• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • driver4562

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    West side of Indy
    So I have decided I want to buy a house shotgun. Mainly keeping it in the house for added protection and maybe shoot some close range targets at the range. Would like to have some flexibility with making additions to it later and maybe look at using it for deer hunting some day but not right way. this is what I think I want so far.

1. 20 Ga. - lower recoil main thing here
    2. 18 -20 inch barrel - easier to get around in the house with
    3. prefer Pump over auto
    4. wanting to spend between 200 and 400 tops.

What I have looked at:

Rem Model 870 Express Synthetic 18" (12 ga) only - issue
    Stevens modle 350 (12 ga) only - issue
    New England Firearms Persuader? 20ga but never really heard of them...
    Mossy 500 - field and security combo - 12 ga only...

I am looking for any suggestion, and info on the ones I have looked at getting...

So what do you guys and gals think?

BTW Thanks in advance.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If it were me, I'd go with a 12ga over a 20 any time based solely upon ammunition selection availability. With low or managed recoil loads being available in the 12ga, that puts the 20ga out of the running due to that consideration IMHO. I just think that the 12ga is better choice for versatility, but that's just me. I'm also a Remington fanboy when it comes to pump shotguns, but I wouldn't steer you away from a Mossberg 500 if that's what floats your boat.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm no scattergun expert, but I would say the Remington 870 would fill all those applications nicely. You mention "flexibilty"- that's Remington- everyone makes everything for them. In my neck of the woods, 20ga 870s with 18" barrels go for about $230. Remington puts out one model of 20ga with a magazine extension as well.

Another consideration that's not as "flexible" but really nice and affordable is the Winchester 1300. Benelli also makes an entry grade model for a bit more, but I have no experience with it.

nickl16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I have 2 Remington 870's one for sport and one for defense and they are great. My defense gun is the 870 express home defense 18" barrel and 12 ga. the kick is not what I would consider unbearable. You can also purchase the low recoil buckshot as well. The reliability is great and there is huge aftermarket support as well. I will recommend ahead of time don't bother with a pistol grip only, a stock is a must if you want any type of accuracy.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Saiga 12. Why? Because on Monday, you will never be able to buy one again.

If not that. Mossberg 590 9 shot. Best bang for your buck. New Remingtons SUCK.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

You'd really have a hard time going wrong with either the Mossberg 500 / 590 or the Remington 870. Or a Winchester 1300 if you can find one in good shape.

They're all just about perfect the way they are and can be tailored to your every desire very easily.

The one big drawback with Mossberg, though: If it doesn't come with a factory extended magazine tube, adding an aftermarket one will be nigh-on impossible due to how their endcaps/barrel lugs work together.

You might also want to think about a Maverick 88...made by Mossberg. These are bottom of the barrel prices , but not at all bottom of the barrel quality. You can also get one with a 20" bbl + extended (And flush!) mag tube for right around $220 right here in Indianapolis. Not sure that I've seen a 20ga, though... (both Bradis and Tactical Shotgunner have 'em for roughly the same price).

As far as what gauge to get... Again, ultimately your choice. Pros and cons of either. But: You can always find milder loaded 12ga and/or recoil absorbing devices. MUCH more difficult to get more oomph out of a 20ga.

A 12ga with recoil-reducing stock + reduced recoil loads = no pain to shoot.

-J-

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    3. prefer Pump over auto
    20 is a good choice when overall weight of the actual gun is an issue. You may end up with more recoil but a 5lb gun is ideal for some shooters. Then you may have to do a few things to reduce recoil and that drives the weight back up to more like a lighter weight 12 gauge.

Viscious cycle. Truth is in a Pump a heavier 12 gauge with light loads recoils less.

But for 20 gauge pump, go look at the 870 Express Jr. 20 gauge model with 12" LOP and 18" Vent Rib barrel. Compact to the 10th degree. It is a special run gun at Gander Mtn but you can "create" your own if you find a used gun of any brand. Food for thought.

Pump Action Shotguns - Model 870 Express Jr - Special Run Shotgun - Remington Shotguns

Similar gun, weighs 5 3/4lbs
    Compact Shotgun - Model 870 Express Compact Jr - Remington Shotguns

If you really want to see a Tactical 20, go to tacticalshotgunner.com, their shop is on east side of Indy and ask to see Patty's 20 gauge, if it is in the shop. She has an 870 with Knoxx stock on it, not the folder, the adjustable recoil reducing stock. If you get a base gun cheap enough, the gun + stock could be under $400.

