• ...and so much more!
  • Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I'd like to.

It's an old Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 gauge. It was my dad's. It's in great condition, but it's more a hunting piece, and I really don't hunt.

I'm thinking about making it more "Tactical" by shortening the barrel, replacing the furniture with some synthetic stuff, adding a sling, etc.

Would it be more prudent to get a new/shorter barrel, or cut down the original?

I've seen replacement synthetic furniture on the 'net, but I'm not familiar with it and not versed on its quality.

I know very little about shotguns.

Any recommendations?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    personally, i'd keep that shotgun as is and acquire another. the modifications you mention would go along way towards an 870 or 500 with a slug barrel or combo.

just my opinion.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I agree, keep the Ithaca a family heirloom and buy a 870 and modify it. I have seen a lot of pretty good deals around on shot guns that have already been modified.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd like to.

It's an old Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 gauge. It was my dad's. It's in great condition, but it's more a hunting piece, and I really don't hunt.

I'm thinking about making it more "Tactical" by shortening the barrel, replacing the furniture with some synthetic stuff, adding a sling, etc.

Would it be more prudent to get a new/shorter barrel, or cut down the original?

I've seen replacement synthetic furniture on the 'net, but I'm not familiar with it and not versed on its quality.

I know very little about shotguns.

Any recommendations?

I wouldn't do it. Ithica made some legitimate tactical shot guns but I wouldn't ruin a nice piece like that. I've got one too.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    What would your Dad say about modifying the shotgun?

Often the best "accessories" for a shotgun are a few cases of shells. Slapping a bunch of plastic stuff on it won't make it tactical. It is your proficiency with your shotgun that matters.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah...i'd vote for not modifying the M-37. In my opinion, too much "history". Plus, when in good shape, they're GORGEOUS shotguns.

-J-

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    What would your Dad say about modifying the shotgun?

Often the best "accessories" for a shotgun are a few cases of shells. Slapping a bunch of plastic stuff on it won't make it tactical. It is your proficiency with your shotgun that matters.

He'd say, "It's yours...do whatever you want with it. I don't care if you paint it pink with pretty purple polka-dots."

He was a Democrat. ;)

If I was to mod it, it would be in such a way that I could return it to its original configuration.

I'll post pics of it shortly.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    With mossberg 500's going for around $200 I would just pick one of those up. there are plenty of "tacticool" upgrades for them, and they are great guns for the money.

2 shot guns are always better than one, and it is nice to have guns with wood furniture since it seems like most of the new stuff is plastic.

I would leave it alone and look into a mossberg 500 or remmington 870

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    You know...when you're right, you're right. I haven't looked at this piece in a while, and it is really beautiful.

I ain't touchin' it!

Thanks for keeping me on the right track.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Haven't checked serial number for age, but I'd expect mine to be at least 40 years old.

A quick perusal of intardnet images reveals other 37s with similar fore ends, so I don't know what is so "funny" about mine.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Haven't checked serial number for age, but I'd expect mine to be at least 40 years old.

A quick perusal of intardnet images reveals other 37s with similar fore ends, so I don't know what is so "funny" about mine.

ahh... Perhaps it's the newer (70's vintage) that have the funny looking ones, then. The two that I've handled have different ones.

-J-

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I saw this thread yesterday and just remembered I have a model 37 lightweight. Unfortunately the forend wood is split and I'm having trouble finding replacement furniture without going synthetic. Anyone have and ideas?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I saw this thread yesterday and just remembered I have a model 37 lightweight. Unfortunately the forend wood is split and I'm having trouble finding replacement furniture without going synthetic. Anyone have and ideas?

i can't recommend any one in particular, but there a lots of stock makers out there. have you tried numrich gun parts?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Glad you came to your senses about modifying the old Ithaca. They are great shotguns, I've got a beat up old 16 ga that is a bird slayer! As tot he fore-end they were famous for having the 'corncob' style for many years, as does mine. It's a cylinder shape with a slight taper front and rear that has rings turned into it for better gripping. It's the classic field grade wood on the 37.

Doug K

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Found this pic recently.
    This is me and my big brother, back in olden times.
    I'm holding the rabbit carcass.
    My big brother is holding the Ithaca M-37 shotgun in question.
    He always got to do the cool **** with Dad.
    I got to hold the corpses!

12202008014sy7.jpg

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Just in case you did'nt know, up thru 6 digit sn# are stamped on the end of the reciever between the magazine and the barrel. I'm not sure of the cut off date. The one you have pictured is of the newer style and looks to be in great shape. Because they are no longer made, I would'nt modify it. Besides, your Dad owned it. Just my .02 worth. Later, Bob

Ok, Let me add to this. Early post war: 1946-1947 The fore end will be of the 'Tootsie Roll' style.
    Pre-war fore end: Is of the small round checkered style.
    From there they used a couple different styles but all will be of the larger diameter pieces of wood.

PS: production started in 1937. Hence the name, Model 37

Last edited:
    Top Bottom