• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    This is my before and after pics. I built a higher cheekpiece to look through the scope better and then Duracoated it in AM tigerstripe. I was happy with the way it turned out. It is just a little labor intensive to put the templates on.
    DSCI0487.jpg
    DSCI0485.jpg

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Looks pretty good.Also like the way you modified the stock so you can use your red dot better. Seems like we need to start a painted rifle show and tell with everyone painting their guns now.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    The only reason I did the cheek piece was because I couldnt have my face on the stock when looking through the red dot, so I figured it wouldn't be very accurate so I cam up with my own free alternative(2x4, some wood glue, a couple stainless screws, and a little bit of filler) But I do agree it looks a little strange, but when you shoulder that gun you are looking right down the center of the scope. It doesnt look as bad if I take the extended butt pad off though.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The only reason I did the cheek piece was because I couldnt have my face on the stock when looking through the red dot, so I figured it wouldn't be very accurate so I cam up with my own free alternative(2x4, some wood glue, a couple stainless screws, and a little bit of filler) But I do agree it looks a little strange, but when you shoulder that gun you are looking right down the center of the scope. It doesnt look as bad if I take the extended butt pad off though.
    Red dot sights are parallax free, so having a perfect check weld isn't necessary to maximize accuracy. If you're using a traditional scope with an etched or wire reticle, then having a proper check weld is more critical. The same is true with open sights, the less your head moves around the better the results. But with a red dot sight this is totally irrelevant. Your head can bob around like a bobble head doll, but as long as you have both eyes open and see a dot on the target, that's where the bullet is going.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Red dot sights are parallax free, so having a perfect check weld isn't necessary to maximize accuracy. If you're using a traditional scope with an etched or wire reticle, then having a proper check weld is more critical. The same is true with open sights, the less your head moves around the better the results. But with a red dot sight this is totally irrelevant. Your head can bob around like a bobble head doll, but as long as you have both eyes open and see a dot on the target, that's where the bullet is going.
    Maybe he mis-spoke when he said accurate.

I can definitely see the benefit of such a set-up. It would allow you to get your head into position much quicker and keep it there while firing. Even though red-dots are paralax free, they have their limitations on the whole bending light thing so your head still has to be somewhat in front of them to see the dot.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Maybe he mis-spoke when he said accurate.

I can definitely see the benefit of such a set-up. It would allow you to get your head into position much quicker and keep it there while firing. Even though red-dots are paralax free, they have their limitations on the whole bending light thing so your head still has to be somewhat in front of them to see the dot.
    Just curious, do you use a RDS? I use little dinky RMR sights on rifles:

1144781932_FvMhs-L.jpg

All I have to do is get my face somewhere behind the rifle in a normal shooting position and the dot is right there, even with that little tiny RDS. The sight he has mounted on his rifle has a large field of view, so I doubt seeing the dot was his concern. I do believe he meant he thought he would see improved accuracy by adding a check piece to a RDS setup. I'm just saying he probably won't see any appreciable improvement in accuracy and really has limited the usefulness of the RDS concept. The RDS is designed for quick target acquisition and to allow the operator a wide field of view. It's not designed for precision work. If small groups are your goal, a traditional scope is your best solution.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just curious, do you use a RDS?
    Yes, I have 2 eotechs.

All I have to do is get my face somewhere behind the rifle in a normal shooting position and the dot is right there, even with that little tiny RDS. The sight he has mounted on his rifle has a large field of view, so I doubt seeing the dot was his concern. I do believe he meant he thought he would see improved accuracy by adding a check piece to a RDS setup. I'm just saying he probably won't see any appreciable improvement in accuracy and really has limited the usefulness of the RDS concept. The RDS is designed for quick target acquisition and to allow the operator a wide field of view. It's not designed for precision work. If small groups are your goal, a traditional scope is your best solution.
    That may be what he meant, I was just speculating that it may not have been what he meant.

Either way, your RMR is very low-profile. Does that allow you a somewhat normal cheek-rest position? If so that may be why you don't have problems. With the OP's RDS his is way up there, and I can definitely see where it would be a bit challenging to get a good sight picture, even though it is a red dot. At least with my eotechs, because of the way a hologram works, at a distance of 10" or more away from the sight if you are more than 3/4" off in your mount then you can't find the dot because it is "off the screen". Sure it's easy to take the extra second to find the dot at the range, but add in a little stress from a self-defense scenario or something related and that cheek rest may come in very handy.

:twocents:

Like I said, you won't catch it in my arsenal so I will never know just how handy it would come in. I'm just speculating that it probably will help the OP out a little.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    yeah I just meant that when my head is bobbing all over the place and the recoil of the gun si moving it all over its alot easier to have your face in place. Plus if I ever need to mount a small scope on it I will have the proper alignment

Top Bottom