• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papasmurf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Indy
    Been looking at some older rifles and I think I would like to get my hands on a Mosin Nagant. Problem is I know very little about it. I was wondering if I could get some opinions about them and a little more facts about them.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Back when alot were imported cheaply I bought several for like $39 bucks each. With the surplus ammo and the iron sights we could hit steel plates at 500 yds with little trouble. They are lighter then most of the other comparable rifles and the bolts are clunky, but they shoot well.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    If you want to invest in a military bolt action, they are a blast to shoot. Paid $80.00 for a 91/30 and bought a couple bags of bullets. Shot em up and bought many more to practice. They do need to be cleaned, the bolt gets sticky from storage cosmolene, easily cleaned with hot water and dawn for dishes/ in a bucket. only shot mine from 150yds, hits easily on targets, kicks shoulder a bit. (I put on a slide on recoil pad from shotgun and is a breeze to shoot now). Overall cool rifle. It has a fireball when it fires and is very loud. Haven't fired the carbines but bet they are more so loud. You can use the bayonet to roast marshmellows on the grill or shish kababs! Get one now before Pres. OB does a number on them like Clinton.

JStark6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    In my opinion best bang for your buck... no pun intended. They are cheap to buy and if you are going to shoot surplus ammo very cheap to shoot. The only thing that is annoying about them is depending on where you buy it, if you buy it from a dealer it is most likely going to have cosmoline all over the rifle and you are going to have to field strip it and do a heavy duty cleaning. There are several different methods to do so, I just used a household degreaser called Simple Green and that worked like a charm. Aside from them being fun to shoot, part of the fun for owning military surplus rifles is the nostalgia that comes with it, the unknown history if you will. I highly recommend this rifle and if you have any questions just ask or look it up online.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Hey since you're in Indy, wander down the Bradis after you're done reading. They had dozens of 91/30's to look over the last time I was there.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    All the mosins at bradis are in rather poor shape and $150+.

Go up to beech grove guns. I was just in there this morning and they have 2 refurbished ones in real nice shape for $99 with all the accessories.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honest answer? They are a kick *** rifle. They are cheap, easy to maintain, and pack plenty of punch. If you are looking for an older Military rifle, you can not beat a Mosin. Ammo is still reasonably priced and is plentiful. Plus, there is not much you can not stop with the 7.62x54 round. I just recently picked one up, and can not wait to shoot it. Buy one, you will not regret it. Just make sure you look it over very well before you buy. Make sure there is no pitting in the barrel and such, from where corrosive ammo had been ran through it in the past.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    All the mosins at bradis are in rather poor shape and $150+.

Go up to beech grove guns. I was just in there this morning and they have 2 refurbished ones in real nice shape for $99 with all the accessories.

They're not THAT bad. You do have to pick through them to find a gem, but the nice thing about having that many is finding a year or arsenal you might be looking for.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I love my 91/30, it's nice to shoot and cheap too! Just be aware...Mosins multiply fast!!!

I picked mine up for $99 at cabelas and now I'm looking at getting a M44 MN. Go search a few guns shops, you'll find a good one.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    You can pick them up at dunhams for under $100 bucks alot of times too. They also sell an ATI stock for around $70, if you choose to make it look like a modern rifle.

JStark6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    I got mine at premier arms in Brownsburg for $129 and it is really good shape. If you are close i would stop in there and see if they have any in stock, if they
    don't they will be more than happy to order one for you.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I found a Polish numbers matching 1952 M44.Barrel looks good ,finish is around 70%. I was told $150 firm. I am still debating on buying it, I have no experience with Mosin's.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They are all fun to shoot. I prefer the M44, I like the look of the shorter barrel and the fireball it produces. Not to mention when you go to the range to the unfamiliar it has a certain WOW! factor. It always gets peoples attention. My wife wanted to shoot the M44 untill she saw the fireball, now I can't get her to try it. I did get my dad and brother hooked.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Mosins are a whole bunch of fun on many levels. At its most basic level, they are a really fun rifle to shoot but when you get into the history of them, they become even more interesting. My favorites are the Finnish Mosins because of the history behind them. I really get a kick (no pun intended) out of taking a Finnish Mosin to the range in the snow and shooting prone. You cannot help but to think that the rifle has been in that situation before during the winter war with Russia. It feels like you are letting it experience a bit of its past.

But all of the Mosins are interesting rifles. Personally, I think there should be a Mosin in just about every house. Americans are historically rifleman and there are just not enough Springfields to go around, so Mosins can fill that bill.

Top Bottom