• ...and so much more!
  • Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Hiya guys,
    After shooting my buddy's AR, I've got a case of black rifle fever. I love the fact that a .22 conversion can be done on an AR for practicing fundamentals and would love to be doing some longer range competition shooting in a full power scene.

So I did a lot of reading into building a lower and upper, and making a rifle for myself, but it appears the total seems pretty close to that of purchasing a rifle (definitely a used one) outright. Then I have all the parts I need and can slowly make modifications as I see fit.

Let me know your experiences with your first black rifle and which route you suggest.

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    Ha - know the feeling. If this helps any, I've purchased a used Bushy and a new DPMS in the last six months, and..........not what I wanted! SO, I've sold one, selling the other, and have two lowers (1 Spike's, 1 Rock River), two different LPK's (1 Rock River single-stage, 1 Spike's and Spike's Battle Trigger group), both triggers and hammers will be polished, installed with the anti-rotation pins, and both will have uppers built to my specs. One will have a free-float rail, the other not..

The point is (after running on and on), that my BRD is out of control, and the only cure (albeit temporary) is to build your rifle(s) exactly the way you want them!!!! And have fun, it's great therapy for the winter-time blues. YouTube and Brownell's both have tons of videos to help with your build.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Ha - know the feeling. If this helps any, I've purchased a used Bushy and a new DPMS in the last six months, and..........not what I wanted! SO, I've sold one, selling the other, and have two lowers (1 Spike's, 1 Rock River), two different LPK's (1 Rock River single-stage, 1 Spike's and Spike's Battle Trigger group), both triggers and hammers will be polished, installed with the anti-rotation pins, and both will have uppers built to my specs. One will have a free-float rail, the other not..

The point is (after running on and on), that my BRD is out of control, and the only cure (albeit temporary) is to build your rifle(s) exactly the way you want them!!!! And have fun, it's great therapy for the winter-time blues. YouTube and Brownell's both have tons of videos to help with your build.

Thanks! Sounds like a build may be the best way to cure the fever.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have had the Black rifle fever for a few years!...aparently the cure is lack of funds! Or at least it supresses the temperature spikes!

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Whats this about ARs being black? Hmm new to me. But on a serious side pick one that comes in at your price point and will fulfill the needs you have. You will wind up wanting to change 75% of it anyways. I say buy and mod your first and build your secound after you train and figure out what works for you and what doesnt.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I know the feeling. We went shooting last Sunday (my birthday!) with some of my friends, and one of them brought his AR. I could tell my dad was having a great time with it, and he was even giving my friend tips on how to resolve some of the finicky stuff on the platform. On the drive home he announced "So when tax time comes, are you going to buy the AR and I buy the M9, or do you want to buy the pistol?" I got a chuckle.

I have been looking at them for a few months, and it looks like you can do a build for about $550 with basic MilSpec parts. Im not sure on the quality of it, but eh. Personally I want to play around with some cheap uppers and see if i can find something that is cheap and mostly works. Anyone have any suggestions for cheapies, even if you havent tested them?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Black Rifles are like Lays potato chips...you can't have just one!

My first was a budget build right after the 2008 elections, and before prices went crazy. Built a 16" midlength rifle based on a Smith and Wesson lower, and a Delton Complete kit. Rifle shot great, but I was already thinking about my second.

I found a Smith and Wesson M&P15 upper for my M&P15 lower, so then had to find another lower for the Del-Ton upper I had. That one ended up being a YHM lower.

So, now I have two. I've owned a few more lowers since, but have sold/traded them off towards other projects. I would definitely recommend going the route of building it yourself, since it is relatively easy, and helps you feel like the rifle is really "yours."

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Im a colt nut... my first was a preban A2... so I suggest going with a colt. They are damn fine black rifles. Plus much later I have done so many tweaks and upgrades its near indistinguishable from where it started, but if I could do it all over again I would the exact same way. Maybe shop around for a better deal mind you (pre-obama fever jacked up prices).

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I traded for my first AR, a Olympic Arms K16, last summer. The bug bit me hard...I have since built an SBR, a 28" 6.5 Grendel, a 458 Socom, a .22, a carbine for my wife, and I am in the middle of a long term SPR project. I am just about done with a 9mm upper for the SBR as well....oh yeah....and I built a DPMS pattern 308, too.

