• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    1. What is the minimum tool list I can reasonably get away with?

2. Must I buy a castle nut wrench for the buttstock, and if so, are their different sizes for commercial vs mil spec buffer tubes?

3. Del Ton says to have a gunsmith check the headspace, is this necessary, or is this lawyer stuff?

4. Anything else I need to know for my first build?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    For my first one I didnt buy a castle nut wrench. I took a pair of slip jaw offset pliers and plastidipped the jaws. A perfect non marring way to tighten and loosen a castle nut in a pinch. I also plastidipped a punch and tapped the notch in the castle nut to make sure it was snug.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Yep just lawyer stuff, I never pay any attention to any of that.. BOOOOOM.

Make fun of my ignorance if you like, but the reason I asked is that it comes assembled and I've read several other places that it isn't necessary to check it with a kit rifle. Since there are some very knowlegeable folks here, I thought I'd ask the question.

Thanks for your "help."

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I won't take credit for this - found it posted at snipers hide. It makes sense. I've never checked headspace in any ARs I've built (all but one from an upper kit).

"Your headspace on the AR is not effected by swapping out a barrel nut and rail. The barrel nut just holds the barrel onto the upper. The barrel extension, attached to the barrel (part that slips into the upper) is what will maintain your headspace and they are pined on and you wont be changing it, so you are good. Just torque down and go.."

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    If your upper comes assembled, you should not need to headspace it. All uppers should have .620 tenon length with .130 headspace. Unless your bolt or extension are not in spec, they will headspace within tolerance.

I would get a set of roll pin punches and holders to build the lower.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    IMHO check head space .
    You can find the gages at fosters,midway,brownells ,ect ,and you can get the armores tool for the castel nut,barrel nut it's a combo tool.
    Buy the right tools to do the build with or find someone around you that has the right tools
    Try this link http://artactical.net/ar15_headspace.htm
    Some good info on there .Good luck,Be safe,post pics .

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    My tool list for assembling a lower:

multi-tip screwdriver
    3/32 brass punch
    plastic headed hammer
    small needle nose pliers
    adjustable wrench
    a rose wrench or shotgun choke wrench for the buttstock nut

Plus, if it is a Del-ton kit, the upper will come with a fired round when it was assembled and headspaced.

Have fun with your build!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'm pretty sure I got away with only a screwdriver, a small set of punches (5pk from walmart), and a pair of needle-nose pliers. And I got a castle nut span wrench just because I didn't have anything else to tighten it down with.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have my trusty P38 (you youngsters wouldn't know nothin' 'bout that) but it sounds like that alone may not get the job done.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    1. Check out the brownells AR build toolset, it's $100 but you can find some of them cheaper elsewhere. I'd say you can get that toolset down to $60-$70 and it will have universal AR wrenches.

3. Just buy a headspace guage.

4. Brownells, UltimateReloader, and youtube have many build from scratch AR vids. I'd recommend watching a couple of them for tips & tricks.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Roll punches, screw driver / allen wrench for grip, and vice grips with the jaws taped up for the roll pin and castle nut. The punches are good for all of the roll pins except the pin that holds in the bolt release. That is a PITA to do with a punch. But a vice grips will do the trick if you start wind and slowly adjust the jaw width to squeeze it farther and farter in. You can then "set" the roll pin just below flush with the punch.

I did get a low cost castle nut tool and was glad I did.

I'm sure you've already found some good directions for the lower build, but if not, I used these on both my builds.

:: Guides

ETA- My first build was a Del-Ton kit. Comes headspaced and fired from the factory if you buy the complete upper with BCG or the full kit (minus lower). No need to get a head space gage.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Things you need to make it a lot easier - AR 15 multi tool, set of punches, small needle nose pliers, roll pin starter, small hammer, rubber mallot, vise and lower receiver vise block.

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Bought my Stag as a parts kit. Had never touched one before. As long as you have a brass punch for pins, screwdriver, small hammer and possibly a small socket set you should do fine. Looked up the spring setup online other than that pretty simple.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't know what a P38's going to do for you until it's time to break out the ammo. Question: has any of you had one fail the headspace? If so, what can you do about it? If it's off at all, the bolt won't twist into the lugs. The headspace is built into the barrel. Not adjustable. I've never worried about it, and never had a problem. Have I just been lucky?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Don't know what a P38's going to do for you until it's time to break out the ammo. Question: has any of you had one fail the headspace? If so, what can you do about it? If it's off at all, the bolt won't twist into the lugs. The headspace is built into the barrel. Not adjustable. I've never worried about it, and never had a problem. Have I just been lucky?

Don't you know that a P38 can do pretty much anything - from slitting a guard's throat in a POW camp to overhauling a jeep engine? Clearly sir, you know very little about the mighty P38.

Top Bottom