• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    I'm about to be finishing college and will finally have money to start a long awaited AR project, but all of my previous experience has come with handguns. I'm thinking 5.56, but am completely clueless in regards to quality of different manufacturers, different barrel twists, upper and lower compatibility, etc. Figured this was the best place to come for advice!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Alot of questions to be answered there, but once you understand ARs then they are really pretty simple. Assembling one requires a few tools but not many and is really straight forward.

I suggest to buy a stripped lower, LPK (lower parts kit) and the stock set of your choice. And right now its about as cheap to buy a complete upper as to get the barrel, upper and small parts seperately. You can also save $$ by purchasing a complete lower and complete upper seperately and then its just 2 pull/ push pins away from assembly.

As far as brands, thats like Ford vs. Chevy but most are great as stripped lowers except Hesse and there have been some issues w/ Roggio Arsenal (SP?) too. (Shooter521 can give you a present day status on these)

5.56 is always a good place to start, barrel twist depends on your expected usage and what bullet weights you intend to shoot, 1/9 is good for 55 & 62gr. or 1/7 if you intend to shoot alot of 62gr and heavier and at farther distances.

As far as compatibilty, if you choose 5.56 just dont get a lower for 7.62 and then 9mm requires a mag block and a different hammer in most cases. And the uppers are dedicated to the caliber and should be marked as such... ie. 5.56mm.

I know I havent answered everything but I HTH,

Good luck and keep us posted

trigger643

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've built a few, but am by no means an expert.

The last 5 or 6 have all been with Tactical Innovations T-15 lowers. Cost wise, they run with the back (about $100), but have some features I really like, like an integral tensioning screw for firm upper/lower fit and a rear detent capture screw. The quality is first class. AR15 LOWER RECEIVERS - Tactical Innovations Inc. - Idaho Official.

You should decide what you are going to be using it for. Like most things, trying to build a do-all, will usually end in a marginal result that may or may not be adequate for anything. So, you have to decide on whether you want a fun casual range gun, a tacticoolaid gun, a varmint or a precision rifle.

A good place to play around and get some ideas is Brownell's AR builder.
    AR-15 Builder - Build and Customize your own AR15 | Brownells

As you've no doubt noticed, there are numerous products out there. Most are really good. Some are questionable and some serve no purpose at all other than to separate you from your money and/or cause hours of frustration. A lot of the time it comes down to personal preference or cost.

I second Lock and Load regarding a complete upper. Price-wise most of them are running about what you can get the sum of their part for. My last three builds were all done with complete uppers (YHM and Bushmaster), that from a cost standpoint, I couldn't have bought the parts individually.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm going to throw this idea out there, even though you are talking about building for your first. Buy a complete rifle. For your first AR, you might as well get one already put together so you can have fun with the platform. Find one in 5.56, 16" barrel carbine, and go from there. You will get a better idea of what it is you want/like in the rifle platform, and you can custormize your first one from there. Also, you won't save that much money building your own, so might as well save the time and spend it shootin!

As far as which manufacture? One of the best deals running is coming from Spike Tactical. There are several sight advertisers that can hook you up with them.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'm going to throw this idea out there, even though you are talking about building for your first. Buy a complete rifle. For your first AR, you might as well get one already put together so you can have fun with the platform. Find one in 5.56, 16" barrel carbine, and go from there. You will get a better idea of what it is you want/like in the rifle platform, and you can custormize your first one from there. Also, you won't save that much money building your own, so might as well save the time and spend it shootin!

As far as which manufacture? One of the best deals running is coming from Spike Tactical. There are several sight advertisers that can hook you up with them.

^This, but I'm partial to the midlength:
    ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5035-MLS] - $809.95 : Spikes Tactical

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also, you won't save that much money building your own, so might as well save the time and spend it shootin!

I too am a fan of "buy your first, build the rest".

Either of those above links are about the best deal going in complete mil-spec ARs.

Here is my review on the carbine version: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_spike_s_tactical_st-15_m4_le_carbine.html

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ARs are nice projects, and pretty simple.

But deciding if you want to build your own, or just buy on depends on a couple criteria:
    1) What are you going to use it for
    2) What do you want on it

Sometimes, with special options, it would be cheaper just to build one, but if a simple stock one fits your needs the best might as well just by a stock one.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am looking at building my first, I went with the "buy the first, build the rest" and I am glad I did, you can try out parts and then when you build your first you don't waste money on parts that you will replace anyways.

I have done some pricing too and Del-Ton and Spikes are what I am looking at for stripped lowers and maybe BCM for an upper but I am no where near getting the upper yet.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Sounds like another build party is in need..... if nothing else newer AR guys could look at and handle alot of different variations and brands of ARs and figure out what would fit their needs & wants.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    It really depends on what you want. I went with the build 1st because I wanted a certain style. If you want a basic M16 look alike or a M4 look alike there are several inexpensive options out there. If you want a certain hand guard (rail), special stock, special trigger, its probably easier to build it the way you want. After the 1st one, I got the bug and built another. Now I'm looking at a couple more builds. Its really not all that difficult to build it yourself. If you spend a good amount of time searching the internet, you can find the best deal for the part you are looking for and then piece it all together.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    I would also suggest purchasing your first gun prior to building one. I would say the Spikes as before mentioned would be the best way to go. I really think highly of CMMG, Stag, Saber Defense and Rock River Arms. But again that is Chevy to Ford. There are alot of good manufacturers out there as well so you should be ok in that regard.

Top Bottom