Last edited:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I vote for a Remington 870 12 gauge. I would also steer away from pistol grip only shotguns, they are not as easy to aim and aquire a target as most might think. I bought a couple of police trade-ins both had 18" barrels and one has a folding stock, they function as the should and they were priced reasonable. Shop around, there are still some good buys on used shotguns and even new 870's.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'd also recommend a 12, with the variety of ammo finding something low recoil is easy.

Lower price range, Mossberg Maverick 88, one step up Mossberg 500, top in your price range Rem 870, checkout Tactical Shotgunner they can help you a lot

TacticalShotgunner.com

lonnie58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    I think it really depends on what you want to pay or if you are willing to go with a second hand gun. The 870 has a lot more aftermarket support than any of the others but then the Mossberg 500 isn't a bad choice either, just not as much support. Both are pretty reliable. I now own two 870s, one for hunting with multiple barrels which makes it great for any type of hunting. The other is my defense tactical gun. Oh and yes the just pistol handle setup is only good for close in targets... point and shoot. I've used a lot of those and prefer the adjustable stocks with a pistol grip.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Rem 870 or a mossberg 500 will fill the bill & with the variety of 12 guage ammo available with low recoil made for home defense,i would opt for it other than the 20 guage .I would agree that pistol grips look cool but do not give well aimed shots when necessary.

driver4562

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    West side of Indy
    So I have decided I want to buy a house shotgun. Mainly keeping it in the house for added protection and maybe shoot some close range targets at the range. Would like to have some flexibility with making additions to it later and maybe look at using it for deer hunting some day but not right way. this is what I think I want so far.

3. prefer Pump over auto

What I have looked at:

Rem Model 870 Express Synthetic 18" (12 ga) only - issue
    Stevens modle 350 (12 ga) only - issue
    New England Firearms Persuader? 20ga but never really heard of them...
    Mossy 500 - field and security combo - 12 ga only...

I am looking for any suggestion, and info on the ones I have looked at getting...

So what do you guys and gals think?

BTW Thanks in advance.

SO I have looked at a few things since I have posted this gone to a few stores and figured a few things out for myself. I think I have decided on a 12 gauge Maverick 88 security or field model, with either 6 or 8 round magazine.

the Mossberg and the Maverick are basically the same gun, the Rem 870 was nice too. I had a bit of trouble reaching the the Pump release to work the action on the 870. and the Maverick works better with my small hands... Also looked at youth shotguns of the 870 just didn't feel right either.

Going to call around the local store and get price and time to get it in if they need to order it. Going to look at TSG on the south side first.

thanks and tell me if you think I am making a huge mistake by going with maverick instead of Mossberg.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Look hard at an 870 used they can be a bargain that will hold it's value well. Accessories are readily available, along with any parts you might need. Mine is an old Wing Master model with a corncob forearm, sold the slug barrel, bought a special purpose 28" ribbed barrel and have taken turkey with it. Picked up a un-ribbed barrel, cut it to 18.5" and reset the bead, for defense use. As for ammo, remember even 2 3/4" buckshot shells are powerful enough to be lethal through standard drywall and 2X4 walls. Agilla makes a low power short shell, with their short overall length a standard shotgun mag will hold about 8......:@ya:...Duce<><

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    SO I have looked at a few things since I have posted this gone to a few stores and figured a few things out for myself. I think I have decided on a 12 gauge Maverick 88 security or field model, with either 6 or 8 round magazine.

the Mossberg and the Maverick are basically the same gun, the Rem 870 was nice too. I had a bit of trouble reaching the the Pump release to work the action on the 870. and the Maverick works better with my small hands... Also looked at youth shotguns of the 870 just didn't feel right either.

Going to call around the local store and get price and time to get it in if they need to order it. Going to look at TSG on the south side first.

thanks and tell me if you think I am making a huge mistake by going with maverick instead of Mossberg.

If your intent is just a HD shotgun you will be fine with the Maverick, now if you want to use it for any kind of competition I would look at the 870, Maverick security model is $219.95 at TSG, 1 in stock as of last thurs, I'd call before you come just in case

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I would look into the Mossberg 590. Personally, for me, I like the placement of the safety on the Mossberg compared to the location on the 870

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I would look into the Mossberg 590. Personally, for me, I like the placement of the safety on the Mossberg compared to the location on the 870

Yea I prefer ergonomics on my Mossberg 500 & 590A1 over the ergo's on my Remington 870, but that's more of a personal preference thing.

That said, either platform the OP chooses are well proven & should be just fine for HD work, shell selection is more important IMHO than what it is launched out of ... personally I keep Federal Law Enforcement reduced recoil 00 buck in my 590A1 again it's a proven load that holds a very tight pattern & preforms extremely well even at distances.

Top Bottom