Indy area Wal-Marts still sell shotguns?

I've found some off brand semi-autos for sale at CDNN. There is a Adco Vega semi-auto 12 ga for $199 and a Mitchell Sabre semi-auto for $239. I can't find much info on them, so I'm probably going to stay away from them.

Also, one last newbie question. What is the benefit of 3.5" shells vs. 3" or 2.75"? I see that lower priced shotguns normally can't shoot 3.5" shells.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Look at the Charles Daly brand. Great warranty on their products and modest prices.

As for Wal Mart, yes, SOME of the stores still sell guns. I'm under the impression MOST do, but I know in some of the urban areas they have stopped selling guns do to political pressure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll be VERY hard pressed to find any walmarts in the Indy area that still sell firearms. Best bet would be to take an hour drive from town (any direction, really) and see. Might want to look up store phone numbers and inquire first, though, before the drive.

Can also hit area pawn shops to see if they have anything in stock.

-J-

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You'll be VERY hard pressed to find any walmarts in the Indy area that still sell firearms. Best bet would be to take an hour drive from town (any direction, really) and see. Might want to look up store phone numbers and inquire first, though, before the drive.

Can also hit area pawn shops to see if they have anything in stock.

-J-

The Walmart in West Lafayette has guns, last I saw. About others, I know not.

Blessings,
    B

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Century Carries both Russian and Turkish made semi's for resonable prices.
    PM me your e-mail and I will send you the Dealer catalog.

F.Y.I. most shotguns are being made overseas. Remingtons Spartans are Russian.

SOG (Southern Ohio Guns) has used 870's (police trade ins) for $179 and $199 w/rifle sights.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    The Remington Spartans (Bakial) are great guns, and so are the Charles Daly. Stoger makes a decent gun. They copied and are imported by Beretta/Benelli.
    The Walmart in Columbus still sells guns.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I also am a fan of the semi-autos, you can get a nice used Remington 1100 in the $300 to $400 range at most gun shows or flea markets or the used rack at most gun shops, the reason for the Remington is proven reliability and easily available parts if u ever need any, although they rarely have problems. also if u get a rem-choke barrel you can easily change chokes. You can also check out gunbroker.com for a modest priced Winchester 1400, usually a real nice one in the
    $175 to $300 range, also do not be shy about buying a used Sears Ted Williams if u find on ( most were made by Winchester for Sears) usually in the $90 to $175 range.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    2 3/4 are most common. If you want to shoot skeet, that's what you will be using.
    3 is for a little more punch. These are commonly used for geese, deer, and other larger or tougher game.
    3.5 is for turkey. Lots of lead will be thrown down range.

Before anyone says anything - there is exceptions to every rule, but I will tell you that you won't enjoy trap shooting with 3 or 3.5 magnums.

Bear in mind that shotguns built for 3.5 inch magnums will not like to cycle 2 3/4 skeet loads. My dad has a Benelli super black eagle that is chambered for up to 3.5 inch magnums and it refuses to reliably cycle skeet loads. Also, you will pay a premium for a shotgun set up for 3.5

Walmart in Kokomo has some auto loaders in the 300 to 400 range (if I remember correctly)

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Can't go wrong with the Indiana Gun Club. Talk to Phillip or Steve at the counter, try some out, spend some cash and keep the economy going. They have such a wide selection, and you can try the used guns right out side the door!

Good folks there. Goog luck.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Okay, I've done some shopping and here's what I've found so far.

A buddy of mine might sell me his Savage 12 gauge pump for $50. I found a Mossberg 500 Field/Deer combo (comes with scope, field barrel and rifled deer barrel) for $250 at Dick's. I also can get a used Winchester 1400 auto used for $250, but it has a 30" barrel. Dick's also has a Stoeger Condor O/U 12 gauge on sale for $270.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Mossberg because it comes with everything that I will need to get started. I'm intrigued by the Winchester 1400 because it's an auto from a reputable manufacturer. Not sure I want an O/U, but $270 seems like a pretty good price. I'll probably buy my buddy's Savage pump 12 gauge for the fun of it regardless.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    $250 for the Mossberg Combo will be the best money you spend for a shotgun. Especially if you plan on deer hunting. Having the two barrels will be the best compromise situation for any of your shooting needs. Over/Unders not the best slug guns. Enjoy.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Can't argue against the Mossberg. Still made in USA. I've been using my 835 combo for anything you can think of for 12 years now and haven't been disappointed.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I sure thought about that Coeger O/U at Dicks, but decided I didn't want one that badly. I have a remington 870 and i think i'll sell it and get an auto pretty soon. I was looking at the charles daley because of price but that mossberg 930 looked like a steal.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    wal mart guns

Seymour walmart still sells guns,too.Anyone know of any Indy area walmart that does-I know Fishers,Greenwood and Southport do not.

Top Bottom