Big hands long arms which beginner rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Maybe it doesn't even matter which to g right now. Want to shoot politely in my back yard. Yard is small but wooded. In the summers I can do some target practice without endangering my neighbors but I don't want them to be afraid (mostly elderly folks) and the nearest range is hours away.

So, I want to learn to shoot a rifle -or better - I want to shoot squirrels or rabbits or these varmits digging up my yard. Not sure what the law is about shooting on my own property - perhaps I need to go to Walmart and get a 22 air rifle or a .177 air rifle with 1000fps+

Is the air rifle law different from the (marlin 60/ruger 10/22) style rifle law?

First, I wont be getting a Mossberg plinkster. Marlin 60 seems to be the best priced but the Ruger seems to offer greater adaptability down the road. My understanding is that I'd have to upgrade the Ruger to get the best out of it and that the Marlin is already shooting it's best out of the box. haven't read much on the Remington 597 or seen anything great about Savage products. I've seen a Marlin for 129.00 and a Ruger 10/22 for $229. Perhaps used is the best option. Any of you experts have an opinion? Looking for a true marksman's answer not just the opinion of the masses. I've read some other forums but figured here on ingunowners I'd get some better guidance from Indiana firearm pros.

Thanks all. Feel free to PM me.

Lastly, I have no idea about the hunting laws, seasons, and such so ... any advice is welcomed.

Last edited:

bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    one other thing. i have some neck, shoulder back issues. right eye dominant but my injuries make me a better shot from the left side. One of the guns I looked at was a Ruger fitted with a tactical arm so it had a pistol grip. It was far more comfortable than the standard Ruger or Marlin. BUT, I don't really want a tactical assault looking machine. The wood bodies looks great to me, if it gets all scratched and beat up -so be it. I wanna shoot it not look at it. So I'm looking for inexpensive(not cheap) but customizeable option. Not sure where to find used equipemnt near me. Pawn shops have greater prices, not sure if the Gun Show offer used pieces, so for now I'm stuck searching new in stores.

Marlins and Rugers abound.

Can I learn on a Crossman StromXT? a Titan GP? a Phantom .177cal($80.00at Walmart), or is this air rifle line of thinking counter product?

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For hunting laws and seasons go to DNR: Hunting Guide & Regulations and do your reasearch. There are times/situations when you can take animals out of season.

Marlin 60 is a great choice and I would pick it over the 10/22. Marlin also makes a lever action with a tubular magazine, which would help a bit if you shoot lefty.

As for shooting firearms/hunting/pest control on your own property you need to check your city/county regulations. By using and air rifle you can sometimes avoid these regulations.

For target practice you need a safe backstop, either natural or man made.

If you're shooting lefty, look into Savage bolt actions. One that is amidexterous is the Browning semi-auto. A sweet, light squirrel rifle, but quite pricey.

We don't know where you're from, so we can't recommend a store, but many gun shop will have a few used .22's. My son shoots lefty and I bought him an Ithaca model 49 single shot. It's ambidexterous and was I think $80 in good shape.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    Yeah i would also recommend going to a local gun shop and picking up a good used .22. There are so many models out there I'm sure you will find one that suits your needs

bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    I live near Bedford/Bloomington. I regularly pass through Seymour and all the towns between Greenwood and Louisville on I65.

Top Bottom