• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I have an old stevens crackshot, that at some point was converted to a .38 special. I tore the gun completly down and duracoated all the metal parts, but there were a few broken items. (lever, firing pin, and barrel retaining bolt) I got on a website and orderd the bolt and the firing pin, (forgetting the fact it was orginally a rimfire gun) so neither will work. The barrel bolt isnt a big deal, as I can tap a new bolt for that. I took the lever and had it welded and then i duracoated it. But the firing pin I have no idea what to do about that. its an offcentered pin with a recessed spring unded the pin to retract it. Does anybody know where to get custom parts made for cheap or to get that one fixed somehow? Its a cheap gun so i dont want to spend a whole lot of money on it, but its not doing any good without one.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    "Not wanting to spend alot of money" and restoration should never be in the same sentence, specifically with something unique like your Crackshot. Maybe a local machine shop? Can't imagine them turning down work in today's economy... :dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It sounds like since it was a "custom" situation to begin with that a custom solution is in order. If you still have the old pin, a machineshop could turn one down similar. I had that happen with an FN Barracuda I could not find a firing pin for. Cost me $50, but then again, I knew the guy running the machines...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Get the Yellowbook out and start calling. I honestly think you will be suprised what they are willing to do right now. Heck, I am trying to get a ratty looking finish off a 70 series Colt I picked up for refinishing and the bead blasting places STUMBLED over themselves trying to get me a price. My expectations on the price were so high, I felt bad choosing the middle bid (which was half of what I expected and saved to pay, the guys at the lower end were smaller, less experienced shops). It's hard for any metal working or machining right now, they want the work! :)

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    yeah that sounds like a good plan. A bunch of my freinds are all machinist but they all work for orthopedic companies so I know they cant make it for me.

Top Bottom