• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I'd like to buy a shotgun to shoot sporting clays with my wife. I've only done it twice in my life and would like to get my own shotgun for that purpose. It would be a nice alternative to rifle and pistol shooting at the range.

My initial requirements are low cost, low recoil and simple operation (for the wife).

Would a 20 gauge O/U be a good choice? If so what makes are a good fit?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I literally just bought a Mossberg 500 Field (28" vent rib barrel, mid bead and front bead sight, wood furniture) for that very reason, with similar criteria. $240 out the door at Dick's Sporting Goods.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Trap and Shooting Clays are to different games. So which is it? Or are you going to do both? A good used O/U designed for Trap or Shooting Clays will start around $900.00. IMO it is better to get a 12 ga and shoot light target loads. Some good brands: Browning and Beretta.

Best thing would be to go to a gun club and try out some shotguns. What fits for me may not fit for you. I know most clay shooters would be more than happy to help you.

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    As singlesix said, you have to find a gun that fits you or you won't do well. If that is a stoeger then great. Throw on a limbsaver recoil pad and shoot. I have a browning citori with a gracoil system on it and love it. Personally I would stay with 12 gauge, but that's just me. Good luck.

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    There are some good, older single shot break actions out there that can me had for a good price if you look. I've been shooting my grandfather's Iver Johnson Special Trap for the last 16 years and it's still my favorite trap gun. It's got a loooooong 32" barrel, it's easy to operate and has very mild recoil.

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    the browning bt99 has recoil reducing built in but they get pricey a good used one goes for about a grand

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I shot competiton trap for about 5 years when I was in high school I won the northern indiana zone championship when i was 15. I used a remington 11-87 sporting clays model and it worked great and I later used the gun for sporting clays. A browning bt99 is a great gun that is what my father used , but you cant use it for sporting clays when you have multiple birds. My father original used a browning citori O/U which worked good, but after holding a double barrel on the range for 2 hours it gets a little heavy. I would also stay away from a gun with a lot of recoil such as a pump. I started with a winchester model 12 and it beat the crap outta me when you would shoot 2-300 rounds an afternoon. It will make you develop a flinch which you do not want to do. My suggestion would be to get some sort of a semi auto shotgun.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I forgot to add stick to a 12 gauge it is a very hard sport to compete in and a 20 gauge will put you that much farther behind everybody else. My guns all had 30" barrels with interchangable choke tubes which is what you need because your yardages change as your skill level gets better.

Top Bottom