Where to get 458 socom upper for good price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Does anyone know where I should look to buy a good new/used 458 socom upper? I know that RRA has them, but just thought I'd check with you all first.

Thanks,
    Stand.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    If you are buying it for the primary reason of deer hunting with an AR it is a good choice, but if the 1.8 rule takes effect, then the 450 Bushmaster becomes legal. Uppers and ammo are cheaper and easier to get. Now the argument could be made the Socom is a better round and I would not disagree, but the Bushmaster is pretty decent and likely any deer hit would not know the difference. If the idea is pure tactical, well you gotta go Socom .

standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Thanks for the info.... but please give me more information on what the 1.8 rule is? Is this a bill that is headed to the legislators during the session starting on Monday?

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I don't know about any bill on Monday, what I do know is that it is part of the new comprehensive rule change of the deer regulations that are to take in effect in 2012. However this change of the overall max case length for Pistol Caliber Rifles falls into a niche that does not need to wait for the whole approval process and rumor is that it might just be written in for the 2011 season. We will just have to wait and see. I would keep an eye on any threads regarding this rule and the deer regulations in general.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am all for the .458 SOCOM so I am not trying to sound like I am bashing. Has anyone ever taken a deer with one? I am curious as to its capability is what I am asking.

OP, great thread as I was just talking to someone else recently about this.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    My buddy took a doe at 150 yards with his this season, but he didnt get a very good shot on it. He said it dropped it then it got up and was limpin away and while he was tracking it he got stopped by a DNR who saw him carrying an AR-15 and had some questions for him. After his gun checked out the deer had gone onto somebody elses property where he couldnt go to get it, so it got away. But 150 yd shot in the hindquarters he said there was massive amounts of blood and he said it dropped for at least a minute before it got up. I guess it ended up being dinner for a coyote instead though.

Top Bottom