So yeah, I got the bug.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Is there a one-stop shop for finding this unicorn?

They used to be cheaper at jsesurplus.com, but they are still a good deal. You can get a complete upper for about $400. Add in a complete lower from surplusammo.com for $150-170, and there you have it. You could also use a Plumb Crazy complete lower for $130ish. Might be a little more than $550, but pretty close.

Of course you can often find complete guns for $600-650, if you look hard. Tough choice.

I am still looking for sources for cheaper parts that I can play with. My goal is to be able to find a cheap build that I can live with, then build five or six of them and give them to the guys in my wedding later this year. Thats the goal, if I cant do it cheap enough, it wont happen. I would need to get cost down to $400 or less for it to be viable right now, but bulk purchasing may help lower the price. If I dont make it, I dont make it. Either way I should have fun building a few budget ARs, and learn a bit about the platform.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Let me know your experiences with your first black rifle and which route you suggest.

My recommendation has always been "buy your first, build the rest".

I'm also not a fan of "(low) budget builds", as you tend to end up with a poor performing rifle because you let cost dictate your selection of poor-quality components.

When building you must also take into account the cost of shipping the various parts to your door, as well as the price of any tools that you had to buy to physically build it. Most times you can buy yourself a higher-quality complete rifle for the same or just a little more $$ than building a poor-quality rifle from cheap parts.

Here is a detailed account of my first experience with BRD: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/28436-my_bushmaster_m4_build-in-progress.html

And here's a more recent experience: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_spike_s_tactical_st-15_m4_le_carbine.html

Good luck! The sickness is awesome!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Take a look at these people too.

Welcome to DEZ Arms, Inc.

I've had VERY good luck, and performance from them.

BTW- I completed my first build about a year ago. I'm currently on number 5.

It is a sickness, but one I'd rather NOT be cured of!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    You can...

1. Buy a used rifle. Pay for a lot of stock parts you don't want on the gun included. Then go out into the world and buy so much crap you don't need and bolt it on.
    2. Build from scratch, buying all the crap you don't need along the way (<-this way is best and my way)

Plus, there is an incredible sense of satisfaction to constructing an AR15.

:-)

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    If your looking for a basic rifle then just buy one but if your wanting specific features then I say take the time and build it the way you want. Hey so you know chec us out time to time at support our sponcers for sales. right now were doing DPMS stripped lowers for $110 and UTG car style Quad rails for $65. We do sales time to time on Ar parts and acc. whitch can help you out alot on price if you are doing the building or up grading.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    remember when buying used to ask specific questions like "Who built the rifle" "What trigger group was used" "Who manufactured the Upper" "Who manufactured the Parts kit" so on so forth. I ask this all the time sence there are some parts manufactures I dont care for and when the AR craze what at its peak there were plenty of cheep parts that were sold at top prices. Now guys are dumping them to get the better ones for the same price as what they baught the first for.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Got the fever again myself.....Had an Colt preban H-Bar and a 9MM carbine years ago and let them get away (this is before the prices went crazy)
    Bought a Colt / Umarex M4 carbine .22 cal couple weeks ago just to plink with and now have the fever for a .223 carbine ! Time to sell a pistol so I can fund the fever :D

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My :twocents:

It's not much different than what's already been said, but it's mine.

A one-stop shop would be to buy it already assembled. If you want to save money and build your own, you probably can, but you will have to put some effort into searching and watching for parts.

My first AR was a Colt R6500, which is still in the safe but is on the chopping block. Second was a DPMS Dissipator. Sold it, and built my own. I've built ARs with kits from Model 1 Sales, J&T, and Del-Ton. That's the simplest way to get everything you need except for the lower receiver.

I've also pieced together the LPKs and used RRA and GG&G uppers on some. Again, good solutions. And I've built the uppers from scratch. A little more involved, but not much.

I think the benefit of building your own comes not only in the satisfaction, but also in knowing the components you're putting in it, and in gaining some knowledge of how the thing is put together and works together. That's a lot more than just buying a whole rifle and shooting. They are not overly complicated, and you can find anything you need to know online.

Top Bottom