• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I purchased a wood stock to replace the plastic one on my Marlin. The new stock is plain hardwood without any checkering. Is there anyone in the Indy area that does this kind of work? I like the look way more than a plain stock, and like the added grip also. Any books or tutorials on doing this sort of thing? :spend:

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Stock checkering

I just did a custom stock for a Marlin 80 from curly maple and did my own checkering. It really wasn't too bad to do. I would just practice on some similar wood with similar curvature. If you go slow, realize what is going on in the process, and again, go slow, you can probably do it. This is assuming you are relatively handy. Once you put your first guidelines on though you are committed, so be damn sure you are confident enough to carry through the whole project. As strange as it may sound, I did better simply with a 90 degree single groove cutter eyballing the spacing than with the guide cutters.

Practice on scraps of wood and see what you can do. The worse that can happen is you have some fancier kindling to start a fire!

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I may give it a go myself. " If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." (Red Green) That's me... Between the wife and kids always breaking/abusing stuff and me fixing it I have to be. I've done some woodworking, aviation sheetmetal and composites, jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy. I even built some wild cars in the 5 years between aviation jobs.
    picture.php

Top Bottom