• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    In prep for my first build Ive come to a dilemma on which caliber I want to run through the rifle.

I have an AK, and I know 7.62x39 ammo is about 1/2 the price of the .223/5.56 stuff Ive seen. So that's what leads to my issue. Is there any advantage/disadvantage of the 7.62x39 vs. .223/5.56??

Any help is appreciated!

thanks,
    clay

Meyertrees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Borden, IN
    I have been thinking about buying a 7.62x39 upper for an AR. I think it would give you more choice in ammo. I have no experience with this but it looks easy to do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Some people report (on other forums) that the taper in the 7.62x39 case does not feed reliably in the AR15 due to the fact that the top couple inches of the AR mags are straight, while the AK mags are curved for their entire length.

I have no experience with an AR in this caliber, I'm just relaying what I've seen reported many times on several other forums. I do know that at least one company makes a modified AR lower that has a short mag well modified for the AK magazines to eliminate the feeding problem.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If i were to do it, I'd get an AR-47 lower (what melensdad described.) Uses cheaper ak mags and fixes your feeding problems.

:twocents:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I did notice that the ar15/7.62x39 mags are pretty expensive, like $25 each, ie 2x as much as regular mags.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The 5.56 has a flatter trajectory. The 7.62x39 is ballistically similar to the .30-30. The 7.62 will likely punch through some barriers better. On unarmored soft targets, personally, I prefer 5.56.

Since you have an AK already, getting an AR in 7.62 would give you ammo compatability. OTOH, getting an AR in 5.56 would allow you to use 5.56 ammo if the scenario arises where that's what's easiest to get. FWIW, my last 1k rounds of 5.56 came in a 32 cents a round for good, new, Federal M193 with Lake City brass and sealed primers (1 month ago). Sounds like you're finding comparible 7.62x39 for 16 cents a round is that right?

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Embrace your inner madman and go with the .458 SOCOM! Sure the rounds are $3 a piece but it uses your regular .223 mags!

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    AR = 5.56
    AK = 7.62x39

Don't try to change it - just embrace it.

There's no point - (that I see) in getting an AR in 7.62x39 or an ak in 5.56.

If you get the AK in 5.56 - you've just upped your ammo prices for a cheap weapon...

If you get the AR in 7.62 - the AR is going to get dirtier faster and become less reliable + the mags are hard to get - and expensive.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I have several 5.56 Ar's and also have a 7.62x39 AR. I used a AR47 lower to take AK mags because thats the only way to get reliable mags.

I love the AR47 but I spent around $1800 on my build and it is no where near as accurate as my basic $6-700 5.56's. With the x39 it is more the cartridge that limits accuracy then the weapon platform. My Ak's are not tack drivers and will usually shoot 4in groups at 100yds and forget about 300yrd groups. The AR47 is much more accurate and can shoot 1.5in groups with handloads, im not the best shot and it could most likely get closer to 1in. BUT out to 300yds my groups open up to 6in and thats due to design of the round. The 5.56 can shoot the same at 100yds and holds it groups much better out to 300yrds even with iron sights and if I built a $1800 5.56 with optics my 300trd groups would be ALOT better the x39.

All that said I would never get ride of my AR47 but if I had to pick one it would be a 5.56 becuase of the accuracy factor all this said my Ak's and AR47 always go to the range with me and most of the times the 5.56's sit in the safe.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    ...Or do what I did and get an AR-10 for a real 7.62 (7.62X51):rockwoot: That little ArmaLite Carbine surprised me as to how little recoil there was and how much fun she is to shoot :cool:

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    http://www.ar-47.com/

My cost is about $280 ea for the stripped lower.
    The upper must be modified (Milled).
    Not sure what's involved, I'm just not an AR guy.

57465404_m.jpg

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    AR = 5.56
    AK = 7.62x39

Don't try to change it - just embrace it.

There's no point - (that I see) in getting an AR in 7.62x39 or an ak in 5.56.

If you get the AK in 5.56 - you've just upped your ammo prices for a cheap weapon...

If you get the AR in 7.62 - the AR is going to get dirtier faster and become less reliable + the mags are hard to get - and expensive.

I like the way you think. You should be an XD guy. :laugh:

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like the way you think. You should be an XD guy. :laugh:

I tried XDs in 9mm/40/45 - not my style - a needless safety located on the grip, sucky trigger.....not as reliable as glocks - once the XD mags get dirty = game over, and at the time there wasn't a way to get spare parts & it's a pain the the arse to completely take down - pass

Back on subject ;)
    Get the AR in 223

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've never seen a 7.62 AR that ran anywhere close to reliable enough for me to even consider it.

If ammo was a huge factor for me, I'd be looking at a 5.45X39 upper. I've got first hand information from reliable sources who are preparing extensive write ups on the S&W upper offering that say as long as you use the right mag, the are as reliable as the best AR (just a hint, the factory mags made by C products aren't the right ones to use). Ammo for the 5.45 is even cheaper than the 7.62.

If I was looking for a bigger hit, it'd be 6.8SPC. but I don't think that was your intention.

Either way, the lower get's built the same as a 5.56 it’s just an upper and mag swap to change calibers.

I know we’ve had this discussion before, but someone else brought it up, for the record I have run about 5000 rounds of wolf 5.56 through one of my AR’s as a test bed. It was dirty as I’ve ever seen ammo run, but the malfunction rate wasn’t too bad. I think I figured the rate at about 3%-5% if I cleaned every 500 or so rounds. It went to 10% if I let the cleaning stretch much beyond that.
    One more note, only use the polycoated stuff. The lacquer coated stuff is a miserable mess to try and clean out of every orifice once it’s cooled off and dried. I also got a really great piece of advice from Henk Iverson. When he was doing the same thing I did, testing wolf’s new poly coated, he found that the extractors would break with little to no advanced warning, even with significant cleaning and inspection. His advice was to never use wolf steel case with your defensive bolt. He has a separate bolt carrier group that he labeled and drops in whenever he’s running wolf ammo.

Tinman….

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I've never seen a 7.62 AR that ran anywhere close to reliable enough for me to even consider it.

If ammo was a huge factor for me, I'd be looking at a 5.45X39 upper. I've got first hand information from reliable sources who are preparing extensive write ups on the S&W upper offering that say as long as you use the right mag, the are as reliable as the best AR (just a hint, the factory mags made by C products aren't the right ones to use). Ammo for the 5.45 is even cheaper than the 7.62.

If I was looking for a bigger hit, it'd be 6.8SPC. but I don't think that was your intention.

Either way, the lower get's built the same as a 5.56 it’s just an upper and mag swap to change calibers.

I know we’ve had this discussion before, but someone else brought it up, for the record I have run about 5000 rounds of wolf 5.56 through one of my AR’s as a test bed. It was dirty as I’ve ever seen ammo run, but the malfunction rate wasn’t too bad. I think I figured the rate at about 3%-5% if I cleaned every 500 or so rounds. It went to 10% if I let the cleaning stretch much beyond that.
    One more note, only use the polycoated stuff. The lacquer coated stuff is a miserable mess to try and clean out of every orifice once it’s cooled off and dried. I also got a really great piece of advice from Henk Iverson. When he was doing the same thing I did, testing wolf’s new poly coated, he found that the extractors would break with little to no advanced warning, even with significant cleaning and inspection. His advice was to never use wolf steel case with your defensive bolt. He has a separate bolt carrier group that he labeled and drops in whenever he’s running wolf ammo.

Tinman….

7.62X39 or X51 NATO? The AR-10 was the first AR to fire the .308 Winchester and NATO. I wouldnt want a AR in 7.62X39 - only 5.56 or 7.62 NATO - of which the platform was designed....

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    my biggest factor in even looking at 7.62x39 is I already have it. But from what Ive read, it looks like it might not be worth it unless I want to go to an AR47 lower, which might be an option at some point but for my first build it looks like Im sticking with .223/5.56.

thanks everyone!

Kingkarl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Against the grain, mostly
    Wolf .223

OK, someone mentioned the Wolf .223 on here. What do you guys have to say about it? 2 different guys told me they would never buy it again due to jamming. Both were shooting in AR weapons.
    I almost bought a case at Bradis today but remembered my two friends dissapointment with it. And one of them really had a hard time getting it out! Not just a mere inconvenience.

What say you, dear reader/user?

Top Bottom