• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I've got a new AR15 and was trying to decide on a scope to put on it. It is a DPMS Sportical. I put on some iron sights from Cheaper Than Dirt and had a question maybe someone could answer.

Will the rail risers that are "see through" be high enough to allow me to use the iron sights and also provide the clearance the scope needs for the front iron sight?

What would be a reasonable priced scope to stick on it? You could also translate this as "I'm cheap and want the best scope for my money".

Thanks,
    PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If it were mine, and I wanted a scoped flattop and be able to use my irons on a whim, I would simply install a QD mount for the scope. This way you keep your scope closer to the bore axis and it doesn't look like it is on stilts.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What would be a reasonable priced scope to stick on it? You could also translate this as "I'm cheap and want the best scope for my money".

Thanks,
    PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Don't put your scope on those tall risers, it will actually be harder to use than you'd expect because you'll have a harder time getting a good cheek weld when trying to aim.

As for the scope, try Bushnell, Simons, Nikon, Pentax, etc. Most scopes are now made in China, but I'd stick with one of the bigger names and buy their budget scope if you are "cheap" and want to stick with the lower priced brands. I've got 2 NcStar cheap scopes (neither are mounted on guns!). I'd not recommend them. You can get some of the other brands for under $100 and have an easier time with warranty, better selection of styles, etc.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have a cheap NCStar scope on one of my AR's and it is OK. Have not shot it a lot so I can not tell you how durable it will be. Cost was about $70. Cheap way to go while you save for a better optic.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I've been really happy with the Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn on my match/varmant AR... It's a 4-12x40-OA... The airgun guys say they can't break them, so they will DEFINATELY stand up to any powder-charged rifle...

The power depends on what you're using it for, but like I say, I got the 4-12 for targets of the round paper and small furry kind... Bushnell Outdoor Products

I also went with the $40 Promag 1-piece scope mount MidwayUSA - ProMag Scope Mount with 1" Integral Rings AR-15 Flattop Aluminum Black
    though, I think I got mine from Natchezss for like $40... Though, to do it again, I think I'd go with a raised rail that sticks out over the tube, and a regular set of rings, so I could get a bit more eye relief... Mine looks like this:

med_gallery_991_46_126159.jpg

Mike

Top Bottom