• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I decided to go with a complete Spikes Tactical lower, Hogue grip and Magpul MOE stock. I thought about grabbing a Plum Crazy lower, but for my first build i figured i would go with something more reputable. Here is a quick pic:

AR_complete_lower.jpg

Bet you can't guess what I'll be looking for this weekend at the 1500!

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Looks great! You made a good choice by going with a more established and reputable company (Spikes) over the Plum Crazy lower. The price difference isn't that much more and you get one heck of a rifle.

Thanks, I agree totally! For the upper, I plan to see what is available at the gun show this weekend. I have been looking around and from what I've seen on the web I'm thinking that I should be able to find something adequate for around $350 to $400 to start with. Eventually I would like to add a Yankee Hill quad rail, Magpul front grip, and Magpul rear flip up sight. I would also like to add a red dot that I can co-witness. Can any red dot be set up this way or only certain ones?

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had a Spikes lower for my build etched with a globe and anchor. I bought a standard 20" government Delton kit. Went together like a breeze. I will give it to my daughter next Christmas since she is coming back next month. All in all I spent about $500 for the setup.

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    Welcome to the club! I guess I can say that since I just started my first AR build too. I was at the same decision as you and, after reading LOTS of reviews on the PlumCrazy, decided to risk it and went that direction. My goal is to build it as light as possible. Just got it from my FFL today and I'm pretty impressed though I'm no expert.

Think I'm going with a Daniel Defense LW 14.5 barrel with a pinned BattleComp 1.5 on a DD A4 upper receiver. Probably DD Omega Rails but not sure what length yet. Would love to get an ACOG sight but will probably go with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 due to cost alone...maybe something even cheaper than that if anyone has suggestions.

When yours is all built, think you could throw it on a scale and let me know what the weight turns out to be? Would love to see some pics too! Glad I'm not the only one around here new to AR's.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would also like to add a red dot that I can co-witness. Can any red dot be set up this way or only certain ones?

Typically, yes, depending on the mount.

what is the shortest barrel you can go with before having to go nfa?

16 inches i believe

This is correct.

You can also have a 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider, which would result in an overall length of 16+", as kharb has discussed above.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Don't forget about Bravo Company either, they make a pretty reputably ar-15 upper for a pretty good price point. I got one sans front handguard/carry handle for 385

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget about Bravo Company either, they make a pretty reputably ar-15 upper for a pretty good price point. I got one sans front handguard/carry handle for 385

THAT WOULD BE PERFECT, I looked at their site and the only one I saw for $385 was the 12.5" barrel. I'm looking for a 16" barrel. They had some nice ones for $475 though! thanks for the heads up!! I don't need a plastic handguard or a carry handle. Flat top with a Free float is what I want.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I saw those, the only problem is once you get a bolt and carrier you are at $425 which is still a good price, just not as good as $275 :):

If you also bought the Bolt Carrier Group from DSA you'd be at $385. They have complete bolt carrier groups for $110

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    First build

I used a M&A complete flat top M4 upper that I got at the 1500 last summer for $400 with B/C included. It was assembled by LMT for them, using LMT parts. :twocents:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I used a M&A complete flat top M4 upper that I got at the 1500 last summer for $400 with B/C included. It was assembled by LMT for them, using LMT parts. :twocents:

Thanks, I went to the 1500 today and was able to pick up a Double Star complete upper for 395, that even included an upgrade to the Magpul MOE stock!

AR-15.